Night fishing regulations

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by swmo guy, Mar 26, 2008.

1. swmo guy

swmo guy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I was wondering if any of you could help me with a question. I typically night fish for cats and I have to fish from the banks. I have noticed that many of the MDC Public access areas are marked as being closed from 10pm to 4am, however, when you read the conservation codes it specifically states that you can fish 24 hours a day at these locations. I got run off by a deputy sheriff last summer and was wondering if anyone else had run into this problem and/or had any suggestions. Can you truely fish there all night or am i misunderstanding what I have read?

2. Dredge

Dredge Member

State:
    Arnold,Missouri
    I've been told that M.D.C. sites are open 24/7 for the purpose of fishing only.You can sit and fish,if you behave yourself.The closings are supposed to be for vehicles and traffic,parties,etc.Be nice to the officer and tell him you just want to use the area to fishand not be rowdy.Make sure to clean up well,also.These rules apply to M.D.C. land usage only,not to city or county parks or special regulation areas.If you are in dought,contact your nearest conservation office.Hope this helps a little.

3. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    As long as you have a pole with line in the water they cant say anything. The local police used to spotlight me on a regular basis til they figured out i might be out there anytime day or nite. No matter the weather.

4. swmo guy

swmo guy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for the help! I printed our the portion of the code that says we can be there 24/7 and I plan on keeping it with me in case I come into contact with another officer that is not familiar with the rules.

I ALWAYS clean up after myself any time I go fishing. I take a trash bag with me and not only do I pick up my stuff, but I pick up other trash until my bag is full. I have no tolerance for people leaving trash behind.

I get spot lighted fairly frequently also, but it was just that one time that the deputy made me leave. I appreciate them patrolling the areas and helping to keep us all safe by enforcing the laws.

5. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    I agree with swmo guy and keep a copy of the code with you. We have a place in Robertsville that is a state park and it closes every night. If you go out on the Merimac you are there for the night as they close/lock the gates. There ares several parks that you can fish in 24/7 and have the closed signs up. Some county officers see the closed signs and do not know they are not meant for people there fishing. My brother and I were fishing one night and about 1am an officer pulled in with his lights on like he was going to a robbery in progress..scared the b-jesus out of us. Took about 10 minutes to convience this guy we could fish there but we too had a copy of the rules with us.

6. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    If there's a sign at the conservation area that says it's closed during a certain time, that means it's closed, no matter what the code book might say in general about conservation areas.

You can try to argue all you want, but the guy with the badge will win, even if he's wrong.

7. melstangman1967

melstangman1967 New Member

State:
    missouri
    yes i have stayed late i like to find fishing spots where they cant see my car so they leave me alone

8. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    I will have to agree with Marty, If you dig dip enough or call the Dept. on the area your wanting to fish you can find out the hours for that area. What I read on hours in the codes, each place has an date of use and time.

9. Chris Cordia

Chris Cordia New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have to disagree. I have talk to several area MDC agent about this matter and they have all stated to me that the area is open to fishing 24 hrs. The MDC usually contacts the local police to patrol the areas for the protection of trucks that are left there during late night fishing trips and to run off anybody that shouldn't be there. The officer was probably wrong .

10. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Some of them have signs that state closed at whatever time. They also state unless actively fishing.

11. catfishchris

catfishchris Active Member

State:
    missouri
    The regulations for most conservation access areas state "the area is closed from 10pm to 4am except for authorized activities." Fishing, boat launching, and some times camping, are considered authorized activities.

However, some areas owned by local or county governments, and some conservation areas with small lakes, do not allow all night use. Those areas usually have a different regulation sign other than the 10-4 closure.

Some of the local officers don't know of all of the different closure regulations, and arguing with them probably won't help. They mean well and are just trying to keep the area safe.

12. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I used to bank-fish at Weston Bend SP quite a bit and was always kind of bummed that they closed the gates at dark. They were nice about it and the ranger would honk the horn and give you a half hour or so to get back to your car before they locked the gates. I asked him about boating in and fishing after dark (a dumb question, but ya never know) and his answer was that they only controlled access by land, not by water:wink:

13. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Exactly,an one on one argument with a LEO at 1 a.m.can have several outcomes,none of them good:0a37:

14. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Get to know your local agents. Sometimes a little friendship can go a long ways.

15. swmo guy

swmo guy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I think I may have been misunderstood. I did not intend to give the implication that I wold argue with a LEO. I am a peace officer myself and I certainly understand that they are just trying to do their jobs and keep the areas safe. I do have a copy of the code with me and if they ask me to move along I see no reason that we can not NICELY ask them to look at the code and explain to them that it is our understanding and interpretation of the code that you are allowed to fish there anytime. I have called the local Conservation Office and they did in fact confirm that public fishing areas may be used for fishing 24/7 and that the signs pertain to general park use (not fishing).

16. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I don't think you were misunderstood, Gary. I think the thread just sort of evolved. No harm intended.

17. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    They usually take the time to explain the code to you. Sometimes it may not be by your choice. LOL