Newer V6 Dodge 3.7

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by oh no, Jun 16, 2008.

1. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I had a 95 short bed Dodge with that 3.9 and a 5 speed stick. Darn little truck was fun to drive and got about 22 mpg on the highway if you stayed under 80 mph. At 80 and above it dropped to about 19 mpg. I suspect that the V6 was starting to work to hold that speed.

Now days they have a newer 3.7 liter V6. Are they any good??? The 3.9s were a 318 with 2 cylinders chopped off, they were great.

Spotted a 2008 Dodge on Ebay for 13,500, with free shipping, nice little truck, supposed to be made in St. Louis, MO. USA

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...STRK:MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=330244006859&rd=1

Just thinking of a cheaper truck to use when my 4X4 3/4 ton is not needed.

Does anyone have a 3.7, and what do you think of it????

2. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    how do ya ship a truck? :confused2:

3. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    By semi. I have bought 3 trucks and 1 car off of Ebay. 2 I flew out and I drove home and the other 2 came on car carriers, delivered right to the end of my driveway.

It usually cost about 750-800 to ship a car from Florida to here in Northern Indiana.

Free Shipping is a Good Thing.

4. danielP

danielP New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I just got rid of an 07 ram with the 3.7. It is a very weak motor, hard a hard time hauling anything, couldn't hardly keep its speed going uphill. bad mileage for a v6. I went to a 08 silverado with the 5.3 much better.

5. danielP

danielP New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    forgot to add, the 5.3 chevy gets better mileage than the 3.7 dodge did.

6. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    What kind of Chevy???? Describe options, stick/auto and so forth.

7. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    had a dodge in today that had the 3.7 and its a hecuva engine. first time we have had it in the shop (for an oil change) and its a railroaders truck. he hauls huge chains, shovels, picks, and a huge huge box full of tools and it puts right along with out any problems. yea it lacks the power of that big 5.3chevy engine that he was talking about but with a few add ons like a cold air intake and maybe some exaust work you could have a sharp little truck that gets good gas milage and has mild power. nothing like what your gonna get with a v8 but it will be dang good for a v6. all in all i think they are sharp little motors and we have never had any problems with any of em that have been in the shop(theyve been in for oil changes, spark plugs, etc.) i think it would be a good deal for ya. hope this helps.

8. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    the 3.7 is the same as the 4.7 with the last 2 cylinders chopped off. they're a really dependable engine. they've been out for a few years now and we've only had 2 or 3 of them apart. and thats usually neglect. (I work in a chrysler Dealership) the 4.7 (the v-8 version) is a really dependable engine as well. they're strong, efficient, and durable. one thing about all of our newer engines. you'll see they now recommend using 5w-20 or 5w-30 engine oil. dont stray from this. use only what the manufacturers recommend. these engines have tolerances measured in hundred thousands, not thousands. old farmers who like to put snake oil and gear lube in everything wont have much luck with these tight engines! lol

9. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    That 5.4 Triton in my Ford has to have that 5w30. Thats funny because GMs North star V8 just takes 10 w 30 and I always thought it was kinda a fancy new motor.

I have debated this issue in my mind and with my wife over and over. 13,500 on 48 months is 333 something a month. I can just put that 333 in my Ford F250 gas tank a month and be comfortable. Me and my dog Bo have a lot of room in my cab and a half Ford. It holds all my tools, has air bags for all the weight I could want to haul. It just makes me cuss when I have to fill it's 38 gallon tank with this 4 dollar a gallon gas.

At what gas price point, does it pay to have 2 trucks again. 5 dollars, 6 dollars, maybe 7 dollar a gallon gas. I'm trying to work this problem out in my mind, because the savings are only between my 12 to 14 MPG Ford and getting 20 MPG out of a smaller truck. That smaller truck would be my run around truck. Kinda an auction running truck.

I still have to have a 3/4 or 1 ton for work around here. Heck I pulled 2 hay wagons home last night loaded, with my Ford.

I appreciate your help and thoughts. I think that 1/2 ton short bed Dodge is one heck of a deal on Ebay. Good brand new truck, and there is not a dealer around here that would even try to match that price.

My 95 was a lot of fun to drive,it would turn on a dime and haul over a ton. That short wheelbase causes the weight to be distributed evenly on the front and rear tires. Them little trucks will haul a lot.

Not as much as my Ford, a lot of the loads I put on it go 3 tons/6000 LBS. But it has those air bags for help and it's made for work. And I will always need a heavier truck for work.

It cost me a little over 600 on fuel this spring for my truck camper and boat to go to TN fishing. Now if I did not have a 333 payment, that same money would take me to TN fishing every 2 months. LOL That's a good arguement for just staying with one truck, and cussing at gas prices.

I think I will just keep thinking about it. Thanks for the info on that 3.7, I won't be wondering about that motor now.