Newcomer: can use a some of advice

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by mattaponicat74, Mar 8, 2006.

1. mattaponicat74

mattaponicat74 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Im using 5/0 and 6/0 circle hooks rigged on fish finder rigs with anywhere from 4 to 7 ounces of weight. The water i fish has a strong current. The firsst question is should i use the clicker on my reels and let them run.....the reason i ask is last week i lost quite a few fish using this technique..........all responses are greatly appreciated

2. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Shawn you can do it either way but it seems best with circle hooks to lock your reel down and let them hook themselves. Just remember not to do a hard hookset using circles or you will pull the hook out of their mouths. If needed a slow sweep of the rod backwards should achieve a hookset with circles. I know I have a hard time breaking that old habit of crossing their eyes with my hookset. Its also important not to cover the tip if the hook, just put it through the edge of the bait.;) Good Luck Bro and welcome to BOC!:)

3. mattaponicat74

State:
    Virginia
    thanks so much for the advice.....what i didint really understand is that in august and september i didnt lose a fish....and now the last 3 or 4 trips i cant catch em......but i think ur advice will help an old bass fisherman:) alot this friday....thanks a million

4. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Shawn you may want to also consider the Kahle style hook or a "J" style till the water warms back up and they become more agressive. The Kahle style hook can be used like a circle or you can cross their eyes if you want. Again..Good luck out there Friday Bud.:)

5. mattaponicat74

State:
    Virginia
    Since i usually fish 5 rods i will definatley use the J hooks on 3 of them......water temperture on thursday was 44 degrees.......when do the fish become more agressive......what temperture that is.....?

6. nuthinlikeacat

nuthinlikeacat New Member

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    I think Ken covered it well!

I switched to circle hooks a year ago. To this day I still don't like them and will probably switch back this coming year. I like trying to yank the fish right outta the water when they hit versus just letting them hook themselves.

7. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Shawn, the blues are on the way to hit like freight trains. Monday a friend and I were fishing the Ohio and he had three blues all of them were slammers. The first ones this year. Up until that dat they had just kind of pecked at it. Even the large ones. I would definitely stick with a J-style or kahle hook. Personally I wouldn't recommend a crcle hook to my worst enemy. Just my opinion. Vern

8. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Circles dont work real well in the winter. The bite is just to subtle. Once the water reaches 60 degrees I will usually go back to circles. This time of year, I'd vote for the Kahles or just J hooks.

9. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    I'm like Itch I like to set the hook hence the name (RIP). And welcome to the best catfishing site on the net!

10. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I like the Kahles and the circles both, to me a Kahle is the offspring of a J-hook and a circle probably making the Kahle the best out of all of them. IMHO,

11. catfish joe

catfish joe New Member

State:
    louisville kentucky
    welcome aboard youll

12. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    For all my catfishing I use Gamakatsu octopus 7/0-10/0, I have never had a hook fail, they are the strongest and sharpest hooks for the money. I tried circles last year and I couldn't get into the habit of letting the rod load up for the hookset. I normally catch almost all blues this time of year, but since the beginning of the month I have been catching mostly channnels, I guess the water warming up has the fish more active.

13. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Circle hooks are just fine. Get them big. The biggest you can find - Owner SSW 10/0, Daiichi Chunk Light Circle 7/0, etc... Wide gaps are important. I've seen a mix of hard take-downs and lighter bites this winter. When I get lighter bites that I believe may be decent fish, I just "help" a little and put a little pressure on to try and get the hook into the corner of the fishes mouth. Sometimes it works - sometimes it doesn't. In most cases, it's a smaller fish fooling with the bait that is having an issue getting the bait in its mouth in the first place.

When temps get into the mid 50s, the blues will really put their feed bags on. Temps were in the 48-49 range on the James last weekend.

/Scott

14. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    ive never done that good with the clicker on. seems they run the clicker off and turn loose on me. id just let the rod do the work but i use a rod with a light tip and a heavy backbone seems best to me. i use the j hooks mostly.

15. mattaponicat74

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks to everyone for all the advice...im sure all will help......what size kahle and J hook should i be looking at trying? and what are some different kind of ways to rig.....i mostly use a 18-36" leader with a fish finder rig........any other ways i can try?

16. NCvacationer

NCvacationer New Member

State:
    Lexington, KY
    I fish all set lines and use only gamakatsu circle octopus 8/0's. Since I'm usually bank fishing I use a pulley rig (for casting distance), but the fish finder should work fine. I have only lost one fish in the last four years on this rig and I think I yanked him. It is tough to let em take the bait, but if you pick up the pole and feel the line go tight in your grip you can tell the exact moment that fish knows he's caught then you let him have it and that is just as exhilarating as ripping his jaws off. Also I've only had two poorly hooked fish, they were both small and the hook exited the eye. If you do use this technique don't crank down the drag or lock up the reel. Use moderate drag and the clicker. I think the bait clicker is the coolest gizmo ever. Nothing like having your train of thought shattered by a slow click...click...click... or even better a high pitched whine. You can also freespool it and use a strong clip to pinch the line to something allowing for a good hookset.

17. Cliffcat

Cliffcat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I keep my reel locked and wait for the rod to load up.

Ralph

18. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    I fish circle hooks about 90% of the time. alot of you guys seem right that when the fish are doing their little peck peck at the bait that its not the best hook... The cicles work best if the fish are taking the bait and just moving off with them not just sitting in one spot. Now it also depends on your leader legnth... cause if your using a 3 foot leader, the fish has that 3 ft radius to move around in before they make any pull on the line at all. my leaders tend to be somewhere around a foot to 18 inches, sometimes shorter if im in heavy current or around alot of structure. I like using a clicker for mine, so that the fish can run with it alittle and then all i have to do if they start going really well/fast w/ it is engage the reel and hold on tight.

14 of the 15 fish me and my partner caught March 4 for the tourny on the potomac (using circles) were hooked in the corner of the mouth, and all got released back safely into the water whether it was before or after weigh in. The only one that got guthooked the line was cut and since it was under the culling weight we had was released immediately. now i don't know what the ratio would have been had we been using j or kahles but i'll bet more would have been hooked deep and would have been less likely to survive. So i think even if you may not hook as many because of different reasons and such, i think its more them worth it for the fish population to use circles.

19. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Cat Hunter nailed it. The kahle is the child/offspring of the circle and the "J" hook. The kahle gives you the best of both worlds. If you like to RIP and set the hook,well that is ok, if you like to let the rod load up and the fish hook them self the kahle will do that also. I have gone strictly to kahle's this fishing year!!

20. catfishinfordman

catfishinfordman New Member

State:
    Broken Arrow, O
    I preferr a 3/0 or 4/0 just because the fish is more likely to swallow it. I personally dont let many fish go just because I dont get out as often as I would like to. So in my own opinion if u plan on keeping and eating I would go with a smaller hook.