Nice size cats, small local pond

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by gportsbaseball, Sep 3, 2008.

1. gportsbaseball

gportsbaseball New Member

State:
    ohio - Groveport
    idk if any of you from ohio know where obetz is, but there is this small park inside of obetz called obetz memorial park, and there is this tiny pond that is regularly stocked with blues and flatheads(and of course baitfish) by the mayor of obetz. Now the best part is, no1 knows it is being stocked about every month or so. So here's this local pond with 20-30 LBS blues and a bout ten 50 LBS flatheads, and noone even knows about it. haha. the fish are so active in this pond, every time i go i get about 10 pretty nice blues and a couple of 3-7 pound channels. i havnt caught the 50 lbs flattie yet, im hoping you guys could give me some advice on how to rig my line, what hook to use, do i bobber fish it?(its about a 15-25 foot deep pond) what bait for flatheads? im willing to try many different things, because i generally have about 3-4 poles in the water at once.

im only 16 and dont know all of the rigs yet, so if u could explain the setup thatd b great! thanks. happy catfishin

2. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Try fishing with live bait. Blue gill or goldfish. And don't be afraid to use large ones. A 50# Flathead could inhale a 4# largemouth easily.

3. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    hey welcome to the boc

4. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Big hooks and big large bait should do the trick. Try shallower water first.,,,Good luck!

5. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Well the cats out of the bag now! :smile2::smile2:, Welcome to the BOC. Nothing like the small ponds with the myths of the 50# pound flatties, a couple of things I would try. It being as hot as it has been, chances are the water temp in that lake isnt far behind, I would begin in the deeper holes of the pond during the day. Now at night Flatheads tend to cruise the shallows in search of baitfish, Its been a while since I fished a pond, but try flipping a nice size bluegill under a slipfloat up next to the bank at night, if flatheads are in there in those numbers chances are ol mr bluegill will not survive long. You can also try to "troll" the banks. I used to do this alot when I fished ponds. Take you some cut bait, wether it be shad, bluegill head, or any thing, find a nice stretch of bankline at night and give a good cast. Now slowly troll your slip float back to you, staying generally 3 to 4 feet off the bank, and rigged 1 to 2 foot deep, I like to give mine a little pop every once in a while to attract some attention. When they hit they hit hard using the troll method so be ready. And if there are blues in there in good numbers you will catch them using that method also, you can even troll right down the center of the pond for blues. Hope this helps bud good luck, make sure you post evidence of the big one...:wink:

6. 72hdflh

72hdflh New Member

State:
    West Salem, Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC, all of the above sounds like a good place to start. You better be carefull with more than 2 rods out though.

7. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC an good luck catching them big ones!

8. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Is this a State or city controlled Park? Are you required to have an Ohio fishing license to fish in it. If you answered yes ... to the last question ... you are only allowed to use no more than two rods and reels .... might want to check on the regs for the lake to make sure .... 16 you need an Ohio fishing license .... and if the state has a hand in stocking it and the Game Wardens check it .... you could be in for a bad time if you are caught with 3 or 4 rods in use. ....... Garry-

9. gportsbaseball

State:
    ohio - Groveport
    i have a fishing licence, and this is not a state park, my parents are good friends with the mayor, there arent many restrictions in this pond except that you cant use stainless steel hooks? thats just about it. heck, the mayors son comes and fishes it with 3 poles :p

10. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Okay Justin ... that is cool ... just didn't want to see a young fellow get in a jam .... Welcome to BOC ....... Garry-

11. gportsbaseball

State:
    ohio - Groveport
    thanks for the concern !
    yea that would ruin my night, haha.
    ill hopefully check in by the end of this weekend with a nice flathead picture

12. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Good Luck and post pics when you get them!

13. gportsbaseball

State:
    ohio - Groveport
    alrite, im back with the report.

Friday i fished this pond for about 3 hours before i was flushed out by POURING rain. ha not a successful night.

I fished all day saturday using live bluegill and chubs. i had 3 poles in the water, each set about 8 feet deep with slide bobbers.(quick question: does your line have to be tight on big slip bobbers to allow them to sink when a fish hits? or can you just leave it loose after giving it a few setting jerks with your pole?)

but anyways i only caught one fish for an entire day of fishing, and it wasnt even a flathead. it was about a 8 pound blue,check the picture below.

it was very disappointing...i need to find some close lakes that i could maybe catfish. anybody know any with big cats? (im in central ohio) columbus.

Attached Files:

14. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    Doesn't the scioto run right near Grovesport? Go down to the river and scout ya out a nice lil bank spot or two. It's more fun being a river-rat anyway......I wouldn't give up on that pond either just yet.....keep trying it, throw a bottom rig in there too. Is there a well defined dam on this pond? figure out which side of the pond is dammed up and fish off that end during the winter with some cut bait. After a few nights fishing that dam during cold water you should have a good idea of what's in there(as far as big blues or channel cats...probably won't get into much flats in the winter)....hope this helps..

15. gportsbaseball

State:
    ohio - Groveport
    yep the scioto runs about 15 minutes away from my house lol.
    i have tried it, but not really full out catfishing( i havnt been there in years.)
    do you have any tips for fishing rivers? obviously i wont be using the slip bobbers anymore.

16. BassMassey

State:
    Oconee
    yeah get down to that river......look for nice bends in the river.....there's usually a hole on an outside bend, sandbars can be a good spot too....catch you a few bluegill put them in a bucket and get down to that river. now fishing off the bank don't try to cast straight out across the current, you will get hung up 9 out of 10 times. Cast your rigs out, but down river to keep your hangups to a minimum. I'm not real familiar with the scioto but you probably need atleast 2 ounces of weight..........in my opinion right now and the next couple months is the best time of the year to fish for cats....go get em....

now you certainly can fish a slipfloat in the river....i would bring one slipfloat rig atleast......it's just gonna be constant maintance as it floats down river just keep an eye on it......

17. gportsbaseball

State:
    ohio - Groveport
    so if i slip float a river, i can just throw t out and let it drift and leave it when it gets to the desired distance? or do i need to reel it in every time?

18. BassMassey

State:
    Oconee
    well you're gonna find out that it will drift down with the current just fine, but being on the bank it's gonna eventually come back against the bank.....but yeah, i would cast up river a lil bit.....let it drift down then do it again......but it just all depends on what kind of spot you find to fish.....you might find a big bar with a big slack water on the bottom end with a creek coming in or something like that......where you could just throw it out there and forget about it.......just got to get out there and try it.....you'll figure it out

19. gportsbaseball

State:
    ohio - Groveport
    thanks alot, you really know your stuff!

20. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Pond in Groveport? Hmmmmmm, lol. Sounds like Tea needs to wet some lines.

Scioto has alot of good bank spots. I live in Ashville so I'm about 20 minutes from you or so. 762 has a nice area you can bankfish the Scioto on and so does 22 in Circleville. You can fish it downtown also but I tend to try and stay away from there. I value my stuff and life too much to be there at night. :)

Good luck buddy, get some small gills and fish that pond under a Kat Bobber, sit back and enjoy!!