Newbies and Novices: Ask a Question!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by WylieCat, Jan 24, 2010.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Ok, we have added a "FISHING TIPS" section to the Carolina Catfish Club website. I want to hear some basic catfish questions from the newbies and novices that we can address.

If you are too shy to post one here, e-mail it to me at dmelhorn@carolina.rr.com and I will post the question (without your name of course) and we will get a good answer from some of our local fishermen!

As always, if you are not on the Carolina Catfish Club mailing list, be sure to e-mail me and I will add your e-mail address to our mailing list.

2. MMloy

MMloy New Member

State:
    NC
    WylieCat - I have never met a shy catfisherman or woman....do they exist?:confused1:
    And I will check out the site!

3. dolittle9

dolittle9 Well-Known Member

State:
    Lake Wylie, SC
    What are you looking for on the sonar that would make a good location to try?

4. dolittle9

State:
    Lake Wylie, SC
    What type Rod & Reel would be needed to tangle with the Brutes you guy's are catching

5. nevets91

nevets91 New Member

State:
    rock hill south carolina
    dolittle9 im nowhere as good as some of these guys but ill try the best i can.

when im looking on my depth finder im looking for any abnormalities on the bottom as much as i am for fish on it. i like to fish ledges so if your cruising along and see a sharp drop off several feet than that might be a good place to try. youll learn how to to read your sonar the more you use it. im still learnin every trip.

as far as rods goi like the ugly stick catfish rods that are 29.99 they have caught alot of nice fish. countless ones in the teens and all the way up to 53 pounds with out a problem. if your looking for a little cheaper i found some called Calypso Monterys that are only 14 dollars at A&B Outfitters that have held up great and caught a couple in the 30 pounders already. just need to test em on a 50 pounder now. i hope some thing in all this rambling helps you. good luck

6. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    since i am a newbie i have a couple things i and others would like to see online or at meetings:
    1. Catfish gender identification and more information about spawing process
    2. More information about seasonal bait movement, trends and habits.
    3. more sonar/gps info- more info on-screen species identification
    4. effective waypoint management
    5. how to effectively start and maintain a trip logbook
    6, effective boat control methods of anchoring and drifting.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  7. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    What on Earth prompted me to walk to Wylie today??
    Better yet , did anyone other than a large blue yacht attempt any fishing today??
    If so , did anyone manage any strikes?
    Lastly , what time should we meet at the psychiatrist??

8. dolittle9

State:
    Lake Wylie, SC
    Thanks for the reply I writing all this stuff down where I can remember all the good Info you guy's are throwing at me It means alot!!

9. batty110

batty110 New Member

State:
    Stillwater, MN
    I'm new to fishing for catfish, (literally under 2 weeks), and hoping to get my buddy to start catching some too, so here's 3 questions that came to mind:

What are some easy to make mistakes that really make a big difference, and how do you correct them?

How do you prepare cut-bait, and where do you get it from? (it's illegal to use bream here)

If you're going for any catfish that'll take the bait, will cut-bait or stink-bait catch more fish?

10. dolittle9

State:
    Lake Wylie, SC
    Matt welcome to the USCA you will get most of your answer in the Mac-b university section in the site but cut-bait will get you the best bite I'm not familiar with your state however we can use Bream here as long as it is caught on rod and reel and I just cut it in chunks and sometime strips it depends on how big of cat I'm after the smaller the chunks the smaller the cat as far as other cut bait shad, skip jack, minnow,or night crawlers as far as mistakes go just not going catt'n is the biggest mistake main thing have fun and enjoy the great outdoors and have good fellowship with your buddies

11. batty110

batty110 New Member

State:
    Stillwater, MN
    Thanks for the quick reply. I'll have to track that section down. :)

12. scfishin

scfishin New Member

State:
    Mullins, SC
    Im fairly new as well and here are a few id be interested in finding the answer to:

- What area should i target on a river if i dont have a depth finder? What to look for in other words?

- What size hook and minimum line rating is recommended on average for catfishing?

- How do most people get their own bait? Do you fish in the morning for bait and then use them later the same night or is it possible to go out in the evening catfishing and catch your bait at the same time?

Thanks!

13. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    In a river or lake you can tell a good bit about the bottom based on the bank. Is it a steep drop off or a gradual slope. At night I've caught a lot of fish on long shallow points or the drop offs on either side of them. And if I was in a river I would find a bend after a long straight away. And fish outside of the bend. Just picture where is the current going to wash bait to. And the current has likely washed it out deeper there. Also any obstacle will hold fish. Log jams, bridges, docks, anything. And sometimes people will catch bait before fishing with an ultra light or a cast net. And sometimes folks go on bait catching fishing trips and freeze them. Bream trips can be as fun as a catfish trip.

And equipment depends on what you expect to catch. I use bass rods for fishing where I expect 15 pounders and under. And that's 99% of my fish. But I use meadium heavy stuff if I'm after bigger fish. 12 lb line on small stuff 20 lb line on bigger. If your line gets snapped then you had your drag set too tight. I like the smaller rods it's more fun. A 3 lb fish on a big rod is like reeling it in on a broom stick. And I ussualy use 4/0 to 6/0 circle sea hooks.

But all this is just my oppinion. Don't take it to seriously.

14. b74

b74 Member

State:
    york sc
    This is one of the best post ive seen in awhile thanks wyliecat, ok now when asking these things keep in mind time of year and weather temps water flow and water temps fish dont always stay in one spot they change with everything temps,flow of water and lots of other stuff...its kinda like deer season, prerut, rut, and post rut..when the deer change the hunt changes...and lots of it is you willing to learn and be dedicated...am i right dont know but thats the way i do.

15. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Qote by Chris: What area should i target on a river if i dont have a depth finder? What to look for in other words?

- What size hook and minimum line rating is recommended on average for catfishing

I think Dieter wanted folks to direct there questions to the Carolina Catfish Club site sence they have added a helps area. I'll give you some pointers but if i was you i would go to there site and post your questions again to get idea's from others.
    If i was fishn a river without a fish finder i would target outside bends, and even logjams if the river you fish have them. Night fishn you could do the same but also fish aroun sandbars, the fish will move shallow at night to feed. Anytime i fish the river i use at least 40lb line due to the logjams and other stuff rivers hold. Hook size depends on bait size because you don't want a big bait with a hook that is to small. Hope this helps but be sure to visit the Carolina Catfish Club

16. scfishin

scfishin New Member

State:
    Mullins, SC
    i was under the impression that he wanted some questions/answers to add to that site. either way thanks for the replies

17. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    you are right, right now i believe its post rut. (jk)