Next Record Channel catfish?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Shawn, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The current world record for channel cat has stood since 1964. I was thinking, aren't we due for a new record channel catfish???

Anyone hear of any legitimate channel cats (not blues) taken over 50lbs ?

Seems like anything over 30lbs is a miracle, except those ones in Manitoba from the Red river of the north....

Just wondering where the next one might come from...

Shawn

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Shawn,

I like Florida, last state record was pulled out of there, "Lake Bluff" in 1985, giving it 21 years to recover.

Second choice would be the Altamaha River in Georgia.

Third would be Inland Lake in Alabama, been recovering since 65'ish???

I like the long growing seasons - warm climate, and relatively low fishing pressure, two being Bass, the other Flathead Catfish.

It is surprising the record has stood this long. Been many discussions by members that the standards used at that time period, and what is required in this time period, in reference to cross breeding, DNA testing, etc will affect performance.

Many States have some old long standing records.

3. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Just my own opinion,no scientific basis.That channel might have been as big as they get.If it is broken,I bet it will be measured in ozs..not by pounds.124# might be the ceiling for flats also.
    On the other hand,I think the potential for blue cat could be 200# plus.
    Hopefully,I'll find out in my lifetime.

The bass record has stood for 80 some years.Some close but no cigars out of lake castiac.

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Those OLD OLD records always make me wonder. Here in North Carolina our record fell a couple of years ago when a picture surfaced of the state record catfish. It turns out it was a FLATHEAD!! LOL!

The world record Largemouth is surrounded in controversy. Lots of legend and lore along with that story. A catch today will be much more closely scrutinized.

5. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I think that one has been caught already and whom ever caught it didn't know the different between the Blue and the Channel. Its highly likely that I'm right but we'll never know I guess.

6. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    In Arkansas a 51 lb channel cat was caught in Lake Wilhelmina that would have shattered the current state record of 38 lbs, but the angler didn't want to submit it. That's only 7 lbs off the world record, let alone a new state record. Mississippi's state record is 51 lbs, South Dakota's is *55 lbs, California is 52 lbs and Illinois is 45 lbs. The Channel cat world record should fall, but will it?
    Rat

* I have a picture of this channel cat, and I'll stake my reputation as a fairly good fish identifier that it is a blue cat.

7. Jamey

Jamey New Member

State:
    Pegram, Tennessee
    Post that bad boy!

8. LilRyjoe04

LilRyjoe04 New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    All we can do is keep the hope alive!! One of us brothers is going to get it this year! I have a feeling! ;) Make sure you post it when you get it! (Whover it is!)

9. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    Jamey, here it is. The anal fin tells me it ain't no channel. Gotta be a blue.
    Rat

Attached Files:

10. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I have not seen or heard of a channel being caught over 38 pounds. I do however know of records channels in various states in the 50 pound class and even 40. Ca state record channel is at 52. I did get a 37 pound channel years ago. But channels in the range have been few and far between what I have heard being caught. Some low 30's yes, but not much above that.

11. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I think it would be interesting to see when all the 50+ channels were caught.As in what year.I would almost categorically say that the next world record channel WON"T come from Santee.The WR was caught before the blues were introduced and even though they stocked some flatheads I believe there were already some in the river.Once the blues took off they occupied channel "space" and it is the same old story of the cause and effect of non native introductions.No one will argue that the blues and flats have made Santees reputation and the channels also play an important part but they never again reached such epic size.To much competition for the available food sources.There are a bazillion channels in the lake and they provide a very good fishery.Perhaps when all the trophy blues and flatheads are gone the channels can make a size comeback.I don't recall in the 10-12 years I have been fishing there of hearing of a channel over 40lbs although some may have been caught.I suspect that if the CC record is broken it will probably come from a small lake or pond where it will be an exceptional specimen with a large forage base.There might be one in the Red river and at least with their restrictive regulation and management of that fishery the large fish are put back and have a chance.The channels metabolism is designed to function at maximium growth in water around 80+ degrees.For every 18 degree change up or down the metabolic rate increases or decreases by 50% within the range.So it will probably be a fish from a "warm" water location,that averages as close to the ideal water temp,year round.All I hope is some lucky BOC member gets it,preferably one of your kids on their first trip.

12. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    That Illinois record catfish from Baldwin Lake is widely thought to be a Blue Catfish. There are definitely a lot of big blues taken from that lake.

Almost as dubious as the near dead record flathead catfish "taken" by Ken Paulie. (and wasn't a relative involved in the certification on that...)

shawn

13. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    The dates for the ones I posted are:

World record 58 lbs........7/07/64
    Mississippi's 51 lbs..........5/31/97
    Arkansas 51 lbs..............1993*
    South Dakota 55 lbs.......5/18/49
    California 52 lbs.............7/12/93
    Illinois 45 lbs.................2/07/87

* not certified as a record
    Rat

14. TXBlueHunter

TXBlueHunter New Member

State:
    Flower Mound, Texas
    To add to these I have listed the Texas Channel Cat State records below. Kind of low compared to the otheres.

36.5lbs ........ 3/7/65 R&R
    16.12lbs........ 6/1/05 Fly fishing
    37.07lbs.........10/28/03 Unrestricted (trotline)
    47.22lbs.......... 1/5/03 Private Water

15. muskyman

muskyman Active Member

State:
    Loudon TN
    Name:
    David
    I caught a 44lb channel and it was like night and day compared to the blues I have caught in the past. It was an easy one to identify. Plus I had an anal fin count. But ya, I gotta agree with ya, I have seen alot of these blues that are recorded as channels and I have to agree with ya - it makes you wonder. Heck, the In-Fisherman did a great article on the blues vs channels record thing a while back. They even said that my fish was probably a blue ! Go figure, some writer, who was never there, never saw the anal fin pics or any of the other ones - he just went from what he had heard. I saw the 52lb channel caught that Calif recognizes as the channel record. And let me tell you, it was defintely NOT a channel. I weighed the fish, I worked at the lake at the time. Someone said " it's a channel, and they told their friend and so on and so on - and low and behold, we have a 52lb channel that was 100% blue catfish. You should see the pics of it - anyone who knows cats will say the same thing. It just goes to show you though.

16. terrycook3

terrycook3 New Member

State:
    minnsota
    there are lots of huge channels at lake casitis in southren ca -ive caught about 40 over 20 lbs-and 2 over 30-33 and 38 lbs-i had one on that had to be well over 40-maybe 50 saw me off on a ledge-they get fat on a huge abundance of natural forage -stocked trout and long growing season-the next world record catfish and largemouth bass is swimming in this lake right now! i now live in duluth mn so ive been forced to lower my standards! gl to all of you this year!

17. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Yeah dave that cat that Lee Porter caught was more likely a blue or one of those hybrids they use to stock back in the days. I have not seen lee in years either.

Casitas does have the monster channels in so cal. That lake is on my list of cat spots to hit. they do not have blues in that lake so there will not be much mistaken for what you get.

18. rednecksportsman511

rednecksportsman511 New Member

State:
    Birmingham, AL
    i pulled a huge channel out of my lake (found it, didnt catch it). i didnt get a weight on it :( but it had to be in the 40-50lb. range. yall can bet ill be workin hard this spriong and summer to catch a biggun. now i have a 50lb digital scale, so i can get a weight! :) a while back i posted a list of a bunch of state records for blues, channels, and flatties-i think its under the blue forum.

19. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Hey Shawn. There are several lakes down this way that have big channels in them. Nothing to say coffeen or sangchris couldnt have a biggin in them. Power cooling lakes. No blues stocked.

BOC brother Butchy caught a 30 lb plus channels out of Glenn shoals last august. Was broken off by several bigger or smarter. He CPRed the fish. It is in his profile. I know there are no blues in Glenn shoals.

California or any number of power cooling lakes or southern resevoirs could have a big CC swiming in them. I believe most people dont target the big CC.

I know I would have never believed there was one in my home lake that big if I wouldnt have seen the pic of it. IMHO the big ones dont eat the same food as the little ones. Butchy caught his on a live bluegill. Just as if he was fishing for a flathead.

20. jstall

jstall New Member

State:
    Gary Texas
    Texas record Channel cat is, unrestricted 37.07 and rod and reel is 36.5