Nicotine withdrawl

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by flathunter, Aug 6, 2009.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have been dipping smokless tobacco for 35 years

5 days ago I decided to quit...I never imagined the withdrawls would be so bad...

I thought I had the flu, extreme nausea, dizzy, headache.

Also I was cranky as heck.

On day 5 today I was so sick I could hardly get out of bed, and I said enough..

I put a dip in, and within 90 seconds all the symptoms were gone..

I dont think I will try quitting again, I have had people tell me it is worse than quitting smoking.

2. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    LoL i do both smoke cigs and Dip. Sometimes the cigs just dont cut it and i find myself chain smoking.

3. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    I hear ya man. Been smoking since my 16th b-day, quit many times :smile2:. Chewed for a while, but never really got into it and went back to cigs. It's funny how thru my years how I've been thru the alcohol, dip, and even Bill Clinton special and never looked back at any of those but the dam smokes just won't leave me alone. Even tried that nicorette once; that stuff was the worst stuff I ever tried:eek:oooh:. Bad thing is I have gone a few weeks at a time without and felt so much better and healthier, but like you said, it's very hard.:embarassed::angry:

4. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    I KNOW WHAT YOU mean i chewed till i was 23, then i picked up SMOKING,:angry: my kids ride me hard about it , i can see why they do, but man to lay them smokes down is a m. f.

5. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    I KNOW WHAT YOU mean i chewed till i was 23, then i picked up SMOKING,:angry: my kids ride me hard about it , i can see why they do, but man to lay them smokes down is a m. f. ops sorry

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  6. Magnus777

Magnus777 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I feel for you brother! People who've never had a nicotine habit don't understand what it's like...they just can't relate to how hard it is to quit. I picked up the smoking habit in the Marines to deal with the stress. I quickly worked up to a two pack a day habit, and smoked for seven years. One day I took a good, hard look at myself, and saw what the cigarettes were doing to me...I saw the time it was taking away from my life, and the money it was taking out of my pocket...and I said ENOUGH! Quit cold turkey!
    Of course it wasn't as easy as that....c'mon! :roll_eyes: I think I stayed away from the smokes for a couple months...then I went out drinking one night, and decided to buy "just one pack" for old times. Next thing I know, I'm smoking again. A year down the road, and I'm in the same rut as before, so I quite AGAIN! Went through all the physical withdrawls, the mood swings, the binge eating a second time, as if once wasn't enough! This time I went a couple years without a smoke....but demon alcohol whispers temptations in my ear, and he's so easy to believe...
    I didn't smoke very long at all that last time...and it was the LAST time! Maybe two packs. I got so disgusted with myself...got so sick and tired of being sick and tired! So I called a meeting....Me, Myself, and I. We sat down together and hashed it out! For one, that crap is poison! Says so right on the label! And here I had been ignoring the signs...ignoring a hacking cough, friends and family getting mouth cancer, emphysema, having their jaw rot out from the inside....I told myself it couldn't happen to me. Not to ME! Then I looked at how much it was costing me. A pack a day...two packs a day. And after I quit the first time, I always bought by the pack....told myself it would be easier to lay it down if I didn't have half a carton left to smoke. Yea...RIGHT! Man, I can just think how much good I could have done with all that money I burned up, and sucked down my lungs! What a waist! So I picked myself up, and gave myself a good shaking...slapped myself around a little....and said NO MORE!
    Was that the end of my smoking habit? YES! Absolutely! Was it the last time I smoked? No. See, after my last go around I was just honest with myself...no more lies. Cigarettes are just little, rolled up, cancer sticks that come in a conveinent package...they're a legal drug sold over-the-counter by a filthy rich Pusher Man that makes his living off my disease. I'm stronger than he is...I'm stronger than that smoke...and I ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY will NOT let it rule my life! There's just too much left to do, and too much left to see in this old world...to many fat cats swimmin in a river somewhere waiting for me to catch'em! So every once in a long while I'll burn one...to remind myself why I put it down. I light up, and suck that crap inside....and it makes me SICK! It's horrible! Nasty! FOUL! It's crazey anyone could ever pick up the habit in the first place. I stamp that butt, and give myself a pat on the back because I'm still stronger...I RULE IT...IT DOESN'T RULE ME! Then I bait up, cast out, and wait for another hungry kitty to come prowling. :big_smile:
    I know, some people may think my story is ridiculous. But that's just me...a little ridiculous, and kinda goofy. My point is, there are people out here that understand what you're going through. We've been where you're at, and we're pulling for you! Some people can drop the habit, and never look back. Some other people, cold turkey doesn't work until after the second or third helping. And then there's a whole lot of people that have to fight every day to stay clean. But you do what you have to do...you FIGHT! Your life is worth it! Good luck!

7. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    Well said, Jeremy! Those who don't know, don't undersand. I have several people like that at work, and if they wanna get me fired up, just say "Don't you know those are going to kill you?" Of course I do, everyone knows tobacco isn't healthy, I'm not stupid because I smoke, it's my problem to deal with. At the very least I can say I'm a considerate smoker; I stay away from people and if an area is designated as such, that's where I'll be. I don't light up in public places like parks and such, not even in my own house. I don't smoke when my kids are around, and still don't smoke in front of my parents. My wife has no intention of quitting anytime soon, so that doesn't help much either. Thing I never got about that was each time she got preggy, she dropped it instantly. And each time after labor, first day outta hospital, light one right back up. Oh I must be tired cause I'm ramblin again.......

8. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    been doin the snuff thing myself for 40 years now , tried to quit many many times , i pretty much gave up on quiting but if there ever comes a sure fire way to stop the crap i'm sure i'll try again

9. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    I started smoking when I was 16 I stopped this past april in a couple weeks I will be 33 and I will tell you its the greatest thing I have ever done i fell better more energy food taste better was it easy hell no I thought I was going to die but it gits easier every day but sometimes I could smoke one big as a bus

10. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Jack I quit smoking cold turkey 4 months ago and really it hasnt been that bad. I tried before using welbutrin but that has some side effects that were bad. I smoked a bit over 20 years or so and at my highest I was at about a pack 1/2 a day. Now my main goal is to be healthier but mainly I quit because I dont want to give more of my tax dollars to the gubment after they put that extra .62 cents I decided to quit.

I really dont want one all of the time but there are times where I do. When you are ready to quit you will and no matter what its up to you wanting to. Im hoping that I can keep up with not smoking now I just have to quit eating LOL I have gained about 10lbs so its off to cutting down that area now LOL.

11. stangcrazy85

stangcrazy85 New Member

State:
    PerryTucky
    man if quitting smoking would make food taste better than im doomed i rember a post about being a bit to heavy LOL Cope is hard one to kick thats why i still havent

12. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Jack,
    I have never smoked or chewed so I won't pretend to understand. Also, I won't preach or judge but I have to think if you got to day 5 you must have been so close to beating it.
    There must be a reason why you wanted to quit. That reason must still be valid. I'm sure you could do it...W

13. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Man I feel your pain. I finally quit dipping after 12 years a few months back. I was really moody and I replaced the dip with gum. I had a trick that helped me. If i did not have a can of dip in my pocket at all times, i would crave it so bad and i would go find some and throw one in. But if I had it in my pocket , it cut the cravings down. I was stressed out yesterday and tried to dip and the taste of it almost made me sick.

14. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I know that the first time I quit for an extended time i.e. over a couple of months I was ready but not ready if that makes sense. If you need a reason to quit we all have them and they are easy to find besides the money part of it which was mine. If they (the gubment) made tobacco illegal it wouldnt be too soon if you ask me.

15. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I agree Jack, its a b!#ch!!! I used Chantix to quit smoking close to 2 months ago and still would like to have a cigarette. The chantix helped out on the withdrawals a lot but it still took a lot to quit.
    Good Luck if you decide to try again, your body will love you for it! I know mine has!:wink:

16. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    I've smoked for too many years to even count at this point. I'd love to quit and have tried a few times and it's ROUGH. But i'm determined to stop soon before it kills me. I know i'd feel a hell of alot better if i did. Good luck to all still struggling with this nasty addiction.

17. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    after trying to quit, I dont consider it an addiction anymore....I now consdier it a godsend...I felt so bad physically trying to quit that I never want to try again.

18. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ive been dippin since I was 14. No end in sight.

19. Chris Giff

Chris Giff New Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Ohio
    I started smoke'n when I was about 18, 32 now, quit about 7 months ago and I still have cravings. I'll still wake up some mornings and pop a cig in my mouth out of habit but I don't light it. Made me sicker than hell to quit had all the symptoms you described..they went away after about 3 weeks.

Bad part is I went from 170 to 225 lbs.

20. bodach

bodach New Member

State:
    KS Emporia
    I have quit some very nasty stuff and been fortunate enough to been off of it for over 5 years but smokes well just cant seem to do it. My wife and I tried in January and we almost got divorced and thats no joke so we now just dont smoke in the house that cut down on the amount we smoke. wish you the best of luck if you try again.