Nice night last night

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by Quackshutr, Jul 26, 2008.

1. Quackshutr

Quackshutr New Member

State:
    Oklahoma, Collinsville
    Son and I took a duck hunting buddy out on his first jug lining trip last night on Oolagah. Using a variety of bait,,,,, packaged shad from walmart (dont buy it), goldfish, perch and beef liver. We ended up catching 5 blues, 2 channels and 1 flathead. 2 biggest blues were about 12 lbs, nice catch for the night! Buddy was tickled that we caught fish on his first trip. It was a good time.

Q

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like a great trip, congrats

3. target33

target33 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    A friend and I are going out tonight and trying some for the first time. Any suggestions on how deep(under the jug and depth of water). We are going to be using these tubes we saw at Bass Pro that stands up when it has a fish on, ever tried those? Thanks in advance!

4. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    Way to go! We went out yesterday during the day with a rod and reel, and came up with 3 dinks that wouldn't even get close to a pound :embarassed:. Anyhow, I'm liking the jug idea more and more! Do you use a weight to keep them from going everywhere?

5. gottagetabigun

gottagetabigun New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    the best money you will spend is for a CAST NET. catch your own bait. worms and a small hook. there is perch everywhere. i don't mean to be abrasive but as high as gas prices are go to the extra effort and take the time to catch your own bait. fresh bait is worth the time. the store bought bait is for the novice, small catching, fishing three times a year fellow. imho. anyway don't sound like your trip was too bad.

6. Quackshutr

Quackshutr New Member

State:
    Oklahoma, Collinsville
    We set most of the jugs in about 18-23 ft of water. I made up my own jugs over the past cpl of years using "swimming noodles" that kids play with in the pool. I buy the ones with holes in the middle and run a piece of pvc pipe thru them and a 90 on both ends. Wrap the excess line around the foam. Use a 2-6 oz sinker and put up to 5 hooks on them. CIRCLE hooks, I love em.
    I have a cast net and prefer to use live shad when I can find them, had a tough time finding any last weekend. My son and I spent about 2 hrs friday afternoon catching small perch from our neighbors pond along with buying some goldfish (prefer black perch).
    The store bought shad and the liver was basically an experiement. Always trying something new, never know what might or might not work, imho.
    I saw some jugs on the water this morning that looked really good, would have liked to inspect them a bit closer but I am very paranoid about handling someone elses fishing gear while it's in the water.

Q

7. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Deano- Running someone's jugs could get you a round below the waterline. It would be better to motor up to the owner when he is running the jugs and then talk to him. You might get some friendly help and suggestions. I have had people motor up to me while I am amongst my jugs and ask questions. I told them everything I was doing so that they could catch a bunch themselves. I have caught people running my jugs and I was less than friendly. I feel that most people will answer questions as to what they are doing if the person asking is polite and friendly. We are all on the lake to have a good time and see if we can catch a bunch.

catman george

8. massa_blake

massa_blake Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Blake
    Sounds like a good night congrats

9. massa_blake

massa_blake Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Blake
    Yes you do use a weight to keep them from moving I normally tie a brick to the end but some companies do make jug line weights.

10. Quackshutr

Quackshutr New Member

State:
    Oklahoma, Collinsville
    Oh I agree George! ! Told my son that it's just not something you do even if you do have good intentions. We never did see the boat that set them out so maybe next time.
    Although looking at the jug designs on here I can see how they were probably built. Something for me to work on.

Q

11. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Deano- A friend and I use the pool noodles and have the design down to an art form. We have tinkered with building different lengths of noodles and found that if you use too short a piece then when a sizable fish hits we never find the jug again. We have settled on a 15" piece of noodle in the medium to large size. A 30" piece of 3/4" sch 40 PVC sleeved thru then capped on both ends. Inside the PVC is a 12" piece of 3/8" rebar which slips down the pipe and acts as a strike indicator. The noodle is slid to one end of the pipe and the rebar is on the other end. When the fish hits and pops the jug up the bar slides down and keeps the jug at an angle thus indicating a strike or a fish is on. It sure saves time because you know which jug needs attention.

I

12. Quackshutr

Quackshutr New Member

State:
    Oklahoma, Collinsville
    Thanks George, That's what the jugs we saw looked like. I'll be trying them out soon if I can find some noodles!

Q