Next summers project

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by crusinman2002, Aug 9, 2006.

1. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    hey yall... next summer i'm going to start a project... i'm going to be moving from North Carolina back home to Wisconsin, but i don't want to have to rent a U-Haul, or a trailer... so i'm going to build my own trailer... i figure that i can get what i want out of it, and have it my way, it will be cheaper than having one built, and it will be a fun thing to build... the specs i'm looking at... fully enclosed, 18 foot long, 6 foot wide, 7 foot tall, strong, sturdy, the whole back will be a double door, and there will be a double door on one of the sides near the front, tandem axle, standard hitch... i can weld like no tomorrow, so that is no problem... i'm getting a welder next spring... but i still have to draw up plans for it... i was wondering if any of you have built a trailer and have any suggestions on how to go about it... i have a good idea cause i've helped weld the frame for a 6 sled snowmobile trailer before, but didn't really pay attention to anything else... i figure that i will use steel for the frame, 2x4's for the enclosure frame and aluminum for the enclosure... but i'm kinda stuck on suspension, axles, and the hitch... i can do all the electrical work blindfolded, so thats not a problem at all... just putting this out there for any ideas... i'm sure that someone on here has built a trailer or two in their day.... this trailer is going to need to be able to hold some weight, and i've been thinking about making the enclosure removable... just using bolts and nuts to hold it down instead of welding it.

thanks in advance for any help.

2. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Not trying to bust your bubble, but once you price materials (plus the amount of time required to build), you might change your mind. Not trying to talk you out of your "project", but I'd think you could find a used cargo trailer alot cheaper than you could build one (and still do whatever you want inside) that's ready to hook-to & drive away, or buy a used car-hauler, deck it, and build the enclosure to your specs.

If you build from "scratch", I hope you take the amount of weight that size of trailer can hold, in addition to it's own weight.....plus the red-tape you'll need to go through to get a VIN # & title. You might have to pass some sort of DOT inspection to verify the structure/capacities limits due to the size, but I don't know this to be fact. You'll want tandem axels, may be required to add electric brakes, etc. Checking the regulations of both states would be a good place to start. You'll have to get a title in your homestate, then get it transfered to the state you're moving to. Better be sure it passes both states laws.

Personally, I'd reconsider..............

Good luck!
    Smitty

3. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    yeah... i started to look at that... with being stuck on so much, i may just get a flatbed car hauler, like the guys use for dirt track cars, and then just build an enclosure for it... i think that may end up being best, i'd already have a vin, axles, suspension, hitch, and frame would all be done for me... thank you for the advice.

4. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    I have to agree with Brian on this for sure. I wanted a trailer to haul my planes around in so i drew up what I wanted and by the time I was done pricing the materials not adding time just materials cost as much as a prebuilt trailer would, I like others do like to build my own stuff but looking at time constraints cost I got the trailer I wanted and did some modification to it to suit my needs for about 800 less. Also I didnt have to go through the process and aggravation of dealing with the dmv here in cali either.

5. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    UPDATE: i'm going to get a flatbed car trailer, like the ones those guys use for the dirt track cars... and i'm going to build an enclosure for it... i've gotten some sense told to me, and i'm going to follow it... thanks guys... i'm pretty sure that you saved me alot of trouble... ok... so that is the new plan... just to build an enclosure for a flatbed trailer... does anyone have an idea to go about that... i was thinking a 2x4 frame covered in aluminum... or i could go with 2 inch square steel tube... the steel would be stronger, but i don't know how much of a weight difference there would be between the tube or the wood.

6. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Go with the tube framing it will last for ever a lot better then the wood does cover it in aluminum light strong and easy to replace in the advent of a mishap.

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

you could price out some aluminium 2x4's also. light weight and strong. If you need a hand welding are fitting it up give me a call. I have plenty of experience also.

8. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    hey... thanks for the offer... i'm prolly going to need a hand here and there... for the most part i'm going to be using clamps for when i do all my welds and for fitting the aluminum... but on something like this, its always good and fun to have a helping hand.