Nice alternative to catfish during spawn

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Paraguayguy, May 19, 2009.

1. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Since the spawn has basically shut down the bite on the James,,,I ventured over to West Point and bailed nice Croakers from 10:00 AM until 2:30 PM. I took my down the street neighbor's Dad. The Dad is an older retired gentleman from South Korea and doesn't speak a lick of English. He is here visiting his grandkids.

We had a ball and that old man filled a 60 qt cooler to the brim with Croakers. Lots of smiles today. I launched from the public ramp on the Mattaponi side of West Point and caught fish everywhere I stoped. Started out in the York downstream 1/2 mile from West Point and finished at the bridge by the ramp. Marked fish everywhere. Squid was the magic bait today.

2. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    soumds like a fun trip what size were they

3. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Only caught 4 big two pounders. The rest were 12-14 inches.

4. screamnreels

screamnreels Member

State:
    Halifax county
    Kenneth do you ever catch any flounder?

5. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    Nice! Way to share the joy of fishing!

6. screamnreels

screamnreels Member

State:
    Halifax county
    Kenneth, you need to drive south a couple hours and get on some of these tackle busting flatheads on the dan river.

7. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Do pretty good on flounder later in the summer in the Rappahannock from Waterview downstream to the mouth of the Rap. I have yet to catch a flounder in the York River near West Point. You are right. I need to explore the Dan or the Staunton. I duck hunt both in the winter but am to sorry to drive south to fish. What the heck is wrong with me? James has spoiled me rotten.

8. screamnreels

screamnreels Member

State:
    Halifax county
    I love the winter blues, but those monster flatties pull like locomotives.
    Nothing like setting the hook and it feel like you hung a boat passing by!!!

9. riverhobo85

riverhobo85 New Member

State:
    VA
    i have also been having amazing luck out of west point on the york river not only a dozen or so over the 2lb mark though. i have actually caught one flounder but it was actually up by rainbow acres campground quite a few mile up the mattaponi river. heck of a rarity that far from saltwater.

10. muzkrat

muzkrat New Member

State:
    va.
    i was at west point last sat and had a pretty good day even with the rough water. did not fill up a cooler but had continous action. i had forgot how good those fresh croakers taste. i hope to get back up again this sat.

11. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I leave for Paraguay on Sunday. I am trying like crazy to get all my chores done so I can give the fishies one last shot at West Point. Josh Pritch might be coming over from Lynchburg.

12. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    What an outstanding act of kindness, Kenneth. I am sure this gentleman had an outstanding time and will spread the news of how nice Americans are when he gets back home.

I suppose fishing is a universal language in itself! :wink:

13. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    This was certainly a wonderful act of kindness and a trip I feel the man will never forget! Kudos to you Paraguaguy! Have a safe trip and hurry back!

14. devildogcollier

devildogcollier New Member

State:
    Virginia by way of Alabam
    thanks for sharing