Night fishing tip

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by bluecatnut, Jul 14, 2006.

1. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    here is a tip i use in slow moving rivers lakes and ponds i cast out my line and let it hit bottom then i place my rod in the rod holder at about a 45 and pull out about 6 ft of line and place a regular ole glow stick or even the battery operated glow stick. in between the 2nd and 3rd and let it hang down and when u get even a little tug the glow stick will move allite but when a big ole fish hits it usually makes the glow stick fly off i hope this helps y'all

Attached Files:

2. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Ive dont that with small clip on bobbers too .. I clip it on , but turn the metal deal so it DOESN'T seat back into the bobber... I've had kittys hit it so hard it hit the rod and break the bobber heh...

3. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    Thanks for the tip, Blue!

-Red

4. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    Good idea, but I tape the glow stick to my rod and fish my line tight. This works good for me but will keep your ieda in mind the next time I am out at night.

5. Georgiajack

Georgiajack New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Good tricks, thanks ! Jack :smile2:

6. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

thats pretty nifty. thanks for the tip.

7. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    What can I say marines are genius!!! Nice tip Dusty, will keep that in my bag of tricks for a later use!

Aaron

TA2D

PS This should go to the LIBRARY

8. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    one more thing it works good for live bluegill also but u have to use a bigger chunk of lead

9. Backwater

Backwater New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Nice informative post, good visual too!

10. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Have to try that when I get back.

SudDawg

11. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    Thats a pretty nice tip. Thanx!

12. trackeryak

trackeryak New Member

State:
    Mechanicsburg PA
    I do the bobber deal. I clip it on between two guides close to the reel and leave enough slack so the bobber hangs down, just above the ground. Any little bit is easily detectible. It works great!

13. Gabowman

Gabowman Member

State:
    Georgia
    I usually fish my line with the reel disengaged with bait clickers on and try keeping a tight line. I'll have to remember this. Thanks for the tip.

14. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    The way I use the glow sticks is to attach them on the tip of the rod with small rubber o-rings and hang them off the bottom of the rod, nothing is in the way and easy to remove.

15. grunt111

grunt111 New Member

State:
    ga
    good stuff i guess i should try that

16. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Whenever I fish from the bank I use "the stick trick".

Take a maple or any stick,(green is best) skin the bark off, trim it to 5 or 6 inches or so, cut a small diagonal slice into the thicker end, 2 of 3 inches down from what will be the top. Hang this on the line using the slit and press the slit closed around the line.
    I fish a semi-tight line and hang the stick in front of the pole 8 to 24 inches.

The benefits are...

Availability, you can find one most anywhere at no cost.

Marks your line well. And at night, the "white" of a freshly skinned stick will show up well in lantern light, fire light, or moon light.

Sensitivity. If you put the heavy end up, and almost over balance it, it will show even the smallest peck.

Release. On a good strike or upon setting the hook it will literally fly off of the line. This is also good for those times when you may not be paying close attention to your rod. Yep, I have been hit in the head, saving my rod from a drowning. Most time though you will hear it hit the shore. Run, don't walk, to your pole! LOL!

I can't take credit for this. I learned it from an old and slightly intoxicated Fisherman I shared the bank with one afternoon many, many moons ago.

17. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Sounds like a great idea. Has to work better than a bobber fastened to the line. Be easier to see. Great drawing . Thanks.

18. bhunt

bhunt New Member

State:
    *Required*
    Thanks for the tip.

19. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I used to use the bobbers also (when I didn' thave baitclickers), but this would be more visible at night.

20. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    I'll have to try the glow sticks next time I go out.