Night fishing from the bank

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by stinkbaitguy, Sep 29, 2007.

1. stinkbaitguy

stinkbaitguy New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Anybody up for some night fishing from the bank?

2. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    I am. See you about 6:00 lol.:006:

3. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Any of you guys do any good this weekend? I lost two very big fish. One broke me at the knot. The other one I hooked and started fighting, well I thought he was a solid #10 so I was gonna land him myself. It was only my 9yr old daughter out there with me and it was 4am so I wasn't gonna wake her up. BAD idea. He shot to the right so I wasn't to concerned about my other line out to my left. Suddenly he must have realize he had a hook in him and shot left....I've never felt a fish like this in my life. He took my 30lb PowerPro and just started emptying my spool like it was nothing. All I could do is yell to my daughter with no luck. 3/4 of my spool was gone so I ran backwards and shook her yelling, lol. She sat up sill asleep and suddenly the drag stopped......fish gone : ( Poor child doesn't even remember me waking her up. He hung up in my other line causing himself to somehow unhook. I reeled in my line and the other came in with it. Both baits were gone so I say he caught the left line causing the left line to snag. Then somehow got the hook out from there. Its hard to say If I could have landed him but I had the option to walk the bank and wear him out and land him by hand. If he went straight out he was a gonna take my line, no question. I compare it to standing at the highway and just hooking a car as it goes by...a awesome first feeling. I set my drag on a scale to #25 but I'm gonna up my line after this. The #50 has a 12 diameter so my mid size spinning reel can still handle it (I hope). I'm thinking about using the high vis yellow since its night fishing anyway. All I know is I will be back Weds night for sure. Oh I was using Carolina rig guessing in 12' of water. Used whole 4'bream but filleted and pinned back on 4/0 circle hooks. All I know is I'm on a mission now and I know the spot good. Its the same exact place I landed the #20 few weeks back. Sorry this is so long but its just not as fun telling my wife. She just laughed and asked me when I was going back : )

4. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Man, it's soooo frustrating to lose a good fish like that :angry: You'll get'er the next time!!! (Where were you fishin'?)

5. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    On the 12 mile River. In Central.

6. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    I dont think theres anybody on here that hadnt had that happen.It makes you want to go back even more.Theres alot of good fish in that area but dont reveal excactly where.:wink:

7. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    jimmyjonny...great story...almost felt like i was there...man if that don't get you back to the lake nothin will:big_smile:

8. Chalk

Chalk New Member

State:
    Union, South Carolina
    Losing a fish like that is a sick feeling but you gotta go back and try your luck again.