NewYearsEve Cats!!!

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by CincyCat, Dec 31, 2007.

1. CincyCat

CincyCat New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'm happy to report that I had a chance to hit the river in my Whaler today (12-31-07) from noon to 5 and caught two blues at 17.5 and 18 lbs. Both were released in great health of course as all my fish are. Both came on 5-6 inch live shad in 20 feet of water. I MISSED another 5 great runs and also had many other taps thru out the day, so I feel like I only had a decent day that could have been a great day.

I'm still trying to decided the hook of choice for these blues...???? Trying lots of different styles and sizes.

Another boat came close to me and after seeing me catch the first 18 lb'r.... they asked if they could tie up kinda close, but not in my way, and I saw them catch two blues around the same size. I told them where they could catch bait, so i'm assuming they where also fishing like I was.

Also notice the one close-up pic of the 17.5 lb blue.......it had a forked whisker on one side only.....I've never seen that before.

Anybody else????

Happy New Year everybody!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attached Files:

2. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Real nice lookin Cats....And happy New Year also.

-Jim-

3. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    we caught several this past summer on the tenn river that had forked wiskers

4. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    Sounds like a good day of fishing. Congrats and Happy New Year.

5. jwfish

jwfish Member

State:
    columbus ohio
    If you don't mind me asking what pool in the river do you fish and a ramp to launch.I am from columbus and have had problems finding ramps open in the winter down that way.

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    A great way to finish a year. Thanx for sharein.

7. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Man our lakes are all Frozen and there are Big ice flows on the Missouri river and the wind chill -8 degrees!!! I guess I'll just have to crack the seal on a bottle of Crown. Thank's for sharing the Pics. it sorta kinda helps a little.Happy new Year.
    J.D.:wink:

8. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey Griff,

"Now that's how you finsh out one year & start off the next one"!
    :wink:

9. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Nice way to finish the year. No go out and start trying for the new state record.

10. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    I have caught a lot of catfish in my time and I have never seen one with a forked wisker before.

11. CincyCat

CincyCat New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Everyone.....Thanks for all the nice comments. I'm actually heading down to the marina toady to cover my whaler so I'm going to throw out a couple lines for the heck of it.

jwfish - I the area from downtown Cincy going east a few miles. I have a boat in a marina out that way and I keep my 13' Whaler docked up with it, so I don't use the boat ramps except for twice a year when I drop it in or take it out for the year. This year I'm leaving the Whaler in the marina all winter now that I've got my catfishing addition back :wink:.

But to answer your question, there are two ramps I can recommend:

Schmitt field off route 50 about 2 miles east of downtown. I'm not sure they are open this time of year, but it's an option.

And the public landing right behind US Bank Arena. Its free and plenty of parking. The Licking River in Ky. is directly across.

12. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    nice fish brother, hope 2008 is a good year!! rollo

13. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Nice fish Cincycat glad to see you are still making us all look like rookie's!!!LOL On another note, I am almost positive Schmidt is closed for the winter, we usuallly just put in behind US bank arena.

14. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member

State:
    Hampstead, NC
    Those are some nice blues you caught. Happy New Year.

15. jwfish

jwfish Member

State:
    columbus ohio
    Thanks for the info on ramps I know schmitts is closed but may be I will see some of you on the river here in a week or two.Thanks Jerry