Nice california pig!

Discussion in 'Hog Hunting' started by Fishnhuntforever, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Fishnhuntforever

Fishnhuntforever New Member

State:
    Northern California
    Well this weeekend was another great weekend for me. I took a nice pig for the second straight weekend in a row. This one was between 280 and 300. The tusk measured three inches. All I can say is wow. My hunting partner and I were deer hunting again and it is a good thing I always carry a pig tag with me. This boar pushed out right in front of me and I hit him second shot on a full run just behind his shoulder with my over and under 20 gauge. As soon as I hit him he stopped and looked like he was going to charge me. I was out of shells and reaching for more. He changed his mind and ran into some thick stuff. It took two more slugs from my shotgun and one from my 9mm to end this chase. He was one tough customer. My hunting patner and I drug him 2 and 1/4 miles to the truck. It took 3 hours to field dress him and get him to the truck. He was at the butcher by 4pm and weighed in at 125 lb with everything off of him ready to cut up. He is one big pig. Fortunatley this time my buddy had a digital camera so I can share. I hope everyone else had a good weekend. I will attach some pictures.

I posted this for my california brothers to see already but I thought I would share this with some fellow pig hunters as well. To help put his size in better perspective I am 6'1" and 220lbs and he makes me look small in comparison to him. What a great time this weekend we will have to stay focused on deer as it is our last weekned and I would like to fill my second tag! Just thought I would share with everyone!

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I was expecting a picture of Pamela Anderson! LOL!

3. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Hi David, congrats on the harvest of the boar. Where abouts do you live Northern or Southern California? I always wanted to hunt for pig myself. Do you field dressyour animals or do you take it to a butcher?

Jaime

4. Fishnhuntforever

State:
    Northern California
    Jaime I live in northern california. I do all the field dressing and skining but let the butcher do my cuts of meat and vacuum pack it for me.

5. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Great story , congrats .

6. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    Congrads on getting your boar. Sounds like you had a good time..with exceptions of that 2 1/4 mile drag. Thanks for sharing your hunt with us and cant wait to see the pictures. :wink:

7. Fishnhuntforever

State:
    Northern California
    Thanks! It was definatley a great trip. I had posted the pictures in the california section under how was your weekend in local California talk. I can only post them in one area so I had left them there. I am attaching some different pictures of him.

Attached Files:

8. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I'll bet that was a real adreniline rush when he stopped and looked at you! :smile2:

9. Fishnhuntforever

State:
    Northern California
    Yeah, I was reaching like crazy. I was definatley pumped. Fortunatley I carry a 9mm as back up so if he charged I would have some defense. Plus my hunting partner was on his way around the cover. He has a twelve gauge slug gun. It was an amazing trip. Biggest hog I have ever shot. If I hadn't messed him up so much in the head area I would have mounted him. But I would rather not get a mount then ruin my meat. I can't eat a mount.

10. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    David thanks for sharing the pics and congrats on the table fair. You sure earned it. I read your post in another thread and couldn't agree more. I posted also. Sometimes think there is some confusion about boar hunting. We aren't talking about porkey pumpkin eater that missed the truck to market...we are talking BOAR. Your 20 slug matches a 44 mag ballistic wise. What I posted was a professional guides rules for taking you hunting. He didn't like a 357 for boar, but if you could put six on a half dollar at 25yrds he'd let you try, but back you up with a 308. And bow hunters he backed up with the 308. He would not let anyone hunt alone. He is passed now, but walked with a slight limp and was a great sportsman and dog lover. Even with the 308, he carried a 44 back up. If you are pumped on boar hunting you ought to consider a little more back up too. I'm in love with the Taurus Mod. 425 41 Mag. 4". Not too heavy & easy on the hand. The Ruger Blackhawks are great pistols too. Great post.

11. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    I'm a blackhawk fan myself - sometimes when Im workin through underbrush Im glad Ive got it, Ive seen some BIG ones on our lease

12. Fishnhuntforever

State:
    Northern California
    I am a big fan of ruger revolvers as well. I have a ruger 357 mag but carry my 9mm. I would carry my 357 but it is a single action revolver and my 9mm is a semi auto. I am more comfortable working the 9mm under duress than the 357. Of course that is nothing a little more time at the range would not fix. I carried and shot a 9mm for quite a few years before I ever got my 357 revolver. I am partial to the look and feel of my 9mm but know that in a hunting situation I would be better off with a magnum. Thanks for posting on the other post regarding use of proper firearms.

13. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    man that is a nice hogthat is on my to do list one of these years hope it taste as good as he looks thanks for sharing your pics

14. Fishnhuntforever

State:
    Northern California
    Every cut I have had off of him has been great! Of course I love the sausage. Good luck on your quest. It is definatley woth the time invested.

15. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Cool! Wild boar is the best pork in the world. I got a 350# boar in Tenn. with my bow and it was a ball. After going to school on a farm that raised 3000-5000 hogs a year, I was aware of how tough they are. However, I wasn't ready for the wild ones! They are as fast as a deer and mean as a snake. I got a picture of one in mid-air that was more than 3 feet off the ground jumping a fallen tree. Boots is right about the backup. I carried a .45 in a shoulder holster. The guide wanted his money up front in case I didn't make it back!

16. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Congrats on the boar. I've never got one of those. I have shot a javalina before and I hear tale that those boar are meaner than the javalina. Once agian congrats

17. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Congrats on the Boar Hog. He's got some nice cutters on him:big_smile:

We catch them by hand with dogs here, I've got scars on my legs from being cut & bitten by 'em:crazy: