Nickajack dam

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by petedawg, Jul 1, 2006.

1. petedawg

petedawg New Member

Hows the catfishing above and below the dam in the september and october time frame ? I usually fish for stripers right below the dam and largemouth above the dam when im home on leave and was just wanting to try the cats this time.

2. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Hey Pete, welcome to the family. In the Fall and Winter the catfishing is good below the dam, we have used whole bream and skipjack and done good. If you need more info shoot me a PM.

3. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Last Nov, I was able to boat a 35 lber below the damn drifting cut skipjack. 3 weeks ago Myself and a friend boated a 15 and 20 lb respectivly and several in the 6 to 7 lb range also on cut skipjack.

4. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Buck, you mean you was up here and didn't call us? I am just crushed.hehehe

5. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    Welcome to the BOC. And I usually have my best luck at the dam in the spring and summer right after a heavy rain when the rivers really up. Fish right up against it usually, right in the boils and you can catch some monsters. But, sometimes they're off somewhere behind it, maybe 30 or 40 yards. Just my experience. Good luck.

-Red

6. petedawg

petedawg New Member

it seems the cats are still active when i get in...now i`ve gotta sit down and plan how to coon hunt,deer hunt and catfish while i`m in...sounds like fun and i really appreciate the help guys

7. petedawg

petedawg New Member

i saw somewhere that they were closing shellmound ? did it ever happen?

8. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Pete, as far as we know they haven't yet but it is just a matter of time. We were told that they were moving the campground closer to the dam. I think the boat ramp there at Shellmound will still be usable by the public. We love Shellmound, it is one of our favorite campgrounds. Judy and I camped there last fall with Shilohred (Pete and Marilyn Kildow). Bam, Lonnie, Mark Marcum, and Mike Johnson came down for a little fishing while we were there.

Have you checked out Hale's Bar Marina and campgrounds? They have really fixed that place up nice but it is also costly to camp there now. We still prefer Shellmound for camping.

We have marked a ton of big fish there at Hale's Bar but have never caught any there.

9. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Jim I hope they make them fix the new camp grounds before closing the old one. And we can camp this fall there. And even next spring. LOL Now that would be cool.
    Pete

10. petedawg

petedawg New Member

as i live about 15 mins up on sand mountain,but i have fished the area more days then i can count.Me and the old man used to hit the water down there about 250+ days a year when i was in middle school and high school.In 95 i went coonhunting with a buddy of mine and got the old man back into it and i dont think me and him have fished together maybe 3 times since then.Though i love coon hunting and deer hunting,fishing will always be my favorite sport,Later Amicos.:big_smile:

11. petedawg

petedawg New Member

How deep is the water up that way ? I know fish stated seeing some big blips on the sonar up that way and i might try it out,Thanks.

12. petedawg

petedawg New Member

hope everyone had a good 4th and stayed safe out that way