News about bigflat

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by bigflathunter, May 5, 2006.

1. bigflathunter

bigflathunter New Member

State:
    Lawrence, KS
    Just a couple of announcements about recent (sort of) happenings in my life. On October 31, 2005 (my birthday), I proposed to Donita McWilliams, my best friend and girlfriend for the last four years. Our wedding date is set for July 22, 2006 in Salina, KS. Anyone wanting to go is welcome.

On March 6, 2006, we signed a contract to buy a house (condo) in Lawrence. That was pretty exciting because we got a heck of a deal on a forclosure, $77,500. Those who live in Lawrence know that is CHEAP. It's a two bedroom, two story end unit on a four-plex, with a basement (not shared). The most awesome thing is I don't have to mow, remove snow, or maintain the exterior of the building, and the building is insured by the association. Our closing date is May 11, 2006 (this Thursday).

On May 2, 2006, the company I work for informed a large group of us that we will be laid off effective May 16, 2006. If we want any other job in the company we will have to re-apply, and at this time there are no positions available to transfer to at our Lawrence location. There are about 150 getting laid off, and a total of 11 positions to apply for.

So there you have it - a July wedding to fund, and a house closing this week with a July 1 payment date, and I will be unemployed effective May 16. How's that for life throwing me a curveball? It's actually more of a spitwad right to the face. I'll just have to look at it as more of an opportunity than a pain in the butt. :crazy:

So I've developed soap box syndrom, I'll go ahead and step down now. :roll_eyes:

2. retired stump jumper

retired stump jumper New Member

State:
    KANSAS
    Hey my friend unless you just want to go ahead with the purchess of the condo I do believe you can back out of the contract. Afterall you will not have a job & it gets hard to make payments when you do not have an income. But heres wishing you & her all the best & i`ll say a prayer for you two.

3. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Brother I pary it will work out for you, just keep your head up. I have been trough Cancer and treatement, and now having a shoulder rebuilt and some issues with my heart all in the last year and if I can make it I know you can. Hey it is PMA (positive mental auttidue) not PMS that gets us trough life.

4. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Aaron, I'm happy for ya and a bit sad for ya. There are jobs to be had in Lawrence, just keep your nose to the grindstone. Boy, if you can swing the payments you should buy the condo at that price.........with the Lawrence housing market the way it is you could turn a profit real soon if you wanted to. I asume you've looked at past tax valuations on the property???

Congrats on the wedding, all that other stuff is just a little bump in the road of life!!!!

5. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Aaron, the best news is that the wedding is still on (congratulations) and you're young and healthy. If you can't manage the house payments you should probably back out. But make sure you can't before you do. That sounds like a good deal in Lawrence or anywhere else in Kansas. Take it from someone whos been there. This might open up even better opportunities for you. The worst case is that you may have to work construction for a while until something better cmes along. I know there are all kinds of construction jobs going on in Lawrence and the surrounding area that would allow you to keep your house and keep your nose above water while you get back on your feet. Good luck.

6. Pittscat90

Pittscat90 New Member

State:
    Pittsburg
    Well congratulations on the wedding and buying a house and sorry to here about your job but I'm sure everything will work out ok for you.

7. bigflathunter

bigflathunter New Member

State:
    Lawrence, KS
    Thanks for the kind words, everybody. We decided to go through with the purchase of the house. I stayed home from work today in order to finish all of the phone calls I needed to make before we signed the dotted lines. Well it turns out that CMS (Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, the government agency I work for) called my office today and requested that my company keep several of the folks they were going to lay off. Apparenly I was one of the better performers, because when they noted my absence at the meeting that was called, my ops rep called my cell phone and offered my job back! They even gave me an early pick out of 4 shifts. I got the call about my job 4 hours before we were supposed to close on the house.

On top of THAT, since the sellers of our place were supposed to pay $1,700 of our closing costs, and the costs only totalled up to about $1,100, our finance man made them prepay 5 extra months of our homeowner's association dues to make up the difference! So our house payment will be $105 lower than planned until November, which is a sweet deal.

8. kyblue49

kyblue49 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    keep the faith brother. never give up never surrender.

9. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Sounds like things are coming together, great!!

That homeowner's association going to let you park a boat in the drive???

10. bigflathunter

bigflathunter New Member

State:
    Lawrence, KS
    Nope. They had problems with some of the old people complaining too much about it so boats got banned. There isn't a curb to put it at, and I don't know anyone else who lives nearby, so I decided I'm parking it at your place. Please? :big_smile:

My folks just bought a house in Lawrence, and they closed this morning at 10. I think they'll let me keep it at their place if I let them use it and help them put in a fence. I'd rather not, though, since I think my dad would be too hard on it, and I don't want it disappearing every weekend. I'll figure something out.

11. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Congrats on the engagement, just remember, money is not everything. (That is what I have been told anyway, LMAO)

12. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Aaron, I'll let you run the idea of parking your boat here by my wife...........I've got 2 and she'd love nothing more than to see them disappear. I can't understand the scowl I get when I mention a new and bigger boat:wink:.............I shall prevail!!

13. bigflathunter

bigflathunter New Member

State:
    Lawrence, KS
    Just use the reasoning that one new, bigger boat will take up less space than the two you already have.

14. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Thanks for the suggestion Aaron, I'll get pictures of my new black eye posted soon:cool2:.

I just don't understand her sometimes, she wants to add another room on our small house and would like new windows...........their really not that hard to open if you jerk real hard. Personally, I feel recreation is very important and a new boat would allow me to recreate more....... and she say's I'm insensitve:tounge_out:

Your getting married soon, let me know when you get'm figured out.

15. bigflathunter

bigflathunter New Member

State:
    Lawrence, KS
    If the only reason I ever called you was to let you know I had her figured out, you would never hear from me.

16. retired stump jumper

retired stump jumper New Member

State:
    KANSAS
    hey my friend: I knew everything would work out & it did. Oh the power of prayer. Invite your dad to go fishing with you That way he uses the boat but you do the driving.