Night fishing on lake moultrie

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by snooker_hooker, Aug 19, 2006.

1. snooker_hooker

snooker_hooker New Member

State:
    sc
    how do you all catch the cats at night. i have to spend time with the family. i want to go at night. it would be cooler also. what to use and do you all still drift. i have no clue what to do. thinking about going sunday night or monday. let me know if anybody wants to meet up. thanks
    nick

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Nick, if you can't take your family with you, just fish the same places as you would during the day. I've been catching pretty good in around 35' of water, but most are small fish 2-7 lbs. I know folks who are fishing those same areas or the adjacent shallower flats and catching larger fish, at night.
    Just keep in mind that if we get a thunderstorm, the lake can get pretty rough, and stay that way for several hours, which may affect what areas you can fish. The diversion canal is a good option, too.
    Have you had a chance to fish since you returned home?

3. snooker_hooker

State:
    sc
    i have not been. i want to go soon

4. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Nick, what part of the lake are you closest to, or use the most?

5. snooker_hooker

State:
    sc
    i like to put in at boneou (how ever) beach. then go out tward the humps or by the damb. i was going to use herring and live bait.

6. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    You oughta be good to go,then. I've been doing most of mine along the channel markers, drifting the contours. Transitions from flats to humps have worked pretty good, too. Most have been caught in 25-35' of water, but I haven't fished at night.
    Haven't really fished down toward the dam lately. The area near short stay is always good, though, and I wouldn't overlook the shallow water around there at night.
    Let us know how things go....

7. snooker_hooker

State:
    sc
    i will let you all know how it goes. what is the gold coins for? i just saw them.

8. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I'm not too sure about the gold coins deal. There is some stuff posted around about 'em, but I haven't read it.

9. Bobwheelr

Bobwheelr New Member

State:
    NC
    Night fishing is great on the santee cooper lakes and rivers, weather plays a major role in night fishing on lower lake, and the uper lake can be a experience of a lifetime, if you no the lake and keep your eyes open, i run markers to the old brick yard and switch to trolling motor and move into lake untill i hit river bed, then up or down river bed, some of the best fishing on lakes are in this area and if water gets rough you are only 300 yards to a safe area behind old brick yard. also in that area is a 6ac pasture with no trees that is great bluecat water but is hard to fing at night without gps. The cooper river just north of goose creek is where i fish for the BIG ONE, I use the large brime and work the tide chart, my biggest blue so far on river is 64 lbs. and have cought many in the 40 50 lb range, my wife has me beat by 14.6 lbs her big blue is 78.6 lbs.

Good luck

10. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    We always put in at Bonneau also.We fish out near Short Stay this time of year.We will work the dam when it gets colder.

11. Shrimp Man

Shrimp Man New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Hello Gentleman,
    I'm new to this site. I had found BOC through the search engine, I read lot's of your forums and enjoyed it, so I thought I'd give it a try, I live in Charleston and whenever possible I fish for Big Cats in the Santee lakes, Mostly Moultie, My last outing was last Monday, I have a friend that is a guide on the lakes he told me to look in about 30 feet of water, I marked a lot of fish around shortstay, However the wind was so strong I could't keep a hook in place, so I moved over near the Dam in the same depth, I did'nt mark as many fish and only ended up with one 20 pound blue.
    I'll continue reading the updates and try to learn from ya'll, And maybe work will slow down enough for me to return soon.

12. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Glad to have you on board Shrimp Man.

13. Allen42

Allen42 New Member

State:
    South Carolina /Lake Murray
    Welcome abord Shrimp man .

Good Luck Nick !!

14. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Welcome, Eddie. Most of my fish lately are coming from 30-50' of water on average, especially near depth changes (humps, etc). Don't know what boat you have, but anything over 10mph winds can be pretty bouncy for a lot of boats, depending on wind direction.

15. jcsappjr

jcsappjr New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Welcome Eddie glad to have you aboard.

16. Shrimp Man

Shrimp Man New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thank You Gentleman for the welcomes, I find BOC to be very additive, And it tends to give me Cat fever.:0a23:
    Thanks Again,
    E ddie