Nifty little tool..

Discussion in 'LOCAL VIRGINIA TALK' started by Powhatan, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Powhatan

Powhatan New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I just bought my first gill net serveral weeks ago...getting bait is no longer a problem.. there was one thing with the gill net that was annoying..when you got a big shad in the net, sometimes it was difficult to pull him through..

I made a little tool out of a paint can opener.. they give them away at Lowes when you buy some paint.. I just bent the end of it over in a vise and but s stout rubber band on to hang on my wrist when removing a big cutter. I works great..just slide the tip of the tool between the net and the fish and pull the net over the fish..

Hope this helps some people out.

Attached Files:

2. jholl949

jholl949 New Member

State:
    Mannford. Oklah
    Pretty nifty tool, Chris. I'd have one if I were to use a gill net. Only use a cast net here though. Thanks for the input.

3. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    This old dog just learned a new trick. Thank you!!!!!!!:wink:

4. bigwhiskers

bigwhiskers New Member

State:
    Elon, North Ca
    Good idea Chris.
    Bigwhiskers

5. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Hey chris you just told me about this yesterday at DB and i already made one thanks man i know its gunna work great. Gunna save my fingers alot of pain lol.

6. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    HANDIE LOOKIN GADGET

7. Johny Buck

Johny Buck New Member

State:
    virginia
    You don't mind if I patent that do ya?????????:big_smile: Thanks for the pic.

8. cobysdad06

cobysdad06 New Member

State:
    Sutherlin VA.
    Thanks man, being I just purchased my first gill net.

9. cdf1961

cdf1961 New Member

State:
    va
    be able to see pictures soon

10. Powhatan

Powhatan New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I forgot to mention..the big advantage is that you can open your beer with it too!:smile2::eek:oooh:

11. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    You can forget about that patent.There were very old ones around salt water,bought and hand made being used way back when I was a kid.Most with wood handles as the old commercial gill netters used them for many hours at a time.I used them in the 50's & 60's.Look up "Gill net Supplies on line.Look for "Net Picker".They are still being sold and used.

You can run it in from the back and fold the gill plates down to back a gilled fish out or hook it through both eyes to pull some fish on through.A little practice,you get it down and it is fast.

Thanks for showing everyone how to make them cheaply.They are handy.Can you imagine using one for 12-20 hours at a stretch as fast as you could go when they really loaded up one of those deep long nets with thousands & thousands of fish?They had to get the good ones out and iced down to keep from spoiling in warm weather and can you imagine it in freezing weather?Also billions of trash fish were gilled and had to be removed to throw away.These were some of the worst of the good old days in my book.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

12. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    that's quite the innovative idea!!:0a24:

13. muzkrat

muzkrat New Member

State:
    va.
    good idea i bought a gill pick when i ordered my gill net. already heard about how hard it can get on pulling them cutters out.

14. 60lbclub

60lbclub New Member

State:
    virginia
    gotta get one.....those gizzards will tear sme hands up especially on a cold day

15. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    You can buy a regular fish pick from The Fish Net Co.

Easy to grip plastic handle. Price: $3.45 Each

Fish Pick

16. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I bought 2 of those with mine, but Skip saw Randy use his hands and refused to use the pick... You should have heard him whine about sore hands after 3 days lol!

That's a neat free idea for when I lose my 2.... oops, gill nets are illegal in Ohio....

17. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Chris thanks for sharing a great idea/tool. I don't use gill nets just cast nets. It might come in handy for something else though. Appreciated.

18. blacksheep

blacksheep New Member

State:
    NC
    Great idea and I will add this to my inventory in my boat.....