Nice channel catfish

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by rednecksportsman511, Nov 13, 2006.

1. rednecksportsman511

rednecksportsman511 New Member

State:
    Birmingham, AL
    Went out this afternoon, set out my line and twenty minutes later had a nice channel. Set out around 4:30 (sun sets about 5). Swivel rig baited with a chunk of hot dog. I was clearing some brush that had grown up and just as i sat down and began to whittle, my rod smacked the water and went straight again. Second later, the rod was being pulled towards the water.

I don't know about any other places, but in the lake I fish, once it's late-fall and on through winter, they hit hotdogs like crazy. Now, fishin every day for 2-3 hrs a day will only produce 3 or 4 fish a week, but they are always good-sized.

This one was 7lbs. 13oz.

Oh, and by the way: what's y'alls favorite hook for channels of this size range? I was using a 2/0 khale with double barbs. They work alright. Please include brand name and size and where to find them.

Thanks!-pics to follow

2. rednecksportsman511

State:
    Birmingham, AL
    here are the pics. 7lbs 13oz

Attached Files:

3. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Nice fish! Thanks for the pics. I use 5/0 eagle claw kahle hooks. They seem to work well for all catfish under 20#. Work good with live perch for bait too. Are you using whisker stickers? Those are good hooks too.

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Congrats on a nice catch

5. rednecksportsman511

State:
    Birmingham, AL
    thats exactly what i'm using, whisker stickers by strike king in 2/0 and 3/0

6. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Nice fish! I love a good Octopus Circle Hook by Gama, but I am a circle hook guy. not everybody likes them and some people hate them.

7. MR SANDMAN 800

MR SANDMAN 800 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Nice channel...I've never tried a single hook w/ hotdogs. Usually use a carolina rig w/ a treble hook just small enough so the hook points don't stick out of the hot dog where you can see them. I use a snap swivel too...just slide the eye of the hook through the meat of the hotdog and snap it on. I'll have to try single hook next time I use dogs.

8. Bullet_Ride

Bullet_Ride New Member

State:
    AZ
    Good job man, that sounded like alot of fun

9. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    i am with john on htis for small channels i like the whisker stickers and nice fish man

10. Cutter

Cutter New Member

State:
    Hickory, NC
    Congrats John on that nice channel.

11. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Nice fish John. I do all my fishin with a Gama 8/0 octopus circle hook on a carolina rig. And channels is what I'm after.

12. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Man, that is a nice Channel cat!

Never thought about using hotdogs for cats because when I was a kid and couldn't afford worms, I'd sneak some hotdogs out of my mom's fridge and go catch bream...so I always associated hotdogs as bream bait.

I'll have to take a couple with me next time!

13. idolg

idolg New Member

State:
    Colfax, NC
    Nice Cat! Nice pics! We were trolling for stripers a couple of years ago and took a lunch break in a nearby cove. I had an extra hotdog so I baited my hook like you did and caught a 4.5# cat. Never used a hotdog since. I just thought it was a fluke. Maybe I ought to try it again.

14. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Congrats on the nice fish & thanks for the pics. I use 8/0 circle hooks with hotdogs & have caught lots of cats under 5lbs with'em.

Good luck & catch some more:big_smile: :big_smile:

15. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Congrats on the catch John.Great pictures.Thx for sharing.

16. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Great fish! I use Eagle Claw Lazer Sharp 2/0 Kahle hooks but lately I have been using Eagle Claw straight-shank 1/0 hooks. I don't know much about 2-barb hooks (I used them once a while back). I guess it makes it harder to remove the hook:smile2:

17. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Those are some, nice channels!

18. villaitefla

villaitefla New Member

State:
    Florida
    Nice fish ... congrats ... :smile2:

I use a Fox series 2XS size 2 barbless hook, with bait fished on a hair rig.
    Hooklinks are made from Merlin 15lb braid. I found the mono hairs to be too stiff for catfish fishing. Barbless hooks make it easy to hook fish, and even easier to unhook and then return the cats safe and sound to fight another day ... but more importantly to let them grow to become my 1st 20lb'er .... :tounge_out:

19. jayjordan

jayjordan New Member

State:
    texas
    nice catfish, thats some good eating

20. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Nice fish! Thanks for the pics. I use 8/0 eagle claw King kahle hooks. Because I mostly CPR my Fish and have never had one swallowthe hook.