News Bullentin From Shakespeare

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by fishinpals, Jan 17, 2007.

1. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Just received email from Shakespeare with this info-

[FONT=&quot]SHAKESPEARE FISHING TACKLE ACQUIRES PENN FISHING MFG. CO., [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]A LEADING SALTWATER REEL COMPANY[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]For Immediate Release [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Columbia[/FONT][FONT=&quot], SC[/FONT][FONT=&quot] – Shakespeare Fishing Tackle, a leading manufacturer of fishing rods, reels, fishing line and accessories is pleased to announce the acquisition of Penn Fishing Tackle Mfg. Co. Founded in 1932, Penn is the market leader in saltwater trolling and spinning reels and saltwater rods.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]These products include the famous Penn International®, Senators®, GT, and GTO trolling reels, as well as Slammer® and Spinfisher® SSM and SSG spinning reels. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]“For 75 years, Penn products have been the gold standard for offshore, inshore and surf fishing,” according to Scott Hogsett, President of Shakespeare. “Shakespeare is excited to be able to add Penn’s broad assortment of saltwater products to complement the current Shakespeare, Pflueger and All Star freshwater, inshore and saltwater offerings.”[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]“We look forward to bringing to Penn the vast new product introductions and innovation that our customers have come to expect from Shakespeare and Pflueger each year. The Penn name is one of the greatest brands in fishing, but has lacked the resources to grow and develop markets. Our volume and economies of scale will allow us to reinvest in the brand and grow market share.”[/FONT]

2. Bravesnflat25

Bravesnflat25 New Member

State:
    Anderson
    Hey That sound nice. THanks for the info. Would have never though PENN Would sell out

3. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    There goes another made in america product.

4. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    :angry: The one brand reel I thought I could depend on......:angry:

5. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    This isn't the end of the world, Shakespere is one of the most known names in the industry, they make quality products at a resonable price for the average joe, and if you have the $$$ there are some high end products out there also. Just think about it, maybe you could get that penn/uglystick combo in the same package!!!

Aaron Drier

TA2D

6. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    I bought a new penn 309 back in Sept. and the made in USA logo was gone...replaced with made in china.:sad2:

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Well like i allways say name brand made by china that company is really big

8. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    I must admit I own a few ugly stiks but was hoping to get a made in USA penn reel eventually.

9. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Shakespheare is a decent company, the ugly stik's are all awesome, and are definitely my favorite rods. But Penn has always been something I get when I want TOUGH, and now I'm a little concerned Shakespheare will change that. I like Shakespheare for what it is, I just don't think they will do well with Penn.

10. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Arn;t the Pflueger Trion 66's being made in Korea now?I am looking at the new 2007 Cabela's Saltstriker 6600x round bait caster.It has "product of Korea"on the foot and looks to be the same reel.It has the Trademarked UNI-LOK ANTI-REVERSE on the handle like the Pflueger Trion 66.It also has a little perforated copper disk in the spool tensioning cap that looks identical to the one in the Daiwa Ambassador 4H that is suppose to be 30 years old.That makes me wonder if Daiwa makes them.The 2 1/2 year old Shakespeare Tidewater TWS70SL Spinning reel that I am looking at has a "China" sticker on the foot.It all makes me glad that I should never have to worry about parts for reels in the future.I have a feeling that it is going to be a nightmare.I love you brothers and sisters.peewee

11. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Hum I never tought Penn would sell, I wonder what this means for Penn?

12. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    well i guess all good things come to an end,shakespear does make some good stuff but in the long run i think that they are out for the quick cheep buck.i guess the penn reals i have now are going to have to last me a looooooong time,but that shound be to hard cuz there penns!

13. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Shakespeare now owns-

Pfluger
    XTOOLS
    All Star
    Cajun Red Line
    Ugly Stick
    Penn

Shakespeare is owned by K2 Inc. which own several sports companies
    Click here for K2 companies

14. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Jim,
    Thank you for the update.

15. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Jim ,
    Thanks for taking time to share trhis information with us.
    Take Care Thanks
    Paul Lawrence (Olddriller)

16. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Hopefully it will mean someone will look at the recent re design of the PENN spin reels and fix some of the problems.I use PENN 7500s and the new ones did away with the anti reverse lever.That really sucks if you put your hooks in a hook holder and tighten the line when you stow the rod.With the lever all you have to do is release it to free the line.Also the part of the grip that sticks out and functions the bail release prevents you from picking up the line right at the sweet spot ,or at least with my hand and finger combination.K2 is a very good company however and I have used their Skis for years.Penn should now have the capital to expand which they didn't have.One other thing they did recently is change to color of my favorite catfish rod (SLAMMER) from white to Black.No reason just cosmetic but I guess they figure no one fishes at night.:sad2:

17. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    Thanks for the info fishinpals.

I do have one observation however. I searched the web and was unable to find any mention of the proposed Shakespeare / Penn merger.

Could this be an urban legend? :big_smile:

18. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well I guess both of those are outa the question for me. I like penns but I have never liked shakespear that much. So like he said there goes another usa made product.

19. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Maybe Shakespeare wants a high end reel:big_smile:

Welcome to the BOC Paul!

20. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    No urban legend. Got email direct from Shakespeare. I deal with a couple times a month.

NEWS RELEASE

Shakespeare Fishing Tackle Division January 17, 2007
    3801 Westmore Drive
    Columbia, SC 29223
    (803) 754-7000

SHAKESPEARE FISHING TACKLE ACQUIRES PENN FISHING MFG. CO.,
    A LEADING SALTWATER REEL COMPANY

For Immediate Release
    Columbia, SC ­ Shakespeare Fishing Tackle, a leading manufacturer of fishing rods, reels, fishing line and accessories is pleased to announce the acquisition of Penn Fishing Tackle Mfg. Co. Founded in 1932, Penn is the market leader in saltwater trolling and spinning reels and saltwater rods.

These products include the famous Penn International®, Senators®, GT, and GTO trolling reels, as well as Slammer® and Spinfisher® SSM and SSG spinning reels.

"For 75 years, Penn products have been the gold standard for offshore, inshore and surf fishing," according to Scott Hogsett, President of Shakespeare. "Shakespeare is excited to be able to add Penn's broad assortment of saltwater products to complement the current Shakespeare, Pflueger and All Star freshwater, inshore and saltwater offerings."

"We look forward to bringing to Penn the vast new product introductions and innovation that our customers have come to expect from Shakespeare and Pflueger each year. The Penn name is one of the greatest brands in fishing, but has lacked the resources to grow and develop markets. Our volume and economies of scale will allow us to reinvest in the brand and grow market share."

Shakespeare is a K2 Inc. company, a premier branded consumer products company with a portfolio of leading brands.

For more information, contact Mark Davis, Director of Advertising and Public Relations for Shakespeare Fishing Tackle, at (803) 754-7000 x. 3105.