Night Crawler Technique?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by rich-online, Jan 3, 2007.

1. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    How do you put a night crawler on a hook, and what size and type of hook do you use for that? I've heard that this should be a good bait, but so far, all I've done is drown the things.

-- Rich

2. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I thread it on and then run it thru once to help defend against then inevitable bait stealing bluegill. I use a size 8 hook. Im not picky on my hooks.

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Load the hook up and don't be stingy. I kinda thread them on and keep pushin em up makein sure ya got plenty of hook point exposed. Hook point exposure is the key regardless of the hook size ya are usein. Hook size is generally determined by what ya are goin after. Hope this helps.

4. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I rarely use nightcrawlers, but when I do I use a 7/0 hook and load on two or three crawlers at a time.

5. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    Catch some bluegills and use them for cutbait. youll catch some fish on that!

6. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    I'm still having trouble catching bluegills. They don't bite my worms, and when I use jigs, they go airborne when I try to set the hook.

-- Rich

7. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    I use anywhere from a size 1 to about a size 4/0 circle when using worms... sometimes smaller when i'm not going for cats and just going for bait too...

for the smaller hooks i use one worm and thread it on several times... doesn't keep bluegills from stealing it but it does keep them from getting it so fast... although if the gil is large enough it'll just take the whole hook (largest hook i've had them consistantly take is an Eagle Claw 2/0 circle...)...

I'll fish them naked... no weights at all on my ultra lights or with a little bit of weight on some of my other rods... catches cats so i'm happy w/ them...