NFL Playoffs Fixed ? ? ?

Discussion in 'NFL Talk' started by Madtownangler, Jan 20, 2007.

1. Madtownangler

Madtownangler New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I had a theory a few years back when the NE Patriots started winning Super Bowls. I think after the 9/11 bombing someone up high decided the "Patriots" needed to win the Super Bowl because it was a good media story. If the Saints make it to the super bowl and win it means that the NFL is even more fixed. First year back in the stadium and a feel good story and all. Someday they may make a tv movie of the week about this team. If this happens then the Bears got screwed.

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    One penalty in the first quarter can alter the outcome of a close game.
    There is no doubt that any sport including horse racing and auto racing has had its share of fixing.
    One year Dale Earnhardt suffered the entire season from internal team sabotage.
    It happens.

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Professional sports fixed! Next you will be sayin that wrestlein ain't real! LOL!

4. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    i don't know about being fixed, but it only takes one call at the wrong time to change the momentum and alter a game. it can only happen in a close game with two evenly matched teams.

5. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    I agree! I think there is some type of collusion between the nfl top office and the referrees. I think thats the real reason that in under 2 minutes and in overtime, only the booth upstairs can stop play to review calls. also, pass interference? Judgement call? what a load of hooey! if you see interference, throw the flag! If you just think you might have seen interference, keep the flag where it belongs; in yer pocket! Ive thought that the front office has a lot to do with who gets to the SB ever since the 49rs of the 80's were allowed over and over again to ignore the salary cap!

and if you really wanna see it more evident, just watch pro basketball! One team can get away with foul after foul while the other team is hit with every lil ticky tack call. its obvious! whew I feel better now. lol

6. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I think y'all watch too much 24. All this conspiracy theorizin' goin' on. I don't think that the front office or the refs could possibly determine that any particular team would win a championship and then make it happen without the cooperation of opposing teams and sponsors. These games don't happen in a vaccuum. I agree that there are and have been plenty of bad calls but the refs don't complete passes and the front office personel don't kick field goals. It wasn't a ref that fumbled an interception in San Diego last Sunday. Nor did any NFL official complete a 2 pt. conversion. We all watch these games, millions of critics that don't agree with most of the calls that go against our team. Now let's talk about who shot JFK.lol.:lol:

7. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    i have watched most of the bowl games and the NFL playoffs. I remember one game in particular that I could have sworn the refs were tryin to decide the game.

First off...let me say, i watch sports as entertainment. The proliferation of multi-million dollar contracts and then the resulting marginal play has greatly stained my appreciation of all professional sports.

Continuing on.....i remember watchin a game within the last 2 weeks that the refs threw flag after flag on consecutive plays LATE in a big game.....the penalties that they called were beyond comprehension. One in particular...a defensive lineman jumped up, moved a bit then went back down into a 3-point stance....something one sees on almost every NFL play. The refs threw a flag and called the defense for encroachment or something similar. At the time, the offense was in a 4th and 3 or 4 yard situation....the refs game them a first down...I"VE NEVER SEEN THIS PENALTY CALLED BEFORE!!.
    I've seen a Defensive lineman jump across the line and come back without penalties called many times. I've seen D-lineman jump across, make contact, then get called for a pen. And we all know about a D-lineman runnin across before the snap....Unabated pen is called there. This was not the case here..the refs simply GAVE the offense a first down..i could not believe what i was watchin.

As far as the pass interference call.....it would seem that is a penalty that also is used to help certain teams. you have a tight game, where field postion is key..then all of a sudden a ref gives one team 40 yards because the defender and the reciever were playin pattycake while runnin down the field...it's a load of BS. In the past few years recievers are QUITE aggressive, OFTEN intiate contact and frequently push off....yet regs throw the flag and penalize an often undersized defender for touching the recievers fricking elbow or hand.

enough blowin steam for now..lol

cyas
    robert

8. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    I'm not one for rockin' the boat, but Man, you need to adjust your dosage of medication. I totally disagree with everything quoted above. Your assumptions and accusations are ludicrous and absurd. Please bring some real facts forward to support your claims.

Paranoia will destroy 'ya. The glass is half full, not half empty.

Those who stay negative will see problems to every solution.
    Those who stay positive will see solutions to every problem.

My two cents.

9. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    from a ref -
    - the salary cap (hard cap) in the NFL did not come into effect until 1994. Was implented as a result of the Cowboys in the early 90's. The league did not want to create a have's vs. the have not's kind of league (baseball, for example).
    - know how long something remains a secret in sports? until two people know about it. You think it is possible for all those front office personnel, ref's, and their family and friends for all those years have kept this a secret? Don't think there might have abeen a tell all book by now?
    - wanna bog the game to a grinding halt? are you sure you want every penalty called? there is holding of some sort on every play. Ref's talk to players for both teams all the time during the game. "keep your hands off", "don't do that again", "line up on-side", "stop jumping the snap", etc. When they continue, the flag gets thrown. Refs serve more than one purpose, one is to help the flow of the game.
    - Why do flags seem to get thrown when it appears to help/hurt the most? This partly comes down to selective memory of the fan. What is the "penalty" if you throw a flag on the offense on a failed 3rd down when they are going to punt anyway? What is the "penalty" for throwing a flag on defensive holding (automatic first down) on the same play the offensive executes a successful 20 yard play for a first down? These things happen at times simply because the play is still being executed when the flag is thrown, but having a bunch of irrelevant penalties called helps nothing. Wanna make sure a player or coach stops ignoring the warning, a flag when it hurts the most will do this. And they ALL know they ignore the refs warning at their own risk.
    - where's the most likely spot to find someone fixing an outcome? On your favorite team ... to lose. The individual (or group) ON the teams can be on the take to lose (players or coaches).
    - are there bad calls? of course. When the perfect human is found that wants to be a ref, let the NFL know.
    - who is the closest to the game? That would be the coaches, players, and GM's. Who by the way have their CAREER at stake (millions of dollars) in the outcome of these games. Would you think one or two of these at some point in the history of the NFL might be screaming about fixed games?
    - which calls are the homers gonna remember more, the ones that help their team or hurt it?
    - enjoy the games folks, leave the conspiracy theories to JFK, aliens, and the moon landing.

10. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    i'm not a conspiracy type of person.

the game i was watchin....i was a fan of neither team...was waiting for another game to come on.

My comments are mostly observations....and at the end of the day, i'd rather be fishin than watchin anything on TV....LOL

11. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il

what you said. but just to throw it out there, if the NFL was fixed, who the hell did my vikings make mad LOL

12. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    The same referees don't officiate every game. A conspiricy to fix things so that one team wins all its playoff games would have to involve groups of refs. This would be hard to conceal and even harder to organize.

Lastly, it would never be the government that would fix a game because of the tragic 9/11 attacks. Those who wager $$$ on a game are the one's most likely to benefit from fixing a game.

13. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    i'm sorry but this has to be the most insane thing i have ever heard. there are way too many tangibles in football to ever suggest a game can be fixed. the pats won the superbowl because they were a GREAT TEAM and they did have destiny on there side. i do believe in destiny and when you are destined for something the ball rolls your way. and yes i do believe the saints are a team of destiny this year. there is no freaking way the superbowl is or ever has been fixed. end of story.

14. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    I agree with you there. I think the higher ups wanted the PATRIOTS to win the super bowl because of there name and patriotic image. To heck with it all, I want to see the best team, not some wannabe because they want a feel good story. Poop on the feel good storys, I don't frankly care about the AINTS and there feel good story. I just want to know the best team won.