Night fishing at silverwood

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by godsglad8tor, Sep 8, 2007.

1. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    well my dumb butt went to hesperia lake last sunday around 1030 and to my surprise there was no twillight fishing:confused2:, but silverwood was up the street a ways, ive never fished there and thought i would give it a try, the dam was full of people and talked to this one guy about other spots, he was fishing since 5pm near the dam and didnt get one nibble, so he said he would take me on the dirt road to the otherside of the lake, warning word of advice, take as little as stuff as you can, very steep trails, caught a 2 strippers around 8-12 inches, i got one goooooood hit, it might have been a cat but i went to grab my pole to set the hook and then he was gone:confused2:, but it was still a cool night, caught the strypers on nightcrawlers dipped in orig hogwild

2. Jedi007

Jedi007 New Member

State:
    Chino Hills, California
    I ended up there about a week and a half ago on my way back from an appointment in Apple Valley. I got there at about 6:00 pm. Spoke to the guy at the booth in the front. He said the water level was down quite a bit. I told him that would make it easier for me, right? (wrong)

Asked him where and what to fish. Was told to go to Cleghorn Canyon lot 6. Said the Stripers would start biting off the shoereline around 7:00 pm. I asked what type of bait and he said anchovies. Nope, didn't have those. Bait shop had just closed. I had some hotdogs, corn, stink baits, and various lures.

Got to lot 6, unpacked my gear. I headed down to the water and was filled with the most god-awful stink. My eyes started to water. I figured it was just because I was so happy to be fishing. (wrong again) Since the water was down, there was about 10 feet of algae uncovered walking up to the lake.

I got over it, baited the line, and threw it in. Nothing. Tried a few more casts. Nothing. About 6:45 PM the sun went down over the mountain ridge. THEN the wind started kicking up. (It helped a little with the smell, but it started to get flipping cold) About 7:05 PM the water about 25 feet from shore started to bubble in various spots and you could see the splashing in various circles. I tried to cast into them not knowing what they were at the time. No Luck for Mr. No Anchovies.

With the wind blowing towards me SUDDENLY from accross the lake, I was unable to get any true distance from the shoreline. If I had a little more time (WINK) I would have went around to the other side. But we all know how that story goes. Fish when you can from where you can. I left at around 7:45 PM because I had a long way home through the dark canyon.

Later I read in one of the fshing guides that the water splashing was most likely the stripers hitting the shads. Unfortunately, not enough time, nor enough luck.

When I got back in the car it smelled like I soiled myself. The lake algae was stuck to my shoes and it stunk the whole way home. Nothing like a little bleach to kill the smell.

I would go back if I had a little more time, and little more bait variety...and possibly a boat...and a coat...

3. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    WOW!!!!! hate to hear this report. many years ago i fished this lake all the time. had to drive 100 miles one way to fish one day. great days. big bass, stripers, and cats. to hear it's that far down is heartbreaking. :too_sad:
    gary

4. Jedi007

Jedi007 New Member

State:
    Chino Hills, California
    Not such a sad story, other than the way I told it. (A bad day fishing is a learning experience for me...NEVER try that crap again...) It was very exciting to see the shads boiling to the surface. When that started to happen it definitely got my attention. I didn't know exactly what it was at the time, but it piqued my interest to say the least. My heart started racing and my mind was working trying to figure out a way to get A BAIT (right or wrong) into the middle of it. No luck. Not for a lack of trying.

There was a group of four other people fishing the same part of the lake I was in towards the far right of me in the shallows. They were wearing chest waders and they had pulled a couple nice sized stripers and a catfish, not sure how large.

At the bottom of the lake you have Cleghorn Cove to the West and Miller's Canyon to the East. In the middle almost dead center of the channel that goes into the upper protion of the lake there is a boat ramp right off of lot 6. I was just to the left and right of that ramp.

My problem was a only couple of hours at my disposal and an itch to fish a lake I have never been to, with no idea what kind of what fish were in it, or what to catch them with.

However, seeing those shad coming up and breaking the surface has really gotten my curiousity going about this lake. From the guides it appears as though the main place to fish this lake is inaccessable by land. (up by the aqueduct water intake / dam area. The guide says to fish off of the buoys where the water breaks.

However, the shads boiling to the surface o my trip make me think there may be some action in that canyon just before sundown that I was in with the right bait and a little more time...

With a little more time and little more luck, the rght bait

5. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    I fished The Wood many times before the Draw-down to upgrade the out take a couple of years ago And it has always been tough without a boat.
    Cleghorn produces well at times, better when they start the trout plants. Use any good trout imitation lure.
    When busting on shad the best thing to have in your box is a selection of Kastmasters in different sizes, to match to the size of the shad.
    I've caught many nice stripers from the lake but never in large numbers.
    Soaking bait works well for cat there but the bite is usually slow. Try flylining anchovies from the side of the dam closest to the spill, or just around the corner from the dam the other way.

6. Jedi007

Jedi007 New Member

State:
    Chino Hills, California
    After rereading the post prior to mine it appears as though you can actually fish the dam area from shore? Like I said I was short on time and it was getting sark fast. Wish I would have know about the Kast Masters, I did have a couple of those in my arsenal, didn't even cross my mind...

Thanks!

7. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    what i ment when i remarked "WOW!!!!! hate to hear this report." was the water being so low and the algie so bad. understand about short time and how difficult that lake is at times to fish.
    forgotten how many times the lake personnal had to chase me off the water cause i was so relaxed enjoying the scenery and catching.
    gary

8. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Het Gary, I hope to be down your way in about 2 weeks. I need to hook up with Eric From YBM to get that Kayak so I'll be there soon. Hope to see you then.

9. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    hopefully get to see you again this trip Tom
    gary