Next Generation Catfisher

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by Kyrednecker, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Kyrednecker

Kyrednecker New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thursday, I pulled out my lightweight pole. threw a dummy weight on the brand new bait caster reel; and tried to get a good feel for the mechanics of the reel before going out to the water to inevitably display the largest bird nest the lake has ever seen. ( I think I heard the birds laughing at me..)
    Anyhow, I'm out in the yard, casting out, reeling back. Cast out, reel back, you know the routine. I happen to look over my shoulder, and I see this big sloppy tongue licking the window of my home.. and my son behind the dog laughing, and yelling at me. "Well", I thought, "This is a good a time as any." So I let my 2 year old son out into the yard, and I let him watch me cast out a few times. I got to maybe 3 cast's, and he comes up yelling, "fishy, fishy, my fishy..". "Alrighty!" was my thought.
    In the picture I have as an avatar.. He was reeling in the dummy weight. The minute after this picture.. he decided he wanted to cast the pole too.. I was just out of reach of this wild pitch, but that gave me proof that this boy will be a dang good catfisher in the future years.
    Now, I have to get him away from teasing the dog with the fishing pole. Apparently, my dog loves to chase the dummy lure just as much as I like to throw it..I will have to get a video of that one for you guy's later.

Just a quick question before I post this..
    would you guys have any suggestions as far as teaching a young angler how to fish? I was thinking of grabbing a SPONGE BOB pole at the local redneck store ( Wal-Mart), and letting him cast out some weight in the yard before taking him out to the water? I don't want him to get hurt, and more importantly, I don't want to get hit by any run away weights.. Any help would be appreciated.
    Omer.

2. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    This is the beginning of those find memories that will never leave you,enjoy him while he's young because they grow up faster then you think and then they leave out in to the crul world

3. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    My daughter is now 9 and is a pretty good fisher person! (got to be PC) I started her by getting a Barbie pole and the casting weight and tired to do it in the yard with ZERO luck. We got her out by the water though and she was a champ. That stupid little pole was launching the casting weight about 50-60ft.
    After she started getting bored with her lure (that the fish were not biting) I put on a small curl tail grub and she had BLAST on the small sun fish and bass.
    When she hit 4 I got her a small $20 under cast reel with 4lb line and she still uses it to this day. She has caught a few 4-5lb bass on it with the light line. She loves the power baits also so she did not have to touch bugs and worms and she still uses them also.

If I were to do it again I would have put the kiddie pool out in the yard and challenged her to hit the pool then worked it down to a bucket. She might have been more interested in casting for accuracy if there was a point to the challenge.

4. MattE

MattE New Member

State:
    Pike County, Ky
    The best advice I have for you as a Dad of a 2 year old fisher, is just grab a pole and head to the river bank.

We have a large flat peice a land that runs along the river, that I take my son, and my dad to fish.

Dad and I hook them and let him reel them in. He has so much fun, playing along the river bank, and "catching" fish.

Attached Files:

5. Springfield45

Springfield45 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I agree with Matt, just get him out there and give him a rod with a fish on the other end to reel in.

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Fish,fish,fish. Ya gotta have action to keep em interested. My suggestion. A blue gill honey hole would do it.:wink:

7. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    All the suggestions are great:big_smile:. Don't make the trips to long . Have patience ! Get him used to wearing a life jacket . They make them with 2 chest snaps and 1 that wraps up between his legs so he doesn't slip out.Work on swimming if you can . These are the only suggestions I have to add . I take my 7and 6 year old son and my 4 year old daughter so I have my hands full . If I am fishing as well I use 1 rod with a circle hook Iam ussually to busy unhooking bluegills to pay much attention to my rod!:roll_eyes:

8. wildcatter

wildcatter New Member

State:
    Irvington, Ky
    I have been taking my 3 yr old grandson out for the last month, he really enjoys bringin em in. . Wish I had all my grandchildren close by so I could teach them all.

9. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like great fun. I will be taking my 2 year old daughter out to go fishing is Sep, when I am home from the desert. It is pretty exciting.

10. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Enjoying this thread :smile2: Getting ready to teach my grandson the fine art of fishing next summer. He'll be 2 1/2 in the spring when weather permits him to go with me, don't want to freeze him out on his first trip that would turn him off to fishing for life I think.:wink:

11. kyboytimbo

kyboytimbo New Member

State:
    Kentucky,Louisville
    One of the greatest inventions i have seen yet for young anglers was down at cumberland, it looked like a shotgun pole i dont know how well it hold's up to fish on it but you pump it much like a water gun an shoots the hook bait an bobber all at once. it shoots a good 20-30 yards an you reel it in like a normal reel. Not sure how well i works buts sounds good an safe in theory. Eliminates the threat of backlash an loose weights or hooks.

12. kyboytimbo

kyboytimbo New Member

State:
    Kentucky,Louisville
  13. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    I'd go with spongebob for a couple of years. Later he can try a small telescopic rod & reel with a 4lb test line.

14. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    You're right! Don't give him the wrong impression the first time around!

15. rivertoon

rivertoon New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I have a ten year old son and he fishes with me nearly every time the boat is on the water. I started him off with a small pole that fit him and fished a lot of farm ponds. I found a pond where the owner fed the fish and took dog food to feed the fish when we first started to fish. This would get the fish active and on top of the water. I would give him a disposable camera and let him take pic. for a while and fish for a while. We never stayed too long and always took snacks. How ever you try to teach them just remember to make it fun and let them be in charge on how long to stay. Best of luck:wink: