Nice Little Carry Revolver...... ;)

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by H2O Mellon, Jun 26, 2006.

1. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I've wanted one since they 1st came out in '05: The Ruger Alaskan .454

I bought one of the 1st Ruger .454's severla years ago & love it. I perfer the .454 over the S&W .500. I think my .454 feels much better than the S&W .500. Now I do like the S&W .460, becasue you can use .45 Colt, .454, or .460 ammo. thought long & hard about getting one, but have decided against it. This gun here will prob be my next gun.

See pics for the recoil, I hear it's not that bad. Has anyone shot this? I have felt the snub nose .500 from S&W & I DO NOT LIKE HOW IT FEELS AST ALL. I have left this .454 Alaskan & again I perfer it over the .500. Now I dont know if S&W has a .460 Snub nose, but I would bet that one be one sweet gun if they did.

2. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ah.... did you break a nail? :big_smile: I have a pretty jolt if I shoot Hornaday 300 grain bullets from my full size Super Redhawk .454. Now on the other hand the 250 grain Winchester Silvertips or 260 grain Winchester Partian Golds are very smooth to shoot. (Those are the rounds I hunt with)

3. KWSMITH

KWSMITH New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Wow, I would be surprised if he hit the target. But it would defineatly get the job done.

4. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    If you do hit what you're shooting at you won't need a second shot at least. Those are kind of brutal but worth it I think. I've shot the 454 Raging Bull but somehow I think would kick just a little harder:lol:

5. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Does anyone else think that gun resembles a flare gun?!? Not a bad looking piece, would definitly make a big hole in something...

Aaron

TA2D

6. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    To take full advantage of the snub nose, do you use a fast burning powder? I know my 44spl snubby throws a flash out that is unreal.

7. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    MELLON that is the perfect weapon for you.With that snub nose you can draw and fire in the blink of an eye.Probably get two rounds off before the sound out there in the dark dies out.I'll bet you could empty that sucker completely before the ripples die out from that spooky splash out there in the night.With that snub nose, the flash of unburned powder will be so bright you can throw your flashlight away and put both hands on the pistol ,that way Jack won't have to fish it out of the river after you fire it.:big_smile: :lol: :roll_eyes: :smile2: :eek:oooh:

8. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    The general rule for a carry piece is the largest caliber you can shoot accurately, I also belive that easy acess and quick follow up shot are important. 1 acurate hit with a .2 is far superior to 5 misses with a .454

9. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Jim and William as a normal sane person I totally agree with you.HOWEVER we are talking about MELLON here so 6 misses with that bad boy are ok as long as you are shooting at Spooky sounds and Splashes in the night.Its really hard to kill a scary noise if you know what I mean:roll_eyes: :eek:oooh: For the rest of us ,we would consider all the velocity lost with that short barrel,blast,recoil accuracy etc but again we aren't talking about a "Normal" human in this case.:big_smile: :lol: :smile2: LOL

10. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Townville, South Carolina
    All I have to say is if ya didnt hit the thing you were aiming at you would certainly scare the you know what out of it with that pistol. Just be careful of the recoil I have seen people get really hurt by a pistol flying back and hitting themselves in the head with it. I would deffiently make sure you are shooting that thing off of a good sturdy boat hate for you to capsize your vessel from the recoil.
    Stephen

11. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    The above is why I carry my snub nosed Charter 44 spcl.If my 44 mag.Ruger Blackhawk had the same barrel lenght the balistics would be close to the Charters 44 spcl.I do love to watch those souped up shortys being fired.It is as much fun as watching the boat ramp on the 4th.of July,and a lot more noise.I catch myself looking to see if it "Blowed up"on them,as that is what it sounds like each time one is fired.Hit or miss.The flame and noise should have one heck of a "FEAR FACTOR" for the"Shootee" as well as the "Shotat". peewee-williams

12. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    DID U KNOW...

that u can make over a 200yard shot on a deer and drop it with that .460

that gun is AWESOME

so is the 500 s&w i want to shoot one!!!!!

but i would get the .460 because of more versatility and just plain better accuracy and range

but the 500 would be a blast to shoot!:big_smile:

but i have heard the stub nose big caliber guns kick like a mule

when i turn 21 i will be getting either the 500 or 460 but prob the 460,
    unless somethin better comes out before then
    but what is cool is that they have the different colors now, you can get them in that black or silver, i would go black IMO

13. da-cajun-angla

da-cajun-angla New Member

State:
    louisiana
    This Is My Gun...9mm Satin Stainless With Tritium Night Sitesa Lil Heavy, But With 15 In The Clip And 1 In The Chamber Compensates...i Had The Night Sights Installed, A Police Friend-o-mine Exolained To Me That If Your In Pitch Black, And U Cant See The Tip Of Ur Gun, It Will Always Be: Too High Up,left,right,or Down... With The Night Sights,(2 In The Back And 1 In The Front) U Know Exactly Where The Barrels Pointing. Try This; Go In The Bathroom Or Closet Or Wherever Is Pitch Black...holster Ur Gun By Ur Side, Pull And Aim At Something On The Wall Like A Picture Or Something,(it Doesnt Matter What Ur Aiming At, As Long As U Know Where Its At Before U Turn Out The Light) Then Turn On The Light And I Guarantee That Ur Barrel Is Never Exactly Where Its Supposed To Be...definately Worth Having Installed. If Someone Is In Ur House, Its Best To Sit Stationary In Pitch Black And Have The Gun Pointing At The Doorwayim Looking Into Buying The .40cal Next Year For My B-day Present.
    Shaun

Attached Files:

14. okiecop

okiecop New Member

State:
    Grove, OK
    You all can have those huge bore handguns all you want. I'll stick to my .40 auto. It does everything I need it to do. plus I can carry it as a duty weapon.

15. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    As an avid hangun hunter, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE do not shoot ANY HANDGUN at a target that far away. You will NOT hit it, even coming from a gun like the .460 which is BEYOND Blazing Fast.

16. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
  17. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    Elmer Kieth made a life and a living inventing 357 44mag and made long shots with them on Mountain goats and such
    I have sen guys at the range make 20+ shoots with almost any handgun yours, theirs didn't matter Just know your balistics and practice.

18. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    I dunno about the rest of you... but the thought of mellon having a handgun scares me no matter what size it is or how much knowledge or experience he has!!!

Just my oppinion LOL

19. catwacker

catwacker New Member

State:
    illinois
    thats probably why the guy in the pictures has his eyes closed

20. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Shaun,
    You mention night sights.

How about this "night sight" on my little Glock 26 after I installed a laser. :cool2: