Newbies old boat

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by ldmoss1, Jan 31, 2009.

1. ldmoss1

ldmoss1 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Here goes with the first message. I don't even know what a thread is, but I had to tell all about my find. I bought a 1961 model Sears 14' John boat for a hundred and a quarter. She's got a 3' bottom with a 54" beam and I'm told she only leaks about a quart an hour. Next week's spare time is devoted to scraping paint, epoxy patch material, and tightening rivits. Did I mention she's deep. I think I'm in love. I'll post pictures if I'm smart enough (that ain't no cinch).

2. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    Larry welcome to the brotherhood , we are glad you joined, keep us updated on your new old boat

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Larry Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. Congrats on the boat. Projects can be a lot of fun. :0a22::0a25::0a25:

4. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Welcome Larry, Have fun re-doing your new Love!

5. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC Larry.

6. ateamfisherman

ateamfisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    Larry where are you from in texas maybe one will be close to me one of these days.If you are close enough might could help you. sounds like a good find. If you are close enough we might take my boat and go fishin. Thanks Sam Davis.

7. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Welcome ,set her up good and have fun!

8. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    WELCOME to the BOC, I know what you mean about fixing up the boat heyop erator and I bought a used boat and now the fun begins. Today it was stripping up the old carpet and get to the floor to move both seat to the rear. looks like beefin up time {the project}. We have to install the live well, move the gas tank forward, you know all the goodies, We probably will throw some paint on her before it is all over. Dont forget its not the boat its how you catch CATFISH. GOOD LUCK with your project and get in some fishin:smile2:

9. cathooked

cathooked New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Hey Larry welcome to the BOC,just ask any thing ya want and youll get all the anwsers and info you need...

10. ldmoss1

ldmoss1 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks to you guys for a really warm welcome. Sam, I live northeast of Dallas, about 10 miles from the Red River. I used to fish it a lot when my kids were growing up, and I intend to again. There's just nothing like running limb lines and short lines up the feeder creeks. By the way, I discovered this afternoon, you can hold an eight pound sledge hammer against the head of a rivit, and use a air powered muffler cutter with the chisel cut off and the shaft concaved with a grinder, held on the other end to tighten rivits in short order.

11. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC Larry. You'll find alot of good info here as well as a great bunch of people. Good luck to you with your new find...

12. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Larry.

13. tunnel hull

tunnel hull New Member

State:
    SO.il.
    hey larry, welcome to one of the best sites for valuable info that is easy to undre stand.. from some of the best fellas to ever peck at a key board..these guy's have some really good ideas and info .. boat tips is another good thread...... glad to have you aboard good luck on your boat .get her rigged to your liking an be safe!:wink: