Night Fishing in California

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by keenphis, Aug 3, 2007.

1. keenphis

keenphis New Member

State:
    SantaPaula, Callifornia
    I got a question about night fishing in California. I am originally from Texas but I have been out here for about six years now, I am in the military. Before I discovered B.O.C. I had always thought that night fishing was illegal in California freshwaters but I have noticed some of you talking about it. If it is not to much trouble could ya'll assit me in were the legal areas would be or were I could go to find them on the internet. Once again thanks in advance and happy fishing.

2. drews0311

drews0311 New Member

State:
    iowa
    i am not exactly familiar with where you live. but down here by camp pendleton just about every lake you can fish at night. some of them close at 11pm and some close at like 2AM. my advise would be to find a lake near you and just search for their website. oh welcome to the boc as well

3. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Cody, this should help you out. Go to the fishing hours section find your area and the body of water you wish to fish.
    It's a good idea to read the entire booklet because fishing in Ca. is far more restrictive than in Texas and the regs change from area to area.
    http://www.dfg.ca.gov/regulations/07-08-inland-fish-regs.pdf
    I hope this keeps you out of trouble.

4. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    when i was stationed in pendelton i cought some really nice cats on lake dixon a night. usually not very many ppl at night there either.

5. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Joe, here's the link to DFGs regulations page it contains links to the ocean and freshwater reg booklets.
    http://www.fgc.ca.gov/html/fishregs.html
    I have this in my favorites button because even though I have been fishing in Ca. all my life (well more than 50 years) I still need to check on things often.
    The ocean rock fish regulations are constantly changing some times several times a year including inseason changes so don't trust what you think you know.

6. drews0311

drews0311 New Member

State:
    iowa
    thanks tom

i usually only fish irvine and SARL. both of those places kick you out when its time to go. i will check out your link though

7. drews0311

drews0311 New Member

State:
    iowa
    bait chucker

did you have any luck out at dixon?

8. loanguybri

loanguybri New Member

State:
    California
    Hi Cody, Welcome to the BOC! I come from Oregon and I too was shocked at all the rules and regs in California. I primarily fish San Diego area lakes and from what I have found, most city lakes close at sunset. Very few lakes offer nighttime fishing except in the summertime for catfish, and then only on friday or saturday's only and each lake has different hours. Big B

9. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    It would be a shame if you don't get a chance to fish offshore this year for tuna. The San Diego fleet is in high gear right now and reservations are hard to get but can be had. Tuna are just 25-50 miles out from Point Loma or Mission Bay, an easy run for the overnight boats. It's expensive to go and there are no guarantees that you will get a tuna but once you've caught a longfin you'll never forget it.

10. keenphis

keenphis New Member

State:
    SantaPaula, Callifornia
    Hey guys thanks for the help. Tom I apreciate the link. As regards to tuna fishing, my buddy and I went out sport fishing a year ago and we caught a few yellow fin. It was a blast. Thanks again guys.

11. tigger_tat_55

tigger_tat_55 New Member

State:
    cali
    tom,

your right, bout no guarantees, went out last week on a 1 1/2 day boat, must have brought the skunk with me. turned out to be an expensive boat ride.. oh well, they call it fishing not catching.

hope all is well with the brothers.

12. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Yep, I've had my share of trips like that.
    I've learned that 3-5 day trips are the best bet for almost guaranteed tuna catches. It costs more per trip but it's worth it if you want to get the best shot a tuna.
    I've been on many 3 day trips that I brought back 30 tuna of good size along with Yellowtail and Dorado. I've only been skunked once on a multi day trip.

13. drews0311

drews0311 New Member

State:
    iowa
    tom

i would love to go out and try to catch some tuna, but i have never been and dont really even know if i would like the ocean. i am kinda scared of pirates and sharks.

14. kastmaster

kastmaster New Member

State:
    California
    its a place called castaic, the lower lake is open 24 our and good trout and striper fishing

15. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Tyler, Castaic is just about 30 minutes from where I live. I've fished the main lake a number of times for good striper action. I also like to fish stripers at Pyramid. Haven't fished the Lagoon at Castaic yet but I intend to.

16. whiskers77

whiskers77 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    When I feel the need to do some evening fishing I usually hit up Santa Ana River Lakes or Corona Lake. Both of these lakes are private lakes and offer evening fishing from 5pm-11pm every night of the week. They also offer 24 hour passes on Friday and Saturday nights. Both of these lakes are small (in fact they should be called ponds), and they are expensive to fish ($20 gate fee), but because they are private lakes they are heavily stocked, no fishing license required, and they keep the weirdos out.

It works out for me with my crazy work schedule I can fish on a Tuesday evening and not have to wory about looking over my shoulder the entire time. It's very relaxing and nice to be out fishing during the twilight hours.

here is the link to the lakes
    www.fishinglakes.com

17. kastmaster

kastmaster New Member

State:
    California
    yah same here about good 30- 45 minute drive. Yah thats where i caught this striper at. good fight to i was just putting my pole into the rod hold and jerked the bait a little by accident then boom, oh snap i think i got snaggged then the pole started to pull and then i hooked it. pretty good