Newburgh Dam

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by o'boro cat hunter, May 4, 2008.

1. o'boro cat hunter

o'boro cat hunter New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Skipjacks and Cats good size in both departments.:big_smile:

2. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    i fished there tonight for a short while but they were moving too much water... what was you catching up there adam? got any pics

3. o'boro cat hunter

State:
    kentucky
    caught some really nice skippers two 10 pound flats one 15 pound blue,seen a 30,35,25and20 pound blues.Fish where bitting really good.:smile2:Aaron

4. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    told u adam they had been catching some nice fish up there. i know it was getting late. but we might have done better up there on that right side by the last gate. and u know what might not have happened. maybe next time. i think im gonna drive up there this thursday and fish for a good while into the evening. unless u wanna get the boat out. either way im gonna go fishing. appreciate u taken me out yesterday and puttin me on the one nice fish i did manage. if only we could have gotten the anchor to stick where we wanted to and caught more out of that one hole.

5. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    telling him to go to the dam if you could not hold it down in the river how in the world was you going to hold at the dam

6. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I got a call this morning that the cats were hitting well at newburgh dam toaday.

7. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    do you not remember what the water was like up there??? there is a reason we were the only boat in there!!:confused2: arron were you fishing from the bank or from a boat? the current was swirling so bad that there was a boat anchored down river from the dam that had the anhor down river from the boat because the river was flowing backward there... :eek:oooh:

8. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Thanks for the detailed description!!:smile2: It is a good tip. Thanks again.

9. o'boro cat hunter

State:
    kentucky
    I do have a boat but the river was moving to fast so we fished from the bank.Went again last night seems to me that the fishing is better when the water is on the rise.Is this a good place to fish in a boat,and where do you put in at .Thanks alot Aaron

10. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    that dam is a good place to fish but when the water is running that hard you will need about 50lb of weight to hold the boat in place an as for a place to put in is at newburgh has a boat ramp right down from there an then there is one at angle moundswitch is a bout 10 min. drive on water from there

11. catfishparadise

catfishparadise New Member

State:
    Henderson, Kentucky
    I happen to go down to the newburgh dam quite a bit but never have that much luck...where are some good spots to fish off the dam? High side or low side? All help is appreciated. :big_smile:

12. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    low side right now ... to me the high side is too shallow for day fishing ... im thinking when it really warms up that at night that high side will a good spot to catch some good flat heads

13. catman from owensboro

catman from owensboro New Member

State:
    ky
    it's 3 foot over the wall to day i got caught playing with asia carp today there by j.w and walt. but i had a pole in hand.

14. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Thanks for the report.

15. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    thats the first time Ive really seen them jump like that in real life. Was fun to watch them guys trying to snag them.

16. wolfman

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Also met a guy there with his 8 year old son from Ukraine. The father didnt speak english but his son spoke english very good. We was able to communicate back and fourth with his son acting as an interpreter. Found out that the father has only been here in the U.S. for three weeks. Just thought it was cool that a 8 year old boy filled in the communication gap between 2 countries by knowing two languages at his age.

17. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Ya, that was something to behold, that kid was something else. Walt and I had a great time today just shoot'n the breeze and doin a little fish'n along they way.
    Was great to see the great asian carp hunter in action as well, LOL!!!

18. catman from owensboro

State:
    ky
    the best part was seeing the boy.but i like j.w's show to the new guy's to fishing. j.w don't mind giving help. i like that about him. great seeing you guy's again. fish on

19. wolfman

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Yep, everyone got a free river bank seminar by JW. I had no idea he knew how to tie snag rigs for asian carp. lol

20. catman from owensboro

State:
    ky
    it work too... i guess he should have did mine....