Nice mess o deer

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Paraguayguy, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    We had a pretty good dog hunt on my buddy's place here in Virginia. I could only hunt in the morning as I had to leave for Argentina in the early afternoon. While the hunt was short, it was long enough for my son to shoot a couple of does and his pal to miss a few. All total the dogs ran three groups of deer by my son and his friend. I didn't carry a gun that day. I was playing the part of teacher. My buddy lets me claim that place as my spot and has been for 30 years. I have probably shot 60 deer from that stand. Its one heck of an escape route for deer being run by dogs.

My brothers hunted until 3:00 PM. Total for the day was 25 deer. I love hunting this farm. The owner has two dog hunts each year. Always the Saturday after Thanksgiving and the first Saturday in January. The evening before the hunt, the owner's son counted 50 deer in a small field by the river. If they ever take dog hunting deer away from us in Virginia,,,,I will be one sad man. There is nothing quite like rolling deer with 00 Buckshot at 20 steps as they are running in front of a pack of beagles. I love my still hunting and stand hunting but my oh my a good dog chase is hard to beat!!

I am taking my son and his pal to a range this Saturday. I am going to let them shoot shotguns, rifles, and pistols until they are dizzy. My son's pal kept lifting his head as he was shooting which made him shoot over every deer. Saturday I hope to fix that. I am determined to see that boy get a deer during his Christmas vacation.

Attached Files:

2. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO

3. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    Good deal. You are right deer hounds power packing in your direction is
    very exciting.

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    They outlawed dawgs here and i sure miss it. I love to still hunt but enjoy a pack of dogs too.

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Congrats on a great hunt. Hunting deer with dogs,Sounds different .

6. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Congrats on the good hunt!

7. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Good looking deer! Congrats

8. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Man 25 deer off of one farm thats a lot of deer and meat. I killed my tenth deer last weekend. But it took me months to do that. Congrats

9. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hunting Deer with dogs, doesnt sound like hunting to me!:angry: I myself enjoy sitting on stand and having them walk out, its more challenging and more fun in my opinion!

10. Paraguayguy

State:
    Virginia
    Hunting Deer with dogs, doesnt sound like hunting to me! I myself enjoy sitting on stand and having them walk out, its more challenging and more fun in my opinion!

Hunting deer with dogs is a blast. You have to experience it sometime. No different than hunting any game animal with the aid of dogs. It has been going on for a 1000 years. Clipping a deer at 200 yards as it steps into a field. Shooting one running full bore at 20 steps. What's the difference. Over here we have swamps galore and after opening day, the deer go nocturanal and hide in the swamps. Rarely do we dog hunters shoot the monster bucks. They are to smart. We do shoot them during archery and muzzle loader season though.

Hunting with dogs is special to me. That list is long indeed. Rabbits, quail, bear, puma. It is so exciting to hear the dogs run. The kill is great but only a small part of hunting with dogs. You get to recognize the bark and bay of each dog in the pack. I love it. Quiet mornings on a tree stand are mighty fine, I just love to do it all.

11. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If thats how you like to hunt than thats OK...I was just stating my opinion! I will pass on shooting a deer with a dog on its tail!

12. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    I would rather roll the window down and use the mirror as an rest. :big_smile:

13. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    that's a big mess of deer, how many can you shoot there??

14. Paraguayguy

State:
    Virginia
    If you are hunting on a farm with damage deer tags, you can shoot up to four per day. Two would have to be does and those two don't count against your five deer per year on the regular deer license. Once you get your five deer on the regular license, you pony up $18 to get two doe permits as often as you like until you get tired of shooting deer. My brother and I took 33 does off my mom's place a few years ago during the varios seasons. Hunters for the Hungry love us. Archery comes in in Sept and regular nuisance deer season goes out in March. That's pretty much deer season that lasts for seven months. The Mayafter we worked over the does pretty good, I counted 40 in the field behind the Barn. Our woods have zero undergrowth up as high as a deer can stand on its hind legs. The city lets us shoot them year round ,,all you have to do is ask for the permit. To think,,,,when I was a boy we didn't have any deer in the county and today they are considered a nuisance. Flowers in your yard, vegetable garden, ha! forget it unless you put a 9 foot fence around it.

15. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    hunting deer with dogs sounds like cheating.to each their own but i'm not for it.

16. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Even though hunting deer with dogs sounds exciting, I'll pass on it! Just for the fact the dogs can be hit by the bullets and taking a shot on a running aminal is unethical in my book!!!! Injuring deer or other animals is waste. I know it happens alot and I for one have it happen to me too, but I like to take the most ethical shot possible and make it count!!

My cousin in IOWA does deer drives and they injure more deer doing this, then actually killing them. BUNCH OF BS to me. I'll pass on that too.

I'll stick to bowhunting them out of treestands and make the shot count!

Thanks!!:big_smile:

17. Paraguayguy

State:
    Virginia
    You don't have to worry about shooting dogs. The deer are always 100 yards or more in front of the dogs. We use Buckshot when deer hunting with dogs. You pick your shots like any good sportsman. I have heard of plenty of deer cripped with rifles, gut shot what ever. You only shoot at deer coming straight at you or a good side shot, never shoot at a deer going away. I personally won't shoot at a deer further than 20 yards with a bow or a shotgun. At twenty yards a load of 00 buck, 15 pellets at 33 caliber each is about a lethal non crippling load there is. I shoot a benelli SBE with a 8 shot extension. That's one hundred and twenty 33 caliber bullets heading down range in less than 4 seconds.

Heck,,,, over here in Virginia, most of our eastern counties where its flat as a pancake won't allow you to use rifles or shotguns with slugs. The farm where we do the dog hunt is in a Buckshot only county. We still manage to kill over 5000 deer a year out of that small county. When I was a boy the kill was 200 a year. Things sure have changed for the better.

18. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    well I would give it a try, sounds like a new thrill, and with that many deer around I would be stocking up myself.