Night at hoover

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by truckin4x4, Jul 20, 2006.

1. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio
    my wife and i went out to hoover and we did know good. man i think that if you don't have a boat theres no luck in this heat. well appinions very huh. well let me know how you guys are doing

2. BGRUMBLES

BGRUMBLES New Member

State:
    ohio
    Hey truckin...my name is Ben and I fish Hoover regularly. The cats have been real slow off the bank. Some nights they are really tearing up chicken liver. Last night i was out for a long time off oxbow road. I caught about 20 bluegills for bait but never landed a cat.....got two monster hits but I am really struggling with circle hooks. I found a guy there last night with a boat and he was using small shad hooked whole that he cast nets for. I bought a cast net today.....so shad galore. When that guy brought his boat in last night I kid you not he had caught 25 nice cats....and said he lost one giant at the boat. He also said the only reason he stopped fishin was due to bein tired hahahaha. Anyway the guy I fished with lande 7 cats on night crawlers and one carp. I was using shrimp and crawlers. PM me sometime and we will fish it up out there.

3. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio
    hey ben that sounds good. i would love to get togeather some night. tea and i went to buckeye lake last week and didn't get a bit in 4 hours. were thinking of going out some were this week some time. what's your schedule like. whats good for you. i'm off from work right know becouse of back surgery. so my time any time just about. well pm me and will figure something out.
    rob

4. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    For the fella having trouble with the circle hooks. Hang in there. Once you get the hang of it you will find it hard to go to anything else. Have you ever missed a strike with a J hook? Of course, and a circle hook is not a bear trap, electro shock, or spear. If you set it up properly, and trust it, you will consistently catch more fish. I use from the bank, steel rod holders and set my rods at approx a 45 degree angle . This allows the rod to do it's job, and gives you a little slack. I also keep the reel engaged, yes tight line, yes tight line, yes tight line. I have gone through the progression of helping the fish by loose lining or using the clicker.

With the reel engaged back off the drag so that a hard burst will strip line but only with a big bow in the rod. They will hook themselves. Trust and obey.

Good luck guys, maybe later this summer we can all get together at Buckeye or Hoover. Ooops, not Hoover, it's a 10 hp limit right?

5. Mathersm

Mathersm New Member

State:
    Darbydale, Ohio
    Yes it is a ten hp limit, but thats whats great about it. Its easier to fish when u dont have water skiers everywhere. Me and my bro trolled there last saturday and caught 1 about 8 lbs. This hot weather has really slowed the bight from what it was last year.

6. BGRUMBLES

BGRUMBLES New Member

State:
    ohio
    Go out at night, drift slowly with bottom rigged shad hooked whole. You will catch at least 10 to 15. go when the moon isn't fool...superstition or not the guy that told me that takes me out time to time and just last night I helped him filet and skin almost 30 cats from 6 hours of night fishing. He runs a pub/grille and supplies his catfish from there so I take his word for it....amazing fisherman.

7. cashcobra

cashcobra New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have had much success over the years at Buckeye Lake. I usually like to go around Leib's Island. Good luck.