Next State Record?

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by Blacky, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Where is the next state record flathead gonna come out? It stood for a long time util it was brike not once, but twic within a year. I'd say the Susquehanna River system. IT'S BIG and has the gizzard shad population year round to sustain trophy flats.

The state record channel around 35lb will stick for awhile.

2. catfish chaser

catfish chaser New Member

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    Theres alot of big Flattys coming out of the Monongahela River. I thinks it will come from there

3. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Good question Blacky,there are a lot of knowledgeable fisherman out there fishing very good flathead water so my guess would be it could come from anywhere.Most people would say the three rivers because of the long history with the flathead but it could come from your rivers out east.I guess time will tell,there are plenty of trophies in my favorite river the "MONONGAHELA."

4. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I cant say where but I can tell ya, it'll be a BOC member who takes it.

5. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I wouldn`t doubt that for one second, I hope a BOC brother breaks it .

6. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I think someone will break the 50# mark this year! Now as far as which waterway it will come from? Well it could be any of the rivers. The guys on the east side sure are putting up some nice fish! The Mon guys I think will break the record but I wouldnt rule out the good old Allegheny :wink: after all the Allegheny held the record for many years :cool2:! If one of my B.O.C. brothers gets the record I will be proud as hell of you!

7. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I set out to do it every year and this year is no different ,I believe The state record is swimming around in the Mon, I`ll try and find him.

8. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Blue Marsh and Springton Reserviors in SE PA have huge flatheads in them! A confirmed 60lber was caught in the early 90's.

It would be a victory for all if a BOC member gets the record.

9. socex

socex New Member

State:
    Industry, Pennsylvania
    Silly Brothers,
    Everyone knows it will come from the almighty Ohio River.:wink:
    I said it would be broke last year and it didn't happen. I think when it does
    get broke it will be 55 lbs plus, and will hold for awhile.

10. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Oops! I somehow managed to not include the Ohio in my post but your right Jason the Ohio may well be where the new record comes from!

11. riv56

riv56 New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    Thats it Socex set em straight we know the state record lives in the Ohio River, an were going to get em this year, hmmm we might have to make that live well a little bigger.:big_smile:

12. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I read an article about a 50 lb. flathead some biologists netted weighed and released on the Ohio somewhere so we know there is at least one state record swimming the Ohio river.

13. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    what about lake ontelaunee, does that lake have flats?

14. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I don`t know anything about that lake Scott but you should make a trip to one of these rivers we always talk about.

15. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I think that fish was netted in the back channel of Neville Island. Two years ago I got a 36 pounder out of there.We had some fish on last year in a new spot we were trying that hit and fought like no other flatheads before but we did not land them. Will be back after those monsters shortly. My brother in law did pull a 37 pounder out of that spot and I got a 32 and numerous other decent fish.

16. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Those are very nice sized fish you catch in that area, are you on shore or in a boat ? If you ever have room for one let me know, and feel free to tell me the hot bait .LOL!!!

17. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Oh yeah! I saw a pic of a 68lber caught out of Springton Reservior in Media, PA. The fish was caught in the mid 90's.

That place is restricted to public now.

The reigning state record came from Blue Marsh on the eastside.
    The record will stay in the Eastside for awhile.

18. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I don`t know Blacky there are a determined bunch of guys fishing the three rivers and we do have some very big flatheads that are out there ripe for the pickin`.

19. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    The Three Rivers have had over 20 years to dethrone the state record. When someone did beat that record, it was ousted literally months later by a Eastside flatty out of Blue Marsh.

You must remember, there is no fishing pressure out here like it is out west.

Flatheads in non-native water grow extremely faster than flatheads in native waters.

20. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Why is it that the Flatheads grow faster in non-native waters? I agree with you that seems to be true but I'm trying to understand why? The Flatheads have plenty of food over here in the western part of the state, is the food supply more abundant in the eastern waters? Perhaps there are more Shad or something! :confused2: