Night Crawlers for bluegill

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by JMarrs328, May 15, 2006.

1. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    I went out last night and found a couple dozen crawlers. What is the best way to keep them alive? If I keep them alive will they reproduce? How BIG can they GET!!!

2. John H

John H New Member

State:
    KANSAS
    You need to keep them """COOL"""". Bottom of the the refrigarator. I found that loose soil with wood mulch and old damp leaves in dark place works pretty good. I toss in a few coffee grounds and some corn meal. I don't know if they would reproduce or not, never had them that long... wore them out fishing...
    hope this helps
    john h

3. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    hAY jOHN TAKE A LOD IN THE BOC LIBRARY THE ARE SEVERAL GOD THREADS ON NIGHT CRAWLERS

see you on the fish bank some time

4. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    The heading for your thread says "Night Crawlers for bluegill", I have alot better luck with Red Worms or Wax Worms for catching Bluegill. :smile2:

5. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I'm Gonna Try That FatKat. I Always Thought That People Just Used The Red Worms Because they Were Cheaper & You Didn't Have To Keep Them Cool,Like The Crawlers.

Next Trip To The Bait Store & I'm Gonna Pick Some Up,Thanks.
    Elliot

6. mazdabob

mazdabob New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, IA (Omaha)
    I'll have to second the red worms. I had never used them before this weekend, but I'm hooked on them now. Yesterday I took some down to the creek and caught 20 chubs, and I went out for a few hours today at the lake and caught 50 gills, 5 small smallmouths, and a 16in crappie. Did all of that on 3 dozen worms on my fly rod/ultralite reel setup.

7. AllenM

AllenM Guest

I always use portions of crawlers for pan fish like gills, crappie and perch. The red worms are at least just as good, but harder to put on a hook IMHO. I can use the crawlers whole for larger fish too so they are just more versatile.

8. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    nightcrawlers have a constant need to be kept cool even when taken fishing or else you get a gooey mess but look in the libary and you will find several posts on worm farming that has helped me out a whole lot

9. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    ivest in some of the berkley gulp maggots. the gills will tear them up. and the theivin bait robbers cant get them off of the hooks as easy. good luck

10. bubbasmouse

bubbasmouse New Member

State:
    Chesterfield South Carolina
    Once you get used to them redworms are real easy to hook. Just roll them between your fingers don't squeeze them. I can slide them on a hook all night with no light but I've been using them since I was a little boy.

11. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    Around here I've been catching Gills on redworms and run out and try pieces of nightcrawlers and don't do near as good. Redworms and Waxworms are the Bluegill bait of choice here. :smile2:

12. Duck65

Duck65 New Member

State:
    Piedmont,SC
    I've had good luck with a 1/32oz jig tipped with a red or blue tube.

13. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    If your crawlers die and turn into the gooey stinky mess, put them in a piece of pantyhose and toss it out. Man there will be a cat there in nothing flat to gobble it up, hard part is not barfing while you do it.

14. smith06

smith06 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    they make earthworm farms. Check ur wal-mart or k-mart. Its reall easy to do. just be sure not to use too much water cause it will drown your crawlers.

15. CFH

CFH New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I use a one inch piece of nightcrawlers for them. Usually anything bigger and the gill will steal it. I aslo have had good luck with wigglers.

16. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

agreed brother the maggots are tops for crumb snatchers.

17. Nermal

Nermal New Member

Nitecrawlers work good for em here in AZ, but mealworms are better(cheaper too)

18. Shanadoia

Shanadoia New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Bluegils are easy to catch but everyone knows that they love redworms. How do all you people keep redworms alive for more than a week???

19. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Bluegill have small mouths so small baits work best. Wax worms and meals worms are good choices along with redworms. Nightcrawlers have to be kept cool and in the frig. As far as raising them - forget it. It takes approx 6 years for a nightcrawler to reach bait size (size that is sold). Tube jigs (1/32 oz) work great also. Catch most of mine on them. FoodSource and Gulp Bait have a maggot size bait that works also. Good luck on your gill fishing. There good eatin!

20. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    just like John said it brother. Keep em cool in the fridge with good soil. I have some that have been in the bottom of my fridge for close to a month now (my wife found out and had a hissy:roll_eyes: ). Something else I recently found is that if I give em a good douse in chicken liver blood, the gills cant leave em alone!