Night fishin' in the rain

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by santee_catman, Apr 17, 2008.

1. I was wondering what you guys thought about shallow night fishing w/ rain.
    I'm probably gonna go back out again early sun a.m. and the forecast may include rain. I wouldn't think it would effect the deep water bite much
    but, not sure about shallow. I know the weather front itself(barametric
    pressure,etc) can effect but, last thing i want to do is be out at 3:eek:o am
    w/ it raining and not catching fish. what do you guys think?

2. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    I'm no expert but, as long as there is no lightning I love fishing in the rain. It always seems to get them stirred up. Let us know how you do!

3. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    as long as the cold front is not to cold it should be great in the summer i love fishing in the rain it seems to wake the cats up

4. nasty nate

nasty nate New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Last june, my bro in law and I went down to santee, and when we got there it was raining and the wind was blowing really hard. We decided to wait it out. We finally got out on the water at 11 P.M. We headed out to the rock wall at the top of the canal, and started catching them right away. I can't remember how many we caught, but it was a lot. They ranged from 5 to 35 pounds. But I honestly believe that the rain get's them stired up, and turns them on, at least in the warm weather.

5. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hey I have fished in the rain many nights it shouldnt affect your fishing one thing that I have noticed fishing when it rains is it seems like the fish bite better in the rain, I guess it stirms them up and they move around more.

6. IndianCoach

IndianCoach New Member

State:
    S.C.
    When I grew up on Murray we always caught tons of bass and flatfish after a big storm. My dad said the barometer would be on the rise. I personally think the upper water column is big time oxygenated from all the splashing of the drops that it makes them active. Kinda like waking up from a good night's sleep makes me want to play early. Any commotion on the top is a good thing IMHO.

7. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    It's good fishing because when the water is draining into the lake it's bringing in food like nightcrawlers to the shallow areas as well as forcing other critters out of their holes as the water rises. I don't think you can go wrong doing this.

8. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I BELIVE I WOULD FISH WERE YOU MIGHT HAVE RUN OFF:big_smile:

9. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Water runoff brings in new food and the rain increases the level of oxygen. The key factors to make the cats wake up and go on a feeding frenzy. Good luck. Stick to the fresh water coming in to the main water area.

10. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    a couple weeks ago we fished in a downpour at night, and the fishing was great. the fish were shallow and deep, everywhere it seemed. the only time i have had the weather negatively affect my fishing is after the water rises and turns to rapids.

11. Junior42

Junior42 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, KY
    You should probly be slayin them.

12. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    one of the best pond fishing experiences i had was right after a pretty heavy t-storm. after we ran to the truck and made it to safety from the wind lightning i went back alone. we hadnt been there 10 min whrn the storm hit. alone i went back at 2am and with garlic chicken livers caught 13 2ish lb channels within an hour.:cool2:

13. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    I love fishing in the rain and I have good luck doing it.

14. bream reaper

bream reaper Member

State:
    Indiana
    I go in the rain since I never catch any cats when I don't go fishing so I go when I can go. I feel confident in the rain that they will bite, but if they don't I think they might turn on when it quits. Ahh the mind games we have with ourselves...