ngk or champion ?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Steven Armstrong, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    has anyone tried ngk sparkplugs in their two stroke out boards? i`ve been using champion ql77jc4 plugs but it dosen`t seem like i get much life out of them they seem to foul often. i wonder if this is the plugs or too much oil, i try to mix 2 3/4oz to a gal. of gas but i don`t have any thing to measure precise , what are you using to measure your oil?

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Walmart sells a canaster that is the ticket for oil mix. It has all the ratios on it and shows how many oz. per gallon. It's only a few bucks and well worth the money. Alot of times i top my tanks off and it really helps.

3. Steven Armstrong

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    john where in wal-mart will if find this canaster and what do they look like?

4. catfishfever1

catfishfever1 New Member

State:
    kansas
    i use ngk in my 50 horse two stroke and they seem to be good plugs

5. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    It's a plastic bottle. I don't remember if it was in sporting goods or automotive. If ya can't find one let me know and i'll pick one up and send to ya. Never can tell i may want some lessons on the river someday.:wink:

6. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    NGK all the way!!!!! I have seen those plastic bottles, they have all the mix ratios on the side.

7. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    The bottles used to be in the boat section - I need to buy a new one, mine blew out of the boat last summer.

Not sure on the plugs - a lot of guys will tell you that if Champs are what your OEM recommends then that's what you should run. I've run both and don't see a whole lot of difference. I've switched back to Champions since a lot of the guys on iBoats swear running NGK's can be detrimental to a motor made for Champion. My local mechanic swears the NGKs run too hot but the Cabela's boat shop uses almost all NGK. Flip a coin....:smile2:

8. RRRKKK

RRRKKK New Member

State:
    Quincy IL
    A very trusted friend of mine in FL a lifelong OMC mechanic said to use only Champions and also to use the resistor plugs, that they perform the best with the OMC ignition and the coil pack used in Johnson Evinrude
    Don't know how you use the boat but a lot of slow speed like trolling may require a closer spark plug gap.

9. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    The one I use is made by "Ratio Right" It is left over from my motorcycle days. If you have a motorcycle dealer in town check with them. You can google them and get one online if you can't find one local.

Attached Files:

10. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    http://www.boatersworld.com/product/176971406.htm

I have one of these and love it.

As for the plugs, my yamaha came with NGK, and they last me all season with no appreciable wear. I run my motor 50:1 and haven't had any problems. As usual, your mileage may vary:roll_eyes:.

Your motor isn't running lean is it? That can do strange things to plugs also.

11. Steven Armstrong

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    no its too much oil,i`m sure i`m adding too much

12. jasonminitruck

jasonminitruck New Member

State:
    tennessee
    I just bought one ogf the mixing bottles, and the one I bought at walmart was in the boat section for $3.99. The plugs in my opinion I would run Ngk thats what I run and the set in my boat now have been in it for 2 seasons forgot to change them last year, and they still run fine. You can get the no foul fittings from a boat dealer they help alot too.

13. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    My 99 Merc. 90 HP came with NKGs when it was new. It has the flat ones with no electrode,,, just the point in the middle.. They work great.

My nephews talked me into trying Champions as they were cheaper,,,, I'm sticking with NKGs. The motorcycle shop by me, gets me a full box of 10 every few years. In fact the last box is still on the dash of my truck. They are cheaper by the box,,, besides that motorcycle guy does not want them on his shelves as I'm probably the only person that used that kind.

14. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    Plug quality has changed over the years. NGK would be my first choice. There have been rumors that Champions sold at Wally World are rejects from the normal commercial market. I don't know what to believe on that but I would buy them at NAPA if I wanted Champions. The measuring bottles are in the boating and sporting goods area. I have bought them from the Johnson/Evenrude dealer. He Bought oil by the Bbl and would sell it at a good price if you furnished the container. Wal Mart and Academy has Johnson oil on special at times. I would not recommend any other oil.

15. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    nkg worked great on my last motor, yamaha 150. know i have a 50 johnson that they work fine in.

16. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    look around the 2-cycle oil is where there at in our wal-mart and for the plugs about all japanese products run ngk motorcycles and outboards your supposed to run champion in johnsons

17. efrith

efrith New Member

State:
    Seale Alabama
    Johnson outborad engines preform better with champion plugs.
    If it is foullng plugs to often then your oil is mixed to rich ,or your carb. needs to be ajusted or cleaning.

18. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Steve, another vote for the NGK's here. I ran them in every boat motor that i've had and really like them.

I have the 4-stroke now and don't have to worry about mixing gas. At a 50 to 1 ratio you should be adding 16 oz's of oil to each 6 gallons of gas. Get a bottle of oil that is marked at every 2 oz's. then if not adding 6 gallons of gas just add 2.66 oz's per gallon of gas. buy your oil by the gallon and it will be cheaper then just pour into your smaller 16 oz. bottles to measure with.

In fact, if I can remember i'll bring you the oil I have left to the next tournament and give it to you. I still have a gallon jug and some 16 oz. bottles left I think.

19. Steven Armstrong

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    thanks johnny i`ll sure put it to use!

20. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Not my 15 seahorse-running nkg and if anything there way more reliable then them junk champions ...I had them crossed with the champion plug at Oreileys and have had way better luck with them.nkg go er blow !