Nextel Cup Chase Format

Discussion in 'Wolfman's Nascar Pit Stop' started by Gordhawk, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I was just curious to what everyone's opinion of the chase format for this year. I personally have not liked the chase from the first day it was instituted,and dislike it more every time young Mr France tries to tweak it! It just seems to me like there is no reward for consistency anymore. Let me hear what you all think.

2. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Glenn I would totally agree I dont like the format either. Regardless of who is number 1 at the beginning of the chase its stupid. Jeff Gordon had a commanding lead over the rest of the pack and now hes #2??? Jimmy Johnson was 6th I think now hes 1st???

Thats just dumb numbers if you ask me, even if JG got a DNF in Richmond he still would have been #1 there was no one that could touch him. Im not saying this cause sour grapes either it wouldnt matter who was #1 they should have stayed it.

I agree with extra points for winning races thats good incentive to win.

3. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    I totally agree with Gary. Do away with the chase. It just isn't right!

4. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Thats crazy, 1st place to 2nd with a 300 and some point lead? 26 races for nothing.

5. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    NOW BOYS lets dont get excited.I am as big a fan of Gordon as anyone but lets think this through.UP to this year you went in with your points so he would have been first.THE DRIVERS complained that there wasnt as much emphasis for wins during the race for the chase and all a driver had to do was finish in the top 10 or be CONSISTANT to win.I believe Kurt Busch or maybe Kennseth won the championship by doing just that.The complaint then was guys with 6 wins werent the Champion but those with that finished in the top 10 every race could be.SOOOOO MR FRance simply gave them what they wanted and I think it works very well.Thats why Jeff kept saying its not about points these last 5-6 races its about wins.Being tops in points guaranteed him a spot earlier than anyone else, so there is value to points racing and finishing in the top 10.Once in he could go for broke and try and get some more wins and the 10 bonus points.Didnt get any more but he is in good shape.Those guys in the chase with no bonus points are going to be hurting.Lets see how it goes before we condemn the format.I think it is a good balance of go for the wins and consistancy.:smile2::big_smile:

6. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Well Jim, you can think what you want to about this new chase format that young Mr. France has come up with,but I think it stinks, when the man that has led the points standings virtually all year is no longer in first place to start the chase. What is the advantage of running good all year and having consistent finishes in the first 26 races? I think the rule change to award more points for a win during the first 26 races is fine,but I have a difficult time accepting the fact that the man who is been on top all year is suddenly relegated to #2 to start the chase. I think if there going to give 10 bonus points for each win to start the chase then they should give the man that has led the points all year should be awarded some bonus points for being the most consistent over the first 26 races! I know you made the statement that you were as big a Gordon fan as anybody,but I don't believe that,because I have heard you say in other posts that you were a Hendrick Motorsports fan but more a Johnson fan,so I suppose that you would think this format is great when you can go from 410 points behind to the points leader in the blink of an eye. All I know is if this stupid chase had never been instituted that Jeff Gordon would very likely be wrapping up his 6th Cup Championship this year! Of course Nascar can't let anyone win more Championships than Dale,Sr.,so they had to figure out something to keep that possibility from becoming reality. I don't care who would have been leading the points after the first 26 races I think that man should at least remain in first place to start the chase!!!!!!!!!JMO

7. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Glenn,my heart is always with Gordon because I want him to win 8 champioships,but I would also love to see Hendrick finish 1-2-3-4 in a race.I like Jimmie because after all I'm a Jimmie to!!!!:big_smile::crazy::smile2:He reminds me of Gordon a lot,and once he calmed down a little won a championship.I had hoped Kyle would do the same.None the less you DO make a good point.WHat you get for being consistant all year is in the chase.I dont think anyone has been more consistant than Gordon.Possibly what NASCAR (France) should do is award some points for first place?It would be hard to determine how many though.Kind of like how they award a million bucks for 13th.I dont know how they would do it because if someone finished first without winning a race then how would you give him bonus points over a guy that won 6.UNLESS you let them start even which might not be a bad idea.I hated when they went from Top 10 drivers to 12.That of ocurse was overreaction to Gordon Stewart and Jr not making the chase.We will see how this works out but I think it was a good attempt at a compromise that suited the DRIVERS wishes.

8. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I think that the bonus points for winning races should be applied to their points PRE-chase. If they win a race, heck, give them a 20 point bonus, before the chase. Then for each win they had, give them 2-3 points added to their starting points in the chase. Also I agree, for each race you have lead the points for the year, you should get 1 pt. Yes, that does mean if someone had led all year, to be over taken in points the last 5 races, they would be put back into the lead.

9. vfourmax

vfourmax New Member

State:
    Va
    Actually the chase has its good and bad points. Like earlier stated the points lead Gordon had was so large that it woiuld have been next to impossible to lose, this was one of the main reasons the chase was introduced. Now the last ten races it could be any one of twelve drivers to win the championship which will make more fans pay attention to the races.
    I agree that Gordon should have been awarded points or a bonus for being the points leader or perhaps as being the points leader at the start of the chase maybe they should be guaranteed to start with a 10 point advantage over the number 2 guy.
    But if you really want this to be racing for wins amongst the top twelve guys then they really should run these last races with them having the points battle seperate and only amongst themselves for the chase. If you blow an engine or get collected in a wreck in the first 5 laps you would get tenth place points instead of 43rd place points and one or two bad luck races will not take you totally out of the hunt in the beginning of the chase.
    Make a win worth 25 points, leading the points worth 10 each week and make each lap led during the race worth 1 point. Then you will see guys not settling to run 3rd by choice because of the "big picture" as it would be to costly in lost points to just lay back. Points set up like this would make a 200 point lead only a GUARANTEED LEAD FOR THE FIRST HALF OF 1 RACE!
    Bet you would see every lap being run like it was the last one with a set up like this.

10. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    I totally agree. I AM NOT a Gordon fan by any means. But, I think "The Chase" system is stupid. I hate it. I wish NASCAR would go back to the old way. Consistancy pays off.

11. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Worst thing to happen to NASCAR since the restrictor plate.

It could cost Gordon the championship for the second time in the 4 years they have used it this year.:angry:

12. vfourmax

vfourmax New Member

State:
    Va
    I do not follow Nascar in any way with the intensity I used to years ago and the reason is it has become a very boring sport in many aspects from what it was years ago. It has gotten to the point because of the points race and the way it is presently scored and the way the money pays out a driver setting in 3rd or 4th place will not take ANY RISK to take the race lead or possibly win as the points hit will be so large in doing so.
    Drivers now race to play it safe rather than race to lead or win in many instances.One of the final turning points as far as my being a devoted racing fan that went to 9 races every year and watched the rest of them was back when Jarrett was driving for YATES and the Yates Fords were one of the main powerhouses on the restrictor plate tracks and they interviewed Jarrett before the race as to their strategy for the race, Jarrett replied they were going to hang around the back until about 50 to go then they would go to the front and try to win it. Sure enough they stayed back around 35th -40th and when it came 50 to go Jarrett put the pedal down and was leading the race within about 5 laps, he ended up finishing 7th or 8th due to the way the draft shook out at the end but the point is why have a 500 mile race that nobody races until the end when they are capable of running up front the whole time. Fans sure are not getting their moneys worth.
    Go back and read an earlier reply and how they should run the points and if every lap could influence the points then we would have a race from the start to the end every race and the drivers would be rewarded for putting out the best performance each and every lap. Also

13. vfourmax

vfourmax New Member

State:
    Va
    I do not follow Nascar in any way with the intensity I used to years ago and the reason is it has become a very boring sport in many aspects from what it was years ago. It has gotten to the point because of the points race and the way it is presently scored and the way the money pays out a driver setting in 3rd or 4th place will not take ANY RISK to take the race lead or possibly win as the points hit will be so large in doing so.

Drivers now race to play it safe rather than race to lead or win in many instances.One of the final turning points as far as my being a devoted racing fan that went to 9 races every year and watched the rest of them was back when Jarrett was driving for YATES and the Yates Fords were one of the main powerhouses on the restrictor plate tracks and they interviewed Jarrett before the race as to their strategy for the race, Jarrett replied they were going to hang around the back until about 50 to go then they would go to the front and try to win it. Sure enough they stayed back around 35th -40th and when it came 50 to go Jarrett put the pedal down and was leading the race within about 5 laps, he ended up finishing 7th or 8th due to the way the draft shook out at the end but the point is why have a 500 mile race that nobody races until the end when they are capable of running up front the whole time. Fans sure are not getting their moneys worth.

Go back and read an earlier reply I wrote and how they should run the points and if every lap could influence the points then we would have a race from the start to the end every race and the drivers would be rewarded for putting out the best performance each and every lap. Also a scoring system such as this could eliminate the need for a chase because a 400 point lead could disappear in one race and riding around in 3rd the whole year just is not going to cut it!
    You want racing, this will give it to you, not the boring bull they call racing now!

14. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I dont like the chase format and never have.I also hate the COT to,it looks like your watching some other series race but NASCAR.To me they are ruining our sport with all the changes.And i guess since earnhardt jr didnt make the chase this year they will let the top 15 cars in next season.

15. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I'm glad to hear that the majority of you agree with me,that the chase is a joke. I can't wait to see what the clueless Brian France comes up with to tweak next years chase. I'm sure he will have to change something about it, again. The smartest, and best change he could make to the chase is admit it was a bad idea and return to the old points race,with a few modifications,but that will never happen because he's not man enough to admit he made a mistake when he instituted this stupid format! As long as he's in charge I can't see Nascar racing getting any better. This COT is getting to be like the IROC series. He's ruining a good sport that his grandfather,and father worked so hard to build up!!

16. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Its not about racing or a sport, its about money.
    I've come to the conclusion its not worth getting riled up over any more.
    Evidently they are doing something right. Its the premier racing series.
    Its no longer about the old fans its about new fans.

Alot has changed since Earnhardt's death. It makes you wonder how powerful his influence was all those years.

17. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    My take on the Chase is that NASCAR had to do something so that they could compete with the NFL come Sept. And it has worked, for the most part. Face it, before the Chase format, the only folks who'd watch a race were the fans of the two guys duking it out for the Championship. Everyone else was watching football. What's the solution? Bring more drivers into contention for the championship. Yeah, it sucks. But what better idea is there? IMO A shorter NASCAR season could be in order.

Jon

18. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I don't think you'll see Nascar going to a shorter season any time soon. The more races there, are the more money they make.

19. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think the chase needs some more work. I don't think they will change to top 15 so Jr. can get in but I can see France changing the format to the top 3 cars of each make ford,chevy,dodge and toyo so jr. can get in.LOL

20. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    I believe you're probably right Glenn.

Jon