Night Fishing Protection - Defending Yourself?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by shortbus, Jan 11, 2006.

1. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    I was just wondering if all/any of you have some type of personal protection while fishing at night? I do alot of my fishing at night by myself and get a little spooked sometimes. I used to have a handgun liscense but let it expire so I can't carry anymore till it's renewed. What all works for personal protection,,mace, pepper spray, big stick???? I hate fishing by myself and try to avoid it but I know there have been some crazy things happen around rivers, lakes. Last summer I was fishing under a bridge on a small river and about 2.00am a guy on a harley puls down the lane under the bridge and parks. He just sits there for a while and finally starts to take off. he tried going up a big hill and dumped the bike over on it's side in a mud hole. I didn't try to help him cause I knew he was drunk and prolly mad. Things like this kinda freak me out. Anyone else have any stories like this? How do you protect yourself?

2. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    many different ways to protect yourself.

Mag light, check out the nice big 4 D cell battery lights that police officers now carry, very sturdy.
    Pepper Spray/mace
    Cell Phone
    Tazer
    Hand Gun
    flares/strobes

Personally, your wits and intelligence is the most important thing to take with you.

3. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Well I usualy carry a 7 inch fillet knife on my side, and a tackle box can come in pretty handy, not to mention a big cat pole. I do have a pretty big pry bar that I have had heated up and bent into a gaf with a sharp point.Flashlights would be a good one, and with all the stuff I carry I would have an array of things to choose from, from rod holders to dip basket. I have not realy had any problems other than a couple of drunk youngins walking around, was kinda hoping they would fall in but they got bored quickly and left.

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i myself am a pretty good size guy so im not too worried about young punks. i seldom fish alone and the guys i do go with are pretty much "roughnecks"so we are a little intimidating lol. there have been some times though that i've reached in my bag and put my filet knife in my back pocket until things were clear. i would advise anyone who fishes alone or if your up in age to carry a couple knives, some mace, and maybe even a handgun. as far as i know the constitution allows you to carry a loaded gun ANYWHERE as long as it out in the open, like on a holster. states cannot infringe on that.

5. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    So far I have held off on "carrying" but I get closer to it every time out. Not that I have had anything go bad but many of my friends who all "Carry" now have told me of stories that if happened to me, would have me getting my concealed carry permit. Im pretty sure the wife would be on board but the biggest thing I do is fish with others and try to always watch my surroundings and avoid any late night confrontations with anyone.

Personally Im more worried about where I leave my car then my personal safety ( Usually)

With that said, what is everyones prefered pistol of choice? Is there a famous gun called the Catter's special or what?

Salmonid

6. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Dinkbuster as far as I know the only state you can openly carry a gun with no permit is Texas, here in TN you would be arrested.

7. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Like Salmonid, I am choosy about where I leave my vehicle parked. Too many break-ins these days, although I try not to leave anything of great value inside.
    I do carry a concealed weapon, either on my person or near at hand, when I'm alone. I don't carry it when I am with friends, unless I tell them so...as a courtesy to them, but I never leave it in my vehicle unattended.
    I have been fortunate in that I've only had one instance where I felt I may have to use a weapon, but as soon as it became clear that I had a weapon, the situation quickly corrected itself.

8. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    hmm, i'll have to check into that. i was told otherwise by a gun store, maybe it was a loaded gun they were refering to. i plan on gettin my concealed permit this winter, i have a 357 but its a little big to be carrying around. might get a snubnose to carry. i am more concerned about my vehicle also and ive learned the hard way to not leave anything of value and leave it UNLOCKED! a window doesnt mean jack to a thief! niether does alarms! put a kill switch on your ride too...

9. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I carry a 40 cal. Springfield Armory XD40 handgun. I have a CCW lic. and carry my handgun everytime I go out night fishing. Some say they don't care and some think I'm crazy. But it's best to have it and not need it and need it and not have it!!

10. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I dont carry fire arms! I do rely on my wits and surroundings! I just can't picture myself in a fire fight at the "OK fishin hole!"! I do have a cell phone and one of those taser thingy's (yet to be tested)! Carring guns is so popular, most people probably assume I have one! All my dads (dad is 86)elderly friends are strapped though! They were when I was kid and they are now!

11. retailredneck

retailredneck New Member

State:
    Richmond Va
    well I just moved to richmond va ,The people here who fish some spots have told me being new to the area and being alone fishing at night I should carry protection,some have been robbed at the city spot where I fish.I have had some situations where a gun would have made me feel better than just my fist being more than one person causing me to feel like a bad choice to fish alone.I am almost 6ft tall and weigh almost 300lbs most people dont mess with me but you always have a few who will try you in a given situation,I carry my knife on my side and now due to warnings I carry my shotgun in my truck,I fish about 30 yards from my truck .if need be I figure I can make it that far.I guess its better to find someone to fish with rather than fishin wondering what is going to happen while enjoying myself alone .what I ask is the world comming to when you can fish alone without the worry of someone doing you harm?????

12. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    It's sad to say but honestly I can think of atleast six different times last summer where I would have felt ALOT better if I would have had my handgun with me. I'm a small guy 165lbs so anyone that is out for trouble and see's me thinks it's gonna be simple I guess. I don't know how but last summer I had a BIG dog standing in front of me showing teeth. Thought I was gonna get mauled!!! I have no clue how I got outta that one.

13. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana

Jim where was this at?!?! never even heard the news about someone getting killed. Smith&Wesson are good fellas to have around.

14. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    i know what some of you guys mean about not feeling safe. my favorite spot to fish is a big sand bar on the ohio river. its a great place to camp and you can catch fish there like you would not believe but at times i dont feel safe. alot of punks come out there on their 4 wheelers , drunk , jacked up on meth and party til daylight. its not patroled at all. a couple years ago i had to get onto some kids at about 2:00 in the morning. they were still riding around on their 4 wheelers and raising hell and i was trying to sleep. i politely told them to please calm it down or i wouuld be forced to call the police( and would have to but i couldnt get a signal out!) well they calmed down and i went back to sleep. the next morning i went to get my truck, a 2 wheel drive toyota pu, it was parked about 400 yards away. when i got to where it was parked it was not there anymore! to make a long story short , these punks stole my truck, stole the stereo and all my cds and took it four wheeling and blew it up! they didnt catch them but i am sure it was those kids i got onto. it all worked out in the end though. insurance paid it off and i used the money for a down payment on a jeep cherokee. now i can drive out there and sleep in my vehicle if need be! im kinda glad i dont carry a gun though, cause if i was to ever run into those boys again i might do something i would live to regret.

15. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I fish in a boat soooo they have to swim to get me. The sad thing is that this world is getting so crazy that a person has to worry about getting rolled while fishing.
    Bill:(

16. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It is LEGAL to carry a gun un plain sight. Now if a tiny flap of your jacket goes over the firearm & conceals it in any way, your illegal. Now here is where it gets tricky..... if someone sees it on you & they think it is causing a panic on your part, their part or the part of others then you will be asked to remove it, there is a very good chance it will be confenscated and you will have to claim it back from the local authorities.

I have a CCW & I carry a different variety of firearms. I would say my Favorite to carry is a Colt Officers Model .45. I also usualy carry a 5 shot North American Arms .22 lr in my tackle bag. The revovler is 3 inches long.

17. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    Being a retired state trooper I have a national ccw lic. I carry a .40 caliber Glock. I'm hoping to never have to use it! But my motto is - if only one side is going to be alive to tell what happened it is going to be me!! Be safe everyone.

18. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Bill
    I fish from a boat as well but last time I checked bullets don't mind flying across the water!!!!!

I've heard tales of fishermen hearing gunshots out fishing the river around here but never heard of anyone being shot. Some of the area I fish is around downtown Kansas City, in some not so great nieghborhoods. I've considered putting a gun on the boat but havn't done it yet. I've seen some odd stuff on the river but nothing that worried Me too much. so I guess the jury is still out on this to pack or not to pack issue.

in some of the areas I fish there are some homeless camps under bridges and such, last year they some homeless folk killed each other so I suppose the risk is there.

one wierd thing that I saw last year was a couple of naked guys sitting on the river bank, thought they were fishermen at first but as I got closer I realized they were naked.......Hmmmmmmm......then We thought they were just a couple of homeless guys bathing in the river. but it was awfully chilly that morning and they sure we not in any hurry to get dressed. i'm pretty convinced now that there was some homeless alternitive lifestyle stuff going on. just glad they were not in the act when we came by, I don't need to see that kind of stuff when i'm out fishing (or any other time for that matter)

19. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana

Now thats a bit odd. Brad you best not fish under no bridges lol!!

20. Catbird

Catbird New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, Ohio
    CCW and a 38 S&W airweight. Mostly for getting back to the truck at night along the Ohio River.