Newburg Dam in Indiana

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by Frog Legs, May 21, 2009.

1. Frog Legs

Frog Legs New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I may get a chance to fish below Newburg Dam in a couple of weeks. I have never fished this area and would like some tips on landing a nice Blue! Thanks Frog Legs

2. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    hey frogleggs ... lemme know when you go and i might tag along with ya i know a few spots over there. i live only 15 minutes by river to the dam. but only 30 minutes by road.

3. atvracer

atvracer Member

State:
    IN-47501
    Not to hijack the thread or anything, but I was wondering if there are any of these so called skipjack near the Newburgh dam? I never even heard of them until I joined the BOC and it sounds like I need to try some. Thanks.

Edit:Looks like from some other posts they are at the Newburg Dam. Is there a good place on the IN side to catch them from the bank?

4. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    not really on the indiana side ... its not that bad of a drive to get to the ky side and catch them off the dam... lemme know when u wanna come down and ill take ya over there

5. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    another[dave]begging for companionship...... got any bluegill heads to take??:smile2::smile2::wink:

6. tswebb71

tswebb71 Member

State:
    So. IL
    You are BAD Adam!!:wink:

7. Frog Legs

Frog Legs New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I saw that the river level was to be 15 feet by next Wed. What is a normal pool there? And can you catch the skip jacks from a boat or do you need to be on the kentucky side?

8. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    right now, you would be better off trying to skipjacks from a boat. The skipjack action is very slow off the wall on the Kentucky side.

9. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    havent been up there lately to catch skipjacks ... biga always lets me on his secrets on where the bait is. but hes been holdin back lately. :)

10. kuigy

kuigy New Member

State:
    Newburgh, IN
    I was below the dam this evening at Newburgh in my boat tossing a Sabiki for about 3 hours. Caught one 9 inch skipjack and a 12" channel against the lock wall about 100 yards away from the dam gates.

But, I don't know what I'm doing :smile2:

Any bait catching tips are appreciated.

First post, woo hoo!

11. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    cant help you on the skips roger, but welcome to the BOC! im sure youll find all the info you need on here..

12. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Roger,
    Welcome to the gang.
    You should try across on the other (KY) side in the lagoon at the side of the dam...W

13. kuigy

kuigy New Member

State:
    Newburgh, IN
    Hey Winston,

Thanks!

Yesterday there were 3 bank fishers and a boat in there. I'll try it sometime though.

14. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    ever since the water came up and went back down the skips are really far and few between from what ive been hearing

15. atvracer

atvracer Member

State:
    IN-47501
    So I take it this weekend would NOT be a good time to go?

16. kuigy

kuigy New Member

State:
    Newburgh, IN
    OK, so I blew off my plans and headed down there. I just couldn't stand waiting.

Winston, you're dead on. Throwing the net found lots of shad over there, didn't see any skips though. Caught some shad and headed over to the lock wall in front of the first dam gate. Caught a few baby channels (2-5 pounds.)

I also tossed the Sabiki again with wildly different results!

Biggest skippy was 14" but plenty of others between 8" and 12" plus two hybrids, 3 stripers (the biggest was 3 pounds,) and a sauger. Haven't seen those guys in a while.

I also tossed the net at the lock and picked up a few skips.

Cats were only interested in shad today though. Not a bite on a skip.

I don't see why you'd put off a trip down there. Talked to a guy pulling out as I was getting there this afternoon and he said he was tired from catching fish.

17. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    roger welcome to the boc...

18. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Was just there this evening for a few hours. Had a few good runs on live bluegills off the high side wall and hung up a good one on a log and broke off. Couldnt find any skipjacks. A few shad were popping the surface.

Another angler had about a dozen small channel cats caught on the low side next to the last gate.

And also another guy about in the same place limited out on sauger.

19. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    great night for catfishing ... caugh 11 total fish in 4 hours ... missed several fish and poor hook ups( dull #$% eagle claw hooks) switched over to gammas 8/0 and got good hook ups. biggest being 22.5lb blue and smallest and only channel at 4 lbs 10 blues total .... was a great night. the dam didnt produce a single bite all around the whole thing (only below)

20. kuigy

kuigy New Member

State:
    Newburgh, IN
    Glad to hear the blues are still biting. I caught one Monday and it looks like they're almost ready to head for the beds.