Nice Flat

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by ARMYCATS, Jan 29, 2008.

1. ARMYCATS

ARMYCATS New Member

State:
    Georgia
    So i was fishing in the arkansewer right off of k15 a few years ago.... me and my dad set a few limb lines and hualed in an 84 pound flathead.... i know there in there but findin them is all about bein in the right place at the right time

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Nice. Are you talkin around Derby? There are some good spots once you get south of Wichita. Plans are in the works for cities and towns along the river to open more access. Hopefully they put in a boat ramp in around mulvane. Access is horrible, especially considering that its one of only three rivers in KS thats navigible.

3. ARMYCATS

ARMYCATS New Member

State:
    Georgia
    it was a few miles north of derby but i agree i would love a boat ramp down by mulvaine....

4. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Its good to hear that they are planning on making it more accessible. Just curious, where'd you hear that KDWP page or what... when did you hear these plans might come about? I think there is a ramp down in Ark. City... also I've seen a ramp in Wichita right behind Gander Mtn. but I'd be surprised if that was public.

5. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    They have been building new parks in and around wichita and oxford just renovated their park so I looked into it. The plans are to have an access point every 5 miles or so from Rice co. all the way to the border. Ark city does have access but I know there are a few nice spots from Mulvane to Oxford. This Spring I am floating down to Oxford from S Wichita to fish and camp on the sand bars. Those sections of the river have almost no fishing pressure, compared to Wichita. Plus its alot more peaceful.Where do you fish mostly?

6. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    For the most part I fish at KDOT east cause it is close and always seems to produce eaters. I did get a jon boat last summer and I took it out to El Dorado a several times, the Walnut river down in Wellington, and Milford lake a few times. Right now I only have a 50# trolling motor on it, but I have plans to put a motor on soon so that I can hit up the Walnut more, and if they put in some ramps closer to Wichita I'd like to try out the Arkansas river too. That would be awesome if they put in a ramp just south of Wichita... I bet you are right there is probably alot of good untouched water down that way.

7. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    84# thats nice real nice !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    That cool! What kind of jon boat did you get. Maybe we can fish sometime this year.We can get a couple of boats together and float down to Belle Plain oe Oxfordand fish. I put a jon boat on the river here in Wichita and float to derby. I just use oars for now but am looking for a new boat so that I can register it and put a motor on it.Its peaceful and I got to see parts of the river that I have never seen before, and I fished it all my life. Anways pm me sometime, Im always on the river.

9. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
  10. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    I cant wait. Jeff we need to go fishin sometime. By the way I seen your boat on an older thread. MAN you did a nice job on it. Have you fished from it much?

11. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Thanks! I worked pretty hard on it, still not quite the way I want it, but building the new house over the summer kind of took me away from it for a while. It is a pretty good boat for a $1400 ebay deal. If we ever get a few warm days, I have some new switches and wiring for it, and need to work on the motor, it ran like crap last time we had it out, something with fuel delivery.

We will definately need to hook up this summer and fish that Arkansas. I have always wanted to fish it, just never knew where to go, or how to get there.

You asked about the big ditch a while back, I fished it a few times early in the year last year, before I started on the house. Caught some nice smaller flats....between 5 and 12 lbs. The warmer it gets though, the gar get REALLY bad. I was fishing between McArthur and 47th down south.

I want to try up by the zoo, where that gate is, or whatever the heck that thing is. It seems like when they are letting water through that thing, they should really turn on, but I hardly ever see anyone fishint there. If you are ever down south and west of the City, stop by, we are in the McArthur/Ridge area, back off the road.

12. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    I hear that! My wife and I bought our house a year ago. It was a hud home so it needs some work. I need to get started on finishing out the basement as I had hoped to do it during the winter but at the same time I am putting a new floor in my dads old boat. To me the boat is more important than the house because he passed away in 06. He was the best fisherman I have ever met and I NEED to get the boat done.Its used to seeein fish all year round and it hadnt seen on for 2 years.Hopefully I get done before april. Anyways I fish all over Wichita but mainly S of Lincoln st. I have fished the Little Arkansas quite a bit and have caught 2 flatheads around 15lb and a bunch of smaller ones. Its a pretty river with suprisingly more wildlife. Last year overall I did pretty good but I was mainly tryin out new spots and scouting so this year should be more productive. Have you put your jon boat on the Arkansas or Walnut yet?

13. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Yeah, maybe we should do a little fishing on the AR river this year. I'd really like to find a good place to fish for flatheads... I've never really seriously fished for them and I'd like to. The Arkansas River seems like it would be a decent place and not too far away (especially if they put in those ramps). I've got a lot going on money wise right now... I'm right in the middle of trying to buy a house. But as soon as I am able to buy a motor, I plan on hitting up the river... hopefully mid spring or sometime thereafter.

14. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Anytime you want to go just pm me.Im fishin most of the time. I know whats its like gettin the house.Its all worth it in the end. I have an old 10 footer jon that I dont have a title for so I just use it to float the river, no motor or nothin, just oars. Its really fun and you are right in town so its easy to get someone to pick ya up.You would be suprised how many places you can access that way.More vehicle access would make it alot easier, plus the further south you go the more boat friendly the river is.That way you can have the motor and cover more river and catch more fish.

15. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Hey Kyle, when you floated it about how deep was it? I was looking at some aerial photos on live search maps (by the way there are some pretty good birds eye views) and it looked pretty shallow. Lots of sand bars. Here's the reason I ask. Last March me and two buddies tried to use a trolling motor and canoe on the Kansas river out west of topeka... we tried to go about 400 yards and it was so shallow that we got stuck on the bottom every 10 yards (it never got deeper than 1 foot). What a horrible fishing trip... but thats a story for another day. The aerial photos of the Arkansas river sure remind me a lot of what the Kansas looked like. Did you have any trouble getting stuck? Is it deep enough to even use a motor on?

16. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Steve it is very similar to the Kaw river in that they are wide shallow prairie rivers with braided channels. When its low or even normal around Wichita you can get stuck a lot.I ususally go when the river is up a little bit because it does suck getting stuck all the time.The vast majority of the river is shallow but youd be suprised how fast it can drop from a foot or two to six or eight feet.The further south you go the more creeks and smallers rivers dump into the arkansas and add more water. The first time a took the boat out I was with my wife and we went at night(not a good idea for the first time) and forgot a light.lol.Lets just say it was interesting. The river was movin and all was well until we heard what sounded like a dam.You will always hear them way before you see them. Anyways with no light we made our way to the bank underneath the bridge.It wasnt a dam but was damn near one.We were able to portage around it without any problems but it was an adventure to say the least.We went back to that spot during the daytime and were glad er went around.lolA jon boat with no motor will go in extremly shallow water, but the key is travel as light as possbile and dont forget the light.:big_smile: