Next state record flathead?

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by MossyBack, Apr 20, 2008.

1. MossyBack

MossyBack New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I am of the opinion that a new state record flathead will come to the scales this year. I am curious to know if anyone agrees with me and where they think that it will come from. In my opinion, it will come from the Pee Dee or the Waccama. You guys down there have been hammering flatheads over 50 and I think that it is just a matter of time. The Edisto is another and a dark horse would be the Cooper. I have seen some pics that would blow your mind, however, most of these were not caught on rod and reel.

2. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I'm hoping it does go to the scales this spring and I'm the one with it. But you never know what you'll get when you're out there trying. Its very possible for it to come from Pee Dee or some Santee lakes/rivers.

3. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Jason Ihave him tied to a tree in the river and I go down there everyday and feed him big bream and when he reaches the mark I will bring him out to be weighed.LOL JK I do however plan on catching him in the Pee Dee or the ICW or if I can get Roundhill to learn me how I might could get him in Lake Moultrie this weekend. Oh I cant wait my day will come.

4. big corey

big corey New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i think it wil come out of the congaree or wateree river my uncle just got back with a
    58lb blue sorry dont have a digital camera yet

5. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    I dont know when it will be but it will come from Clark Hill eventually.It might get broke several more times somewhere else before it does but when it does fall at Clark Hill it will probably stand for a long time.Theres more 60 to 90 lb flatheads caught out of there on jugs and trotlines than any place I've ever heard of.

6. catch & release

catch & release New Member

State:
    SC
    I agree Chris. There have been bigguns in there a long time. Not too many folks seem to target them except for the seiners/gravelers or whatever you want to call them in the feeder creeks. There were alot of 50-65 pound flatheads being caught out of there in the early 80's(by hand). I also met an old gentlemen that lives in Modoc that sets jugs etc, and he showed me a collection of hooks that he had had broken.......also showed me a picture of a 93 pound one that did not break the hook.

7. MossyBack

MossyBack New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I had no idea that Clark Hill had that kind of population. What makes them grow so big there? I have heard that Hickory shad were now in Lake Hartwell are they also in Clarks Hill? What are the flatheads like in Greenwood?

8. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    I dont really know the main reason other than that theres so many herring in Clark Hill that it supplies bait to the majority of SC.Its 78,000 acres but thats just surface acres.You could drain the whole Santee Cooper system and fill it back up with Clark Hill and still have water left.Theres alot of water in that 78,000 acres.Its got so much timber that provides safe places for fish to live and ambush prey and the list goes on.I've had old timers tell me that flatheads...... and blues too for that matter where put in Clark Hill before they where Santee.

I dont know about the Hickory Shad in there.

There not state record status but theres some good ones there.I'd be willing to say theres a few state records in there but nothin like the Hill.

9. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    the dnr says that hartwell is the only lake in the u.s. that has hickory shad land locked in it. they were stocked sev. yrs back with hopes that they would combat the threadfin population and die off because the dnr didnt think they would reproduce, they did and now there is a good population of them there. it is hard to crappie fish at night under a bridge cause they will bug you to death. great bait though but it is illegal to transport them to another lake.

10. MossyBack

MossyBack New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have heard that the flatheads are the only thing that can eat them and are therefore growing fast.