Newport Pier Fishing Report

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by Jedi007, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Jedi007

Jedi007 New Member

State:
    Chino Hills, California
    November 2, 2007: Showed up to Newport Pier around 5:00 pm. Caught 29 mackeral and 3 scorpion fish. The game was on. I was out there two weeks before and ended up with two baby fish.

With the Santa Ana winds the surf was about 6-8 feet. There were no fish around the pier for most of the day. I took my son out and he was disappointed and bored.

He couldn't believe that I caught that many fish from the same place two weeks later. Just goes to show you timing is everything. I stayed until about 10:30 PM.

Was hoping for a bat ray or a shark. That is when I caught the scorpion fish. I caught so many of the mackerals I changed my hook size and bait set-up. I did see another guy pull out a small ray about the size of a dinner plate. Then I saw a guy pull out a spider crab. That was the first time I have ever seen a wild one. It was pretty cool. They move just like a spider and they are fast. I just hope that I can get my son out there again when the biting is good.

2. Jedi007

Jedi007 New Member

State:
    Chino Hills, California
    Went back out to Newport Pier on Saturday November 10th. Once again the mackeral bite was on. Pulled in 26 Mackerals before switching my hook size again. Met another guy out there who was fishing with his son. I couldn't take my kids, because they were both home sick with Mom.

I did see another guy pull up another huge Spider Crab. He dragged it along the surface for a long time. Everyone on the pier was cheering him on and right when he started to pull it out of the water he lost it. It floated on the water for about 10-15 seconds before it sank back down.

You could hear eveyone on the pier yelling, "OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHH!!!!!" I felt bad for the guy. I was looking forward to seeing one up close during the day.

I saw another hispanic family about midway down the pier pull out a huge sand bass that he had treble hooked into the side of the fish. I don't think that it was even legal, but it was a huge fish. Probably two feet long and about 10-12 inches in diameter.

3. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    Cool I love pier fishing wish they weren't so far away........:cool2: