Nice Blues from Ocracoke

Discussion in 'Salt Water Fishing' started by C_wernett, May 22, 2007.

1. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hopped on the ferry this past weekend over to Ocracoke Island to see if I could find myself some fish. Always have done pretty well out there. Got running a little bit late due to a ferry route taken out of the schedule, and didn't really get fishing untill nearly noon. I was hoping to get into some redfish, but they weren't hanging around too much, but it didn't take long to hook-up with a nice bluefish. Got him up in the surf and he bit off my 45lb. mono leader. Not thinking, just wanting to fish, I picked up my other rod with 60lb. leader and had the same result, so being a genius(lol) I tied some wire up. Next cast struggled one in that was right at 30". Managed to get two more in, one at 31" and the other 32". Had one hooking in the jaw and he shook it out. What a blast! This was my first time catching any blues over 1 1/2lbs., and man can they fight!!!

Oddly enough, I caught them on cut shad, that I had saved up for catfishing!

I'll have some pictures up here soon.

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I love Ocracoke and I always have a rod out targeting blues.
    They school by size so if you catch one in the 10-12 pound range its not a fluke fish. He has has plenty of others that size with him.

Try fishing for the drum at night on a dark beach.
    We dont even bother with them during the day. They spook easily but will come in real close on a dark beach.
    Nothing like 45 pounds of drum on the end of the line.

3. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Well, I'd love to make a night trip, but I don't like sleeping in my car, which is the only means I'd have to stay out there overnight. I don't make the cash to spend out on a room, and I don't have any sort of camping gear, nor can I afford it, so I make the best of what I got. I know it's rare to get into a big red during the day, but I know it's not unheard of...so I try when I can and catch a ferry back before it gets into a really long night in the car either way you look at it.

Attached Files: