Nickajack/Chattanooga area?

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by Biker RN, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Biker RN

Biker RN New Member

State:
    southern middle TN
    Hi all,
    I live on the other side of the "mountain" in Franklin county. I hear of nice blues and channels being caught around Chatanooga, but haven't had the chance to fish there yet. I am not very familiar with that area at all, only been to Chatanooga a couple times. Where would be a good place to try? Where are launch ramps located? I have a 17' fishing boat but if bank fishing is decent would really rather not lug it over the platue. Chatanooga is around 1 1/2 hour drive from my place.
    I fish Tims Ford alot here. Don't catch many big cats but lots of eating size channels with a few smaller blues and flats now and then.

Thanks,
    Biker RN

2. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    There are some places at nickajack to fish from the bank, but the better fishing would be from a boat below the dam. I have never been to the damn at chickamauga.

3. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Hey Richard, we are glad to see you here. Like Bam said, at the dam is a good place to catch some big cats if they are generating. Be sure to try inside the old lock also. We were told by Jerry Trew that it was dangerous to fish below Chickamauga dam because of a lot of rocks just below the surface there at the dam.

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Well, dangerous to your prop, if you aren't really careful. It's just that you can be way out in the middle in water only a couple of feet deep. It's been so long since I've been there that I can't really tell you the route you need to take to get up next to the turbine outlets, but I set my outboard on the shallow water drive setup, took it very slow, watched my depthfinder, and made it ok without any serious banging. Now, all the time I was growing up, I watched boats run plumb out of sight back up inside the generator outlets. I don't know if that's still possible, but I never had the cojones to do that, even though that's where the big fish were caught. All in all, I'd pick Nickajack Dam, the old Hales Bar Dam site, or on up in the canyon, especially around the generator outlet there.

5. rsimms

rsimms New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Biker RN:
    Either Nickajack or Chickamauga are good choices. I fish both regularly. Chickamauga really isn't hazardous. There is one large rockpile which is typically visible. If they are cranking all four generators, rockpile is barely covered, but usually you'll see a great blue heron sitting on it anyway, and the eddy is quite visible. From that normally-visible rockpile there is a rock wall that extends perfectly downstream to just beneath the railroad bridge... at the end is great place to catch a smallmouth or two. Except for the area immediately beneath the railroad bridge, the rockwall is easy to cross over if there is normal generation. I'll slow down just for peace-of-mind, but I've never hit it. If you pass upstream of the visible rockpile, between it and the face of the dam, it is deep water all the way. No worries. That's a great place to be when fish are hanging beneath the boils or in the turbines holes, but there are also some super catfish holes well downstream nowhere near the dam. Don't get me wrong... I like Nickajack and it is much closer to you. But don't rule out Chickamauga. We hammer some hefty cats there.

Attached Files:

6. Biker RN

Biker RN New Member

State:
    southern middle TN
    Thanks for all the info. I'll be over that way soon.
    Richard... AKA Biker RN

7. snakecharmer

snakecharmer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    maybe i'll see you around Nickajack.