Newton Lake

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by tm509, Feb 23, 2006.

1. tm509

tm509 New Member

State:
    central IL
    has anyone done much fishing on the Newton Lake? I've only been fishing there once, but we caught quite a few nice fiddlers on nightcrawlers. I plan on going back in the spring, any ideas on bait for the larger fish?

2. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

Well, there are numerous baits that can be used. Any thing from livers, to Danny Kings Punch bait, prepaired dip baits, cut blue gills, whole gills(take off the tail, and some of the scales by it) cut or whole shad if the are in the lake.

Ray

3. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    tm105,
    I fished the Newton Lake for a couple years when I lived in the area. There are an overabundance of channel cat in the lake, The little ones can run you crazy so to catch the bigger fish you have to use bait other than worms, stink bait etc. My best fishing was using shad I caught in the lake. They can be a bit hard to find but the time spent looking for them will pay dividends. I even picked up three very nice ba$$ using shad for bait, the biggest of them being 24".

I put into the lake on the east access. From Palestine it is much closer to go to Hardenville, across to St. Marie, then on west to the road that runs down to a little town called Bogota, the access road goes west from there to the boat ramp.

I could usually find shad in the little bay to the right of the boat access, or across the lake in a small bay there. Here are some of the best places I found to catch the bigger ones. I caught several that would go 8 # or so, but most will be good eaters.

4. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    I fished Newton Lake for about two years while living in the area. There is good channel cat fishing but the small ones will harass you when using worms & stink bait. Sonny's proved by far to be the best if I couldn't find the shad. Shad is the best bet for the bigger fish, my best bet was using only the shad heads. I put into the lake on the east boat access. The road to it is on the north side of Bogata. Best way there from Palestine would be through Hardinville, Ste. Marie and on west to the road going down to Bogota.

I usually found shad in the inlet to the right of the boat ramp, or across the lake in a small bay there. The ba$$ will also bite the shad, my best one was 24". Its unlikely I will ever get back to the lake but I enjoyed fishing there. The west side which is the hot side, is open all winter and I have caught some nice fish up into late December.

Some of the best fishing spots I found were:

5. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    I fished Newton Lake for about two years while living in the area. There is good channel cat fishing but the small ones will harass you when using worms & stink bait. Sonny's proved by far to be the best if I couldn't find the shad. Shad is the best bet for the bigger fish, my best bet was using only the shad heads. I put into the lake on the east boat access. The road to it is on the north side of Bogata. Best way there from Palestine would be through Hardinville, Ste. Marie and on west to the road going down to Bogota.

I usually found shad in the inlet to the right of the boat ramp, or across the lake in a small bay there. The ba$$ will also bite the shad, my best one was 24". The west side which is the hot side, is open all winter and I have caught some nice fish up into late December.

Its unlikely I will ever get back to the lake so I will give you details of some of what were the most productive spots for me.
    1. On the west side, aproximately 1/4 mile south of the hot water discharge is an old rotting dock. Tie up to the old dock and fish the drop off 30 to 40' out.
    2. Anchor 30-40' off the center of the point where the lakes come together and fish toward the concrete thing that sticks up.
    3. east side of the point where the lakes come together, anchor 20-30 ft. out, and fish toward the brush, and the flat that lays southeast.
    4. from the east boat ramp, just before you go out into the lake and the shoreline heads north there is some brush, anchor 10 ft. south of that, and fish the drop 50-60 feet out.

These 4 spots have proven to be the most productive for me. I always came home with some nice fish. Again, shad are the best bait, second would be Sonny's stink bait but expect the small ones to harass you when using it.
    There is one other spot I fished with some luck. East of the point where the two channels come together, all the way to the east side of the lake is a channel which runs east. You will recognize it by a partial pond dam near the end of the channel. I have had some luck fishing along this channel.
    There have to be some very big fish in that lake but the biggest I could ever catch was 8-10#. I always intended to fish it at night but just never got around to it.

Good luck.........