Newbie ?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by JOHN12, Nov 30, 2007.

1. JOHN12

JOHN12 New Member

State:
    LA
    When using noodles or jugs what lb line should u use? Circle hooks ok?

Also, posted elswhere but what is the the largest catfish u can eat, I was told anything over ten lbs was no good, also when using jus/noodles how far off bottom should u fish??

Thanks
    John

2. don3778

don3778 New Member

State:
    Walkervill
    First let me welcome you to the BOC. I'm sure you will enjoy being a member and the fellowship.

Now, I'm not a professional jug fisherman or anything but I will tell you how we rig ours. As far as line size we usually use a 30 to 40 lb. braided line just because they are gonna get hung up. We do use circle hooks on most of ours but it just depends as to wheather you are fishing for big fish or just something for the table. As far as depth goes its the same thing, if you just want something for the table shallow will get it done. We fish the Red river a lot and there if you just want something to eat you run your drops about 18 to 24 inches, and fish the shallow cuts with swift water. Works for us anyway. The bigger fish are usually in or around the deeper water.

As far as eating a big fish, I guess you can eat them as large as they grow as long as they are cleaned properly. Be sure to cut the blood streak from around the backbone if you filet them.

Hope this helps you.

Good fishing.

don3778

3. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Personally I use size 18 braided line for my jugs, it's 150lb test. For hooks I use 2/0 big-eye trotline hooks.
    Now this is just my opinion on the size of fish.
    Flatheads and Blues over 20lbs and Channel cats over 10lb get released, unless the fish hooked deep or bleeding from the gills. I feel the catfish this size and up are the prime broodfish. Also they have alot of yellow and red meat which needs to be trimmed off to keep the meat from tasting real strong, to me it's just too much waste. Again this is just my opinion on size, whatever you decide works for you is alright.

4. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Brother John;
    First, :big_smile:WELCOME ABOARD!!:big_smile:
    Second, it looks like Brother Price has you well on your way to starting out one way that is right. :big_smile: I'm sure others will see you post and chip in other ideas for you too.
    Again, WELCOME ABOARD. I think you will find your BOC experience a Life Changing one.
    Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

5. odtimr

odtimr New Member

State:
    nebraska
    John
    Can't help you with noodles or jugs as both are illegal to fish with here in Nebraska, so if visiting here just bring you R&R's. Would like however to welcome you to the BOC "greatest fishing site on the web" Luck

6. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Welcome to the BOC John. I cant really saymuch on the jug fishing thing but as for the eating of big fish. I try to CPR all fish that I dont intend to eat. I would imagine that bigger fish are pretty delicious if cleaned and prepared right. The smaller fish are easier to clean and taste outstanding!

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Welcome ,John. I have no input on jug fishing ,as we are not allowed to use them in New Mexico. But on size ,its all up to you,I keep only as many as needed ,or only one or two big fish once in a while ,but since I havent got to fish much this year i have kept 6 12" bullheads ,and that helped my lake get rid of a few.if keeping the larger fish there is a fair amount of waste in red meat and fatty yellow meat ,so i just keep 3-10 lbrs mostly.

8. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    Welcome to the BOC. from Arkansas.

9. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Welcome to the BOC John, its a really great place to learn and to share. I used to jug fish and limb line some years ago. We used trotline line to make both. I only use r&r now.

10. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Welcome to the BOC. I used 150# braided nylon(black) and 6/0 khale hooks. It depends if you are on flats or in creek channels or coves. Try a hook 3-5' below surface and one at 10-12' below surface. It was trial and error most of the time for me.

11. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    welcome to the boc john

12. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Welcome to the BOC, were glad your here!!

13. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    John,
    Welcome to the BOC from Indiana.

14. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Welcome to the BOC John! :big_smile:

15. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    First off WELCOME to the BOC John. I don't jug fish but I do know a little about it. Since you don't want to be replacing lines but every other year, go with what these guys have recommended, 150lb nylon cord or something similar. I don't really think mono is as easy to work with but I may be wrong. If fishing shallow lake flats, you can vary the depth of your bait and which ever gets the most hits, well you found the right depth. Its sorta the same on a river but after dark most of the big fish will be patrolling the bank from 1 to 12ft off. In depths of 1 to 10ft. Its hard to catch fish in the middle cause there isn't much bait out there unless there is a feature that is drawing them there. You would probably due best having your bait around 1 to 3ft under the jug. In the daytime they will be deeper and maybe in totally different areas.

16. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    John Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois.