Newby NIMBY disease

Discussion in 'Catfishing Library' started by jolie, Jan 27, 2009.

1. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    Newby NIMBY disease

You've gotten all excited and juiced at seeing big catfish pics through the computer and are ready to take on the local cats. You surf around the web looking for some helpful information, Where do you go and where's the biggest and the baddest (cats) in the area. You find a few piecemeal reports and then you Stumble into the Answer you excitedly think.

Catfish1.com or the "Brotherhood of Catfish", 24600 members strong in representing nearly every state in the United states as well as several places internationally. Truly pyched you check out your state and look for some mention of a nearby lake or river...

and feel so...alone.

ALONE

WHERE is lake X ? what about river Y??

Perhaps you fire off a quick teasing post "anyone fishing the Watertown NY area for catfish"... only to pass days into weeks with no reply, beyond perhaps a short 'welcome to the BOC' from someone from Iowa who doesn't know anything about the local waters.

Well, You've JUST caught Newby NIMBY (Not-In-My-Backyard) disease and you've probably got a pretty bad case of it, especially if you are a brand-new shore fishing catter in Northern or Western waters (although we can see scattered outbreaks in many states and regions for many reasons)...

THE TRUTH

Take heart; I'm hear to help, but lets face THE truth. The BOC IS 24,600 members but most are of them are the "here and done that", "lurk and leave" variety. The truly addicted have fostered actual friendships and a chatty 'fish stories' kind of dialogue with world wide catfish board.

and speaking off the average BOC brother. There is a disproportionate amount of seriously equipped blue and flathead monster hunters in waters where these fish begin to achieve truly legendary size, such as the Midwest and South. These regions are just plain more 'Catfish Crazed' then the rest of us (gosh bless their souls) and appreciate good whiskers. Out in the West and in the North, and especially outside of the territory of the flathead and blue, membership of solid regular posters plummets.

Take heart my friends, even if the BOC can't give you specifics about Where; it can say help the How and it can give you lots of tips to work on THE APPROACH.

THE APPROACH

Anything worth doing is difficult. catfisher, certainly is not easy. Even if you begin under the wing of some truly charitable guy who saves many, many weeks of figuring out rigging, technique, bait, reading water, (an on and on).. Still there's things you must figure out on you own if your to regularly catch any of the three major cats.

Well now have a heart Midwest anglers, if everyone has a chore to figure out this stuff; be sympathetic to the guy, who must do it ON shore, with no one beside him, with few hints from the local yokel, no "empty" livers container to mark a particularly good spot, and all on friday and saturday nights- giving up a social life , nearly entirely...

For one thing is true on the Fringe of catfish Kountry; catting is a lonely affair!

Fact is there are just two sensible approaches for the Newby catter to get his start (without someone else to guide him)...

1. Go to likely water with a bait that's likely to appeal to catfish and one of more major fish in the river or lake. The great appeal to This is time; basically because you not only fishing for catfish you can be MORE patient, and have a lot less skunks. Moreover, on Your side is the fact, that the widespread channel catfish is a congenial fellow; taking many different kinds of baits and is feeding both day and night.

Its disadvantage is obvious. if you're not concentrating strictly on catfish, You just might miss them. Usually you are going to have to make some compromises in your catfish approach to stand a chance at catching other things. One of the most Widespread techniques; to lure him up with that keen sense of smell; The stinkbaits, livers, and bloodbaits rarely works with other fish. My feeling is that if you want to be a serious catter you're going to have to start being serious enough to devote whole fishing trips to catting.

2. Go to likely water with a serious catfishing equipment and intent. Move from spot to spot, taking note of what works and water conditions. As a side before its a lonely affair to start catting with only hints and guidelines to prompt these first few trips. But by being patient, versatile; guessing and musing eventually success will come and patterns will apear. Remember Fish you Find yourself, with no help at all, are at least twice as big.

THE BEGINNING
    A long hike begins with a single step and for the prospective catter; all the legwork and guesswork until the first fish is certainly the hardest time of them all. Here's some thoughts that I felt were helpful...

First, TACKLE shops are your friend. But not, in the way your might think. Outside of Prime catfish real estate, Tackle shops do not stock catting supplies and do not have a lot of clear cut tips for the beginning. Rather tackle shops are rumor mills. Here's the scenario; a man fishing walleye is bouncing leeches down the tail waters of favorite walleye river, a nice big bite and a sizzling run get his adrenaline going and the guy is thinking "WOW, what a HUGE walleye this MUST BE". Imagine his disappointment then .lol. when his quarry in the slimy, disgusting, whisker faced channel-cat. He is muttering about it all the way to the tackle shop, when he tells his friend the owner...
    "Them dang channel cats are everywhere doing there!! I nearly tossed it over the bank to rot!"... so the first rule of a tackle shop is that the channel cats are everywhere in river Y or lake X and are caught ALL the time; while you and I now that favor certain spots like the rest of the fish in the river/lake and bite generally dusk to dawn... If you can wheedle a place it just might be something of a warning that anglers give to each other, in order to CATCH less slimy catfish. BINGO! that's big news and better than just starting anywhere.

Second You can't go wrong with a dam in the spring. in Every region and everywhere that catfish are, they come out of cold winter water, Upstream thinking of spawning. Stopped at a dam; they look for lower velocity like an eddy OR rocks and stuff in quicker water to create a zone of low velocity water; like rocks and concrete just below the falling water of the dam outlet. Moreover, Dams often have outstanding shore access. A good feature that IS NOT shore friendly but widely given is Outside bend; particularly ones with bluffs, falling down trees and real deep waters... How can you access those kinds of features?? A boat- not a common possession of the many weekend warriors that occasionally look to this board for advice.

Third and Last; Look to your brothers for encouragement, advice, and if it can be done in anyway Do a road trip get together with a BOC brother. The tendency for those suffering with acute Newby NIMBY is be discouraged enough to drift off the board without looking back. The member count goes to 25,001 but BOC is left again with no brothers to represent perfectly enjoyable and good fishery's.

Moreover from the catter's point of view, cat fishing becomes quite Lonely, when your the only guy near the dock doing it. Part of the thrill of a really huge monster is the showing of it and the elaborate fish story about it. Who are you going to tell that to? The BOC, of course, so stick around and be regular. You'll be helping and helped as members guide you further in intermediate studies; stuff like tackle and novel approaches.

Lastly do all you can to connect up with any BOC brothers that you think you might be able to drive to. The rewards are many:
    First, the waters they fish are possibly superior to your own and are incredible once-in-a-lifetime opportunities to connect to truly big fish.
    Second, any BOC brother you spend real time with, will be a BOC brother you really appreciate. You'll be looking for his posts and he'll be looking for yours. We are like each other, but the experience is just better when its people you actually know and have meet other people on the board.
    Third, Catfish relate to cover, current, time and conditions similarly across the country. Try to get to a river with a BOC brother and the catfish in your river, might be found in similar places. Watch how your brother adapts to changing conditions or a lack of bites and that is good hints for home waters. Even his tackle and baits are big clues for your own searches.

CONCLUSION

A long story for a simple disease that boils down to "It'll be worth it in the end". Catfish even outside their range are still some of the biggest fish in the river and are frequently very unpressured. Their fight is incredible, they taste good, and bite readily. Why most anglers aren't at least casual catters is completely beyond me.

but for all this, Many a visitor has had only a few posts if any at all, despite the obvious wealth of information here. Midwest and Southern anglers are legendary for the hospitality but we need anglers of every region to stay and post if BOC is the be the BEST sources of information about catting in North America. Awe-inspiring photos of flats and blues impress the heck out of everyone on the world-wide web. Those fish are not very amenable to the weekend warriors that venture out of sparse riverside foot trails, with a lantern and a bucket (or stinger).

Such was the my situation when I first bumped into the BOC and I was definitely a little disappointed with the sparse information about my area in Pennsylvania. An intense year search for whiskers brought great desire for more information but a growing appreciation of what IS here, even if no-one can name (nevertheless recommend) nearby waters.

I think I've nearly fought off Newby NIMBY but I see from time to time; new BOC brothers with some of the same obvious feelings as I had. Good luck fishing and mostly don't give up, and soon you will be the expert and regional guide of the surrounding area. that there is worth a little extra work, in itself. tight lines. JOlie (1/27/09)