nickajack

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by catfish1083, Aug 5, 2009.

1. catfish1083

catfish1083 New Member

State:
    georgia
    never been there but was just wanting a quick run down and any tips yall would be willing to share with a boc brother. thank yall very much

2. gruffy911

gruffy911 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Since nobody else has chimed in I'll tell ya what I know Catfish. Now it's been at least 10 yrs. since I've been down there. Where are you planing on launching your boat at? There is a good ramp just off I-24 where the bridge passes over the lake. Theres also a ramp in the area called Sullivans Landing, small store there ect. Don't try to launch there unless you have a 4-wheel drive, it's steep. I tried to pull a 18' 150hp bass boat out with a 4-cyclinder ford ranger. The current almost got me, I had to get a man with a large 4-wheel drive to hook to my truck and help me get out. Between Chattanooga and I-24 where the river comes betwen two Mts. I saw two men in a small boat take a catfish off a trot line that took both of them to ( roll it ) into the boat. Theres also a nice ramp and park area just off Hwy 153 on Amnicola Hwy. in Chattanooga. This is where I would go. You can drift from the railroad bridge just below Chickamauga damn down to the boat launch area and then motor back to the bridge and drift again. Alot of people jug fish here and do pretty good, also they fish from the bank down a little ways from the damn and under the bridges downtown.. You can if you want drift all the way to downtown Chattanooga and stop off at Ross's Landing, walk up to the Aquarium Center and tour it( it's nice ) and see some big catfish if you don't catch any. Earlier this yr. a small girl caught a 30#plus catfish right there downtown Chattanooga next to the aquarium. It's a nice place to visit with alot of good resturants downtown and alot of things to do, the aquarium, rock city, lookout mt.ect. Come for the whole wkend or more and bring your family.P.S. don't tell your wife about all the shopping at the malls.:wink:

3. gruffy911

gruffy911 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Catfish I guess I need to make myself more clear about how long it's been since I've been down there. It has been 10yr. + since I've been down to the I-24, Sullivans Landing area. It has not been that long since I've been to the area just below Chickamauga damn area. If you like lake fishing go to the I-24 area and fish but stay away from the large cave you see off to the left. It's protected by the feds. If you like river fishing then go to the park just off Amnicola below Chickamauga damn. I use to go there at least once a mo. and drift fish for small and large mouth bass all the way to Ross's Landing.Theres only one place just below the boat launch area thats shallow enough to worry about and it's easy to see and avoid the rivers wide. I wouldn't advise anyone thats never been there before to go up river past the R.R. bridge. There's rocks as big a cars and cables ect. that will tear your motor up if you go wrong. They're also working on the lock there at the damn and construction crews and equipment around the damn. If you catch any fish around Ross's Landing or the downtown bridges, don't let the bank fisherman see you throw them back in whether its a catfish, smallmouth, largemouth, or drum or they'ell be yelling at you to ("let them have that fish"), ha ha. It's a nice trip through, I've been planning to go down for a mo. now and have just not got around to it yet. I love the area through.

4. catfish1083

catfish1083 New Member

State:
    georgia
    thank you dave. that helps alot. i dont know how soon it will be before i get to go because i am waiting to get a new boat i dont think mine could handle that river. as of now i only have a 14' jon boat with a 9.9 on it but come the first of the year i should be able to get a new boat for that big water:big_smile: