Nice size channel catfish...but a problem..

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Rollinunknown, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Rollinunknown

Rollinunknown New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri
    Ok so i took my father out for some fishing here in Missouri and i caught a (scaled no guess tament..)24lb channel it was great fight and when i got him to the bank he had little red dots all over him like Chicken Pox.... i let him go ASAP! i was kinda worried about handling him but i had to remove the 8/0 hook from his mouth.

Anyone came across this problem yet ?

2. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Reps for letting it go. 24# is a monster deserved to swim again:wink:

3. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    There is a thread about the exact same thing on here somewhere. When I read it , gamacatsu stated the spots were due to an infection called entermic septicemia. Find him or google this , and you should find what you seek!

4. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    So if the fish is infected, wouldnt letting it go be bad. Wouldnt this fish infect more fish? was thinking about that when i read it in the other thread.

5. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Very nice size channel cat congrats! Those spot are a disease sometimes the cats do get. Posted a few back is the answer you are seeking.

6. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
  7. gamaCatsu

gamaCatsu New Member

State:
    NC
    its a natural illness in the fish from what i have been told by a biologist that came out an tested a fish i called about, the infection has to run its course. all though i wasnt informed on eating a fish with this. i deff wouldnt try my luck, best thing is to release them and let mother nature do her thing. great catch, keep at it!

8. twisted

twisted New Member

ive seen it on some fish ive caught but not nothing like those pics in that pdf file. we call em fish herpes. never kept one with it.

9. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    As every other BOC member has stated.. the catfish is infected and in this case a factor off the top of my head would be leeches on them feeding.. just a first guess..

10. Rollinunknown

Rollinunknown New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri
    Wow .. i knew he was .. yuck! but o well ill see him again some day i guess... thankx for all your guys post and tips.

11. sharphooks

sharphooks New Member

State:
    nebraska
    I have caught channels with bumps all over its body, but they were not red and appeard to be directly under the skin. Wondering if this is the same or something different.

12. cavereric

cavereric New Member

State:
    Austin,Texas
    shad pox ???????????:wink:

13. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Rob i don't blame you for putting him back which that size is nice to let go to fight another day ,but with the red whelps on him there is no way i would want to keep him to eat