News on Lake Norman Tournament 1.12.08

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by WylieCat, Jan 11, 2008.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Some good news about the tournament before it even starts!!

Biologists from the NCWRC will be present to measure, weigh, and collect the otolith from many of the blue catfish that are caught in the tournament. They will use the data to beging the process of tracking the growth of the blue catfish on Lake Norman.

They have had a hard time getting adaquet samples from their netting attempts and the tournament should offer them a chance to examine a wide variety of age classes of blue catfish. We should all thank Omar and the folks at NCCATS for their cooperation in this unprecidented collection of scientific data on blue catfish in North Carolina.

The only down side is that the fish will be killed in the process. The good news is that the meat will not be harmed and you will be able to fillet the fish after the process is complete. Please bring a cooler, ice, a fillet knife, or be prepared to take the fish home with you for preparation.

While we all like to release big fish, the gain from the research outweighs losing a few fish in the process.

2. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i just hope i dont let them down.....:wink:

3. andrewlail76

andrewlail76 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    My friend is fishing a bass tournament there today...is that the Tourney you're talking about, or is there a catfish tournament too..

4. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

This one is definitely a catfish tournament Andrew.......the first NCCATS tourney of 2008 :cool2:.

Here is a link for your convenience:

www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67790

5. dana

dana New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I didnt know, Maybe next time.

6. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Hey buddy! I see you finally found your keyboard :wink:. Your fishin' partner wasn't so keen on competing in January, even on Norman - else I'm sure he'd have called you up. You could've taken ME along though :smile2:. The weather was GREAT compared to some of the winter tourneys I can think of in years past.

Hey y'all, this is my friend Dana. He fishes quite a few of the NCCATS tournaments every year, and is a really nice feller.

(Dana, does Omar not have your email addy? You'd get all the info that way.)