Newby question

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by LiquidSteel, Aug 13, 2006.

1. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    Ok, I'm 38, been fishing in Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, and i recently found this awesome BOC forum! I have a newby question:

What is a skipjack? Is it like a big minnow? Is it fresh a water fish? Being in Nebraska most of my life, I've never heard or seen a skipjack.

Thanks for the info and the patience!

2. bigcat_chaser

bigcat_chaser New Member

State:
    Cincy, Ohio
    A skipjack is a larger version of a shad for a lack of a better way to describe it, you can catch them on a pole as they eat minnows and will take rooster tails from time to time there is a picture of one posted on an earlier post if you type skip jack into the site search engine it will get you to all of the info we have archived about skipjacks hope this helps

3. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Dave pretty muched summed it up... I personally had never used it till last night... It looks like giant shad but the texture of it reminds me of salmon.. its real soft.. i had a few runs lastnight on it but a fellow brother caught a few nice channels on it last night at a local fishing hole of mine......

4. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    By the way welcome to the BOC... nice to have a new member

5. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    By the way...welcome to the BOC Kenny!:big_smile:

6. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    Thanks for the hospitality all, and the info. It's nice to see so many freindly people here at BOC. I'm sure I'll have more questions as time goes on.

7. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC Kenny!!

8. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Welcome to the BOC, Kenny.

9. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Kenny Welcome to the BOC,I'm sure your gonna love it here. Check out the BOC libaray lots if info there and you can check out your home state forum for lots of local talk. Enjoy and again Welcome. Don't be bashful like TEA :roll_eyes: (yeah right):lol: just jump right in here and start posting.

10. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.
    Welcome Kenny, Skipjack is a Herring Shad that is a lot of fun to catch. I live in northern Kentucky and fish the Ohio river. We catch Skipjack on a light rod and reel in current breaks and warm water discharges in cold weather. When you hook them they fight for all their worth. We use Sabiki rigs with 1/4 oz. jig on the end. Sometimes we get them with a throw net, but it's not near as much fun. As for as catfish bait, it's as good as it gets.
    Here's a link:http://www.dcnr.state.al.us/fishing/freshwater/fish/shad/skipjack/