Nice to get out but................

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by whisker maniac, Jul 12, 2008.

1. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Yesterday I was trying to get everything together for the fishing trip that my wife and I had planned. I had to put new line on here bait pole and had to retie some guides on her heavier rod. I already had all the guides cut off of her rod and only had one tied back on and was letting it dry before I attempted to tie on the next one. About two thirty in the afternoon she came home. She had already gotten in her hours for the week and was off for the weekend.

She came in and started barking orders. Get the tent out , get the air mattress out....... I was looking at her all kinds of perplexed when I found out she had called down to the Rv park at Crossett Harbour and had decided we could just go down there and camp and fish that night plus the next day.

When I started explaining to her all the reasons we couldn't and that I just wasn't ready to go yet because of the reels and rods I had to repair and restring she got all disappointed and in a bad mood and this lasted until today. So then we both were in a bad mood this morning to start off with.

I finished getting everything ready and packed it into the car this morning and away we went. Almost halfway to our destination I remembered I forgot to pack the "Bait". The bait that I have never tried before and was looking forward to seeing if it would work or not. The bait that I took the time and care to mix up, although it wasn't hard but still...., I couldn't believe that after going thru all the motions of mixing it up and preping it and letting it marinate overnite that I ran off and forgot it.

Well, we already had stopped and got some worms so we could catch small bream and put on the cat poles also just in case the cats wouldn't bite "The Bait", so, we went on to our destination caught some bream and put those on the cat rods and fished.

Where we chose to fish we had never fished for cats there before but I don't think I recommend it at least during the day. We were going to go to Crossett Harbour but on arriving found out that they would not let you fish from the bank there. So we drove back across the river bridge and drove down to the Maris Saline access and fished off the bank straight into the river. At the Maris Saline area there is alot of boat traffic during the day and they will wash your bait around if your not using a real heavy sinker.

With the smaller rods we kept getting hung up and breaking off but with my two big rods and heavy weights all went okay.

We were there for over an hour and I was trying to catch some more bream as one of my rods was empty when I checked it.

All of a sudden the jingle bells on my other rod rang out. I looked down at it to make sure that I hadn't bumped it or anything since I was right next to it. Well sure enough it went off again but the clicker had not gone off.
    So in my evaluation of the jingle bells that my wife had bought me as one of my birthday presents last wk I will have to say they work pretty good. They will let ya know when your getting a nibble or smaller bite when the clicker won't.

I picked up my rod and waited for the fish to finish taking the bait and running with it so I could let him load up the rod, since I was using circle hooks. He never did........

I finally reeled back in and found he had gotten my bait...

Well by this time it was starting to get pretty hot and my wife and I had planned on going somewhere else this morning also so we finally packed it in and went about our business and then came on home. We got to talking about it and decided we will go back out this evening and go to the old river bed below Thatcher lock and dam no8 and this time we will remember to take "The Bait".

2. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    kevin it seems that nearly every trip no matter how well planned you can count on forgetting something------but to forget the bait is unforgivable

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Good luck on your fishing trip

4. whisker maniac

State:
    arkansas

Well we had other bait was just wanting to try out this new recipe on the hot dogs.

They are still in the freezer:smile2:

5. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    kev i cant beleive you forgot the soap.

6. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Kev, i share your pain. I packed for 3 days getting ready to go to the gathering at Truman this spring. I had junk piled up like the beverly hill billys. We pull in and threw up camp and me and my buddie was headin to the river. I ask Cher (wife) wheres my old shoes, didn't want to ruin my good ones throwing a net. OOOOOPs, the one thing i left settin on the bed was all of our cloths.:confused2: Well after a lil verbal abuse, we had a great weekend. I noticed the second day folks kinda shyin back a lil' bit.:smile2::smile2::smile2:

7. whisker maniac

State:
    arkansas
    Dang John I think that is even worse than forgetting the bait:eek:oooh::smile2::wink:

8. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I have forgotten to take my Tackle box once, I also went hunting once and forgot to take my gun, That is another story but it happened!!!:smile2:

9. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    I forget something each and every time I go out. Tonight, I forgot the live bait bucket and the boat spare tire. glad I didnt get a flat. It was already late getting there so we didnt catch any gills, so the bait bucket wouldnt have gotten used.